Last Updated on
There’s nothing worse than throwing on a vest top and then remembering you have stubbly underarms. But when you shave, stubble seems to grow back after just a few days and it’s hard to keep on top of it. Wouldn’t it be nice to not have to worry, and know your armpits would stay smooth for several weeks at a time?
Well, what if I told you that this doesn’t have to be just a pipe dream? Epilating is an easy, long-lasting hair removal system that could help keep the hair on your underarms low, and your confidence high. Epilators keep hair away for up to 4 or even 6 weeks. They have the same long-lasting effects as waxing but without the price tag. You do have to pay for the upfront cost of an epilator. After this, however, the machine can run for years with no further costs. Whereas you could blow the same cost on a wax every 6 weeks!
An epilator works by tweezing out your underarm hairs or other body hairs from the root. A rotating head is attached to an electronic handheld device. The head is essentially covered in loads of little pairs of tweezers that grab and remove your hair. The main drawback of epilating is that it can be quite painful. However, the pain is a fairly similar level to that of wax. Also, every time you epilate, the easier it becomes. The hair grows back finer and slower each time, and comes out more easily and with increasingly less pain.
So if you are considering buying an epilator, you have come to the right place. Take a look at this list of 10 of the top epilators for your underarms below!
- Best Epilators for Underarms (2020 Update)
- 1. Braun Silk-épil 9 9-579 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 7 extras
- 2. Philips Satinelle HP6401/50 Essential, Compact Hair Removal Epilator
- 3. Hizek 2 in 1 Cordless Rechargeable Epilator with Lady Shaver Attachment
- 4. Philips Satinelle Bre615 Advanced Hair Removal Epilator
- 5. Braun Silk-épil 7 7-561 – Wet & Dry Cordless Electric Epilator, Ladies’ Electric Shaver and Trimmer
- 6. Emjoi AP-18 Emagine Dual Opposed 72 Tweezer Head Epilator
- 7. Keda Cordless Epilator Rechargeable with USB Recharge
- 8. Watolt 4 in 1 Rechargeable Epilator and Hair Remover
- 9. Emjoi AP-9PB Gently Silken Rechargeable Epilator
- 10. Kibiy 3 in 1 Rechargeable Hair Remover, with Epilator, Electric Shaver, Razor and Callus Remover Pedicure Tool
- What is an epilator?
- How does an epilator work
- Does epilating hurt?
- Are epilators good?
- How to epilate underarms
- Popular Articles
Best Epilators for Underarms (2020 Update)
1. Braun Silk-épil 9 9-579 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 7 extras
When you are dealing with a sensitive area like your underarms, you want a product you can trust and that will get the job done as quickly as possible. For this reason, you will love Braun’s cutting-edge MicroGrip tweezer technology with tweezers that are wider, longer and deeper than before. This means they remove your hairs with speed and precision, and can even grab hairs 4X shorter than wax can. It works on both wet and dry skin so want to epilate your underarms in the bath or shower? No problem!
This epilator set comes with various different attachments. Therefore as well as smooth underarms, you can trim your pubic area with the shaver attachment, and even cleanse with the bonus facial cap brush. Although epilating can hurt, the Braun Silk-épil 9 9-579 claims to be virtually painless with consistent use. The massage cap and skin contact cap can also be great in areas like armpits to reduce pain.
- Cordless and rechargeable epilator
- Waterproof, can be used in bath or shower
- Includes 7 attachments
- Removes hairs as short as 0.5mm
- Pivoting head follows contours of body for close hair removal
- Smart light to catch even the finest hairs
- Higher price than many other models
- You can’t use the product while it is charging and the battery life is not so long
2. Philips Satinelle HP6401/50 Essential, Compact Hair Removal Epilator
Want an underarm epilator you can rely on without having to remember to charge it up all the time? Do you want a decent product without having to shell out a small fortune? The Philips Satinelle Essential may be one of the best effective and reliable epilators on the market. It is perfect for use on your calves and thighs, as well as sensitive zones like the pits. It is corded so it will always work with power straight from the mains. However this means it can only be used in dry conditions, as you don’t want to electrocute yourself!
Despite having a super affordable price tag, similarly to the Braun Silk-epil, the Satinelle grabs hairs from as short as 0.5mm. It is perfect for leaving your armpits smooth as silk and even has an efficiency cap to help reduce the pain in your underarms during epilation. This efficiency cap is advised particularly if you are a first time user. This device is easy to use, simply turn on the epilator and hold it to the skin over the hair removal areas. Pull it in the opposite direction to your hair growth at a 90 degree angle.
- Corded device
- Includes an efficiency cap
- Two speed settings
- Good value for money
- Hair removal for hairs up to 0.5mm
- Washable head that’s easy to clean
- Only for dry use
- Some people complained of the loud motor
3. Hizek 2 in 1 Cordless Rechargeable Epilator with Lady Shaver Attachment
A two in one epilator and shaver, with a small size and easy-grip ergonomic handle. This epilator is one of the best for being on the move and travel. It has a bright LED light built into it, so no matter where you are, you won’t miss a hair when you epilate.
The 36-tweezer epilator head works efficiently to pull out your armpit hairs from the root. It will pick up hairs from 2mm long, so make sure your hairs are at least this long before starting. If you do then the Hizek epilation device should leave your skin smooth for up to 4 weeks.
With 2 speeds this device performs well for those with sensitive skin, while giving an efficient, quick option to remove hair for those with a normal skin type. The different head attachments help control the pain, and the little cleaner brush allows easy maintenance.
- Cordless, rechargeable epilator with USB charger cord
- 2 speed settings
- 2 in 1 device with epilation head and shaver head
- Compact size plus cordless design make it ideal for travel
- LED light built into the design
- Can be used in wet and dry
- Doesn’t remove hair as short as some epilators
- Some people thought the materials were not high quality
4. Philips Satinelle Bre615 Advanced Hair Removal Epilator
If you are looking for the best epilators for underarms, the Philips Satinelle Bre615 is ideal, and is branded as the preferred epilator for sensitive areas! The ceramic tweezing discs are specially designed to rotate as quickly as possible in order to grab hairs from the root and stay gentle on the skin. It was also specifically tested on the armpits and highlighted as a good facial epilator too. Other hair removal methods like waxing, pull up skin cells at the same time as hairs, leaving already sensitive areas more delicate. This epilator also comes with 2 precision caps which help keep skin taut, target more specific areas (for example for epilator facial use) and make epilating less painful.
This model is wireless and rechargeable, with a battery life of around 40 minutes. It can be used on wet or dry skin. The epilation head is extra wide to pull more hairs out at once, and it has 32 tweezers for efficient hair removal.
- Wireless epilator with 40 minute battery life
- Use on wet or dry skin
- Comes with 2 precision heads and carry bag
- Two speed settings
- Special design best for sensitive areas
- Precision caps to target small areas
- Extra wide epilating head
- Some people found they had to go over the same area multiple times to remove all hair
- Slower for hair removal than some epilators
5. Braun Silk-épil 7 7-561 – Wet & Dry Cordless Electric Epilator, Ladies’ Electric Shaver and Trimmer
The brand’s most gentle model, the Braun Silk Epil 7 7-561 is one of the best for your underarms and sensitive areas. In fact, it was named being most gentle on the skin in an external study at the IPI Institute in Stuttgart, 2013. It claims virtually painless hair removal when you use it regularly and has a full 40 tweezers in the head for fast, precision epilation.
The Braun Silk epil 7 7-561 is cordless allowing for easy maneuvering, angling and access to difficult areas. It comes with 6 extras including a trimmer cap so you can prepare your hair to the optimum length before epilating. It is fine for both wet and dry use, and was actually designed specially for use in the shower to give a more comfortable, pain free experience when using an epilator.
- Waterproof epilator for wet and dry use
- Smart inbuilt light for precision hair removal
- Head with 40 tweezers
- Best epilator for gentle hair removal in sensitive areas
- Pivoting head follows body’s contours and removes hairs up to 0.5mm
- Designed for use in the shower for a more comfortable experience
- The battery life is only 40 minutes so you must remember to keep it charged
- Sometimes it can pinch skin in the spinning head
6. Emjoi AP-18 Emagine Dual Opposed 72 Tweezer Head Epilator
The curved body-hugging shape of the Emjoi AP-18 Emagine along with the ergonomically engineered handle, make this epilator super easy to operate and comfortable to use. It is gentle enough to remove hair in delicate areas making it ideal for the armpits. But don’t worry, that by no means makes this product less effective. With 72-tweezers on the head, more than any other epilator on the market, hairs will be pulled out from the root faster than ever before, leaving you with delightfully smooth pits for up to 6 weeks!
The Emagine epilator is one of the first models ever to also provide antimicrobial protection to keep you safe from infection. New innovative technology also reduces the chance of ingrown hairs as the special ‘lifting fingers’ lift up flat, short hairs to make sure no hair is missed as well as reduce irritation.
- 72-tweezer epilator head
- Corded and cordless options
- 2 speed options
- More tweezers than any other epilator on the market meaning hairs lift out first time
- Removes hair as short as 0.5mm
- Special technology to prevent ingrown hairs and offer microbial protection
- Some people complained the product was too noisy
- Some people said the tweezers can dull with time
7. Keda Cordless Epilator Rechargeable with USB Recharge
On a budget and looking for the best bargain underarm epilator? The Keda Cordless epilator is in one of the lowest price brackets out there but it still does an excellent job removing hair, particularly in delicate areas. This makes it perfect for removing hair from your pits, made even easier with the in-built LED light to illuminate even the tiniest of hairs.
This is an 18-tweezer product with 2 speed settings, offering a slightly gentler option for those that want it, particularly good for beginners. The device is wireless, portable and rechargeable. It comes with a USB charger so you can charge it anywhere, even the car. That means this epilator is the best for both home use and for travel.
- Cordless, rechargeable epilator
- 2 speeds to choose from
- 18-tweezer head
- Budget-friendly price
- Built-in LED light to allow for thorough epilation
- Full refund is offered to unsatisfied customers
- Washable epilator head
- Epilator is only for dry use
- Long charging time (8 hours) for 40 minutes run time, recommended to charge overnight
8. Watolt 4 in 1 Rechargeable Epilator and Hair Remover
This epilator is one of the best choices for all over hair removal of the body! It comes with 4 heads including the epilation head and a shaver and razor, it even throws in a foot buffer for good measure. The 4 heads are all UV sterilized meaning they are hypoallergenic. They won’t irritate, cause any allergic reactions, and allow for clean, safe hair removal.
The epilator pulls hair out from the root allowing for long-lasting results, and is effective all over but is great for your underarms. The device is totally portable and rechargeable. You can charge it anywhere and the small, light design means it’s perfectly suited for travel. Changing the heads is pretty simple and they are washable too meaning it is easy to maintain the product and keep it working at its best.
- 4 in 1 hair remover with epilating head, shaver, razor and foot buffer
- Cordless, rechargeable epilator
- Can be used all over body
- Heads are easy to change
- Good value for money
- Ergonomic handle design
- Wide head can mean hard to angle into some areas
- Must remember to keep it charged
9. Emjoi AP-9PB Gently Silken Rechargeable Epilator
If you are searching for the best epilator for underarms you might want to consider the Emjoi AP-9PB Gently Silken epilator. The curved and open epilating head allows the device to follow and adapt to the body’s curves more easily, making it perfect for areas such as the underarms. It has 18 tweezers in the head, slightly smaller than some other models, meaning it allows easy and precise access to underarms and other areas.
This epilator has the option of being either used plugged into the mains or completely cordless. The cord is provided for either use. This is great as it means you can use it in the cordless mode for epilating in any hard to reach areas, or in the corded mode if you didn’t have time to charge it up.
- Cordless or corded use available
- 18-tweezer head
- 2 speed options
- Reasonably budget-friendly price
- Curved and open epilation head following body’s curves more easily
- Great for use in sensitive zones
- Some people said the returns policy was complicated
- On some review sites people did leave a reply in the comments saying they found grip on the hairs lacked power
10. Kibiy 3 in 1 Rechargeable Hair Remover, with Epilator, Electric Shaver, Razor and Callus Remover Pedicure Tool
The final product in the best epilator for underarms list is the Kibiy 3 in 1 hair remover. Like other models, the Kibiy epilator comes with 3 additional attachments like the shaver head and foot buffer. The epilator is powerful and speedy with 30 tweezers on the head. It can be used all over the body but is highlighted as great for use in sensitive skin zones like the underarms.
For the price this epilator, it is one of the best designed in terms of its pivoting head to fit with bodily contours, and built-in light for ultimate precision to remove hair. It has quite a long charge time but luckily, like all the best epilators, it can be used both as a corded or cordless product.
- 3 in 1 tool for epilating, shaving and pedicure
- 2 speeds
- Can be used corded or cordless, charger takes 8 hours for 40 minutes run time
- 30-tweezer head
- Economical price
- Effective long-lasting hair removal for underarms
- Dual speed allows softer option for sensitive zones like underarms
- When epilating very fine hairs, it can require several tries to remove all with the epilator in the same area
- Long charging time
What is an epilator?
An epilator is an electric hair removal device that pulls hairs from the root and can be used all over the body, including underarms. This hair removal method is similar to waxing, unlike shaving which cuts the hairs, and attains similar results, although epilating is more gentle on the skin. This is because the sticky wax pulls up skin cells along with the hair whereas using an epilator pulls up hairs without irritating the skin.
How does an epilator work
Epilating essentially works with many tiny pairs of tweezers attached to a rotating roller on an electric device. Once you turn this on and pull it over areas of body hair at a 90 degree angle, the tweezers will pull up the hairs from the root. It can usually pull hairs between 0.5mm and 3mm, but check the instructions of each model.
Does epilating hurt?
Unfortunately, yes. One of the main drawbacks of epilation is that it can be fairly painful. Pain levels may rival those of waxing, although some people report it hurts a little more or less than waxing depending on their experience. As it just pulls out the hairs, it does not irritate the skin, and the pain is very instantaneous. It disappears straight after hair is removed although you may have bumps and redness for a day or so after epilating.
Are epilators good?
Yes, epilating is a very effective and efficient hair removal system. Epilators are durable and long-lasting, saving you money on other hair removal products or waxes. They are good for the environment as you don’t need to use disposable razors that end up in the landfill. Also, the effects are extremely long-lasting, and you can stay smooth for up to 4 or 6 weeks, as opposed to just a couple of days with shaving.
How to epilate underarms
To epilate your underarms you should first have a shower to open your pores and clean the skin. Make sure your hair is at the required length for the epilator, usually 2mm to 3mm, but this varies model to model. If it is too long you can use a trimmer first. Dry the area and then switch on the epilator. Lift one arm in the air, exposing your pit and stretching out the skin and then pull the epilator down over the area of hair at a 90-degree angle to the skin. Once all hair has been removed, moisturize the area or apply ice to reduce redness.
Want to Epilate other areas? Check out other reviews:
So there you have it. The best epilators for your underarms. If you are hoping to get into epilating, hopefully, you feel a little more knowledgeable on the type of device you might want after reading the 10 top models in the list above. With all sorts of features to choose from; corded, cordless, massage heads and ergonomic handles the decision can seem overwhelming. But don’t worry, any product from the best epilator for underarms list above will help keep your pits smooth for weeks. So what are you waiting for?
Popular ArticlesView All Posts
Some of us don’t like hair down there, and prefer our pubic area to be smooth. Now I’m not talking just a short back and sides, but full on brazilian-style smooth. If that sounds like you, then you have probably[...]
Hair removal is a time-consuming ritual. We go to great lengths to remove hair from all over our bodies, not stopping until our pins, pits and faces look middle-aged celebrity, post-surgery smooth. For those of us that get excess facial[...]
So you want to buy an epilator. Well done. You have taken the first step towards long-lasting, low maintenance hair removal. As well as saving a hell of a lot of money along the way. No more awkward and expensive[...]