Last Updated on
So you want to buy an epilator. Well done. You have taken the first step towards long-lasting, low maintenance hair removal. As well as saving a hell of a lot of money along the way. No more awkward and expensive wax appointments. No more fighting with cheap disposable razors that seem to cut your skin rather than hairs, not to mention their impact on the environment. And better than that, say hello to several weeks of smooth, hairless legs rather than stubble that seems to grow back after a couple of days.
Yes, the world of epilating has a number of benefits. But somehow many people still opt for other hair removal methods. Perhaps the main deterrent is that epilating is painful. Yes, I can’t lie. It does hurt. An epilator essentially works by many tiny pairs of tweezers pulling each hair out by the root, which as it sounds, does sting. But actually, if you’ve ever had a wax, it doesn’t hurt any more than this. In fact many people find epilating hurts less than waxing. And good news! The longer you epilate for, the easier and less painful it becomes, similar to waxing. And the hairs will even start to grow back finer and more slowly. What’s not to love?
So you have decided on using an epilator to get smoother legs. Now all that’s left is to choose one. Well we have created a list of the top 10 epilators for legs out there on the market to make your decision a little easier. Take a look!
- Best Epilators for Legs (2020 Update)
- Philips Satinelle Essential, Compact Hair Removal Epilator for Legs, HP6401/50
- Keda Cordless Epilator for Legs and Arms, Rechargeable with USB Recharge
- Braun Silk-épil 9 9-579 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 7 extras
- Hizek 4 in 1 Cordless Wet & Dry Electronic Epilator Including Lady Shaver, Body Exfoliation Brush and Body Massager
- Emjoi AP-18 Emagine Dual Opposed 72 Tweezer Head Epilator
- Panasonic ES-ED90-P Wet/Dry Epilator and Shaver, with Six Attachments including Pedicure Buffer for Foot Care
- Epilady Legend 4th Generation Rechargeable Epilator
- Braun Epilator Silk-epil 3 3-270 with 3 extras including shaver
- Watolt 4 in 1 Rechargeable Epilator and Hair Remover
- Remington Smooth & Silky Deluxe Rechargeable Epilator, Purple, EP7030E
Best Epilators for Legs (2020 Update)
Philips Satinelle Essential, Compact Hair Removal Epilator for Legs, HP6401/50
The top epilator on this list to remove hair from your legs, has to be the Philips Satinelle Essential Epilator. This is an epilator that provides premium quality for a super budget-friendly price. It is specially designed to remove the shortest of hairs, as short as 0.5 mm, straight from the root. That means it can grab hairs as small as a grain of sand, and will actually leave your legs feeling smooth for up to 4 weeks.
Although this epilator works on super short hairs, for optimum results, try epilating when hairs are between 3 and 4 mm long. You should see more efficient removal as well as have a more comfortable experience.
How do you use the Philips Satinelle epilator? Plug it in and switch it on. Then simply run it over your legs at a 90 degree angle in the opposite direction to you hair growth. There are 2 different speed settings to choose from, the slower one taking a little longer but reducing the discomfort. The slower speed can be used in conjunction with the efficiency cap for any more delicate areas.
- Corded compact epilator for legs with 21-tweezer head
- 2 speed settings
- Washable epilation head
- Efficiency cap included
- Can remove hairs from 0.5 mm long
- Results last up to 4 weeks
- Budget-friendly product
- Only suitable for dry use
- Can cause red bumps after use and you may experience ingrown hairs
Keda Cordless Epilator for Legs and Arms, Rechargeable with USB Recharge
This dual-speed epilator is specially designed for best hair removal on the legs and also the underarms, although it can be used all over the body. It has 18 tweezers on the head and pulls out short hairs from the root. This product also has a low price so you don’t have to invest too much to reap good results. There is also a full refund offered if you are unhappy with the results.
It is a small cordless design that is USB chargeable. This means it is easy to carry around and use on the move. You can charge it up anywhere, even in the car! It does take 8 hours to charge however, so you might want to charge it overnight. The usage time is around 40 minutes.
This epilator should be used for dry use only. It has a built in LED light to show up any fine hairs and hard to reach places which makes for more precise hair removal with no missed patches. It comes with a cleaning brush to keep the head working efficiently. Overall this is a great, simple product that doesn’t cost the earth and does the job keeping your legs smooth.
- Cordless epilator with 18-tweezer head
- USB rechargeable with charging cable
- LED light built in for accurate hair removal
- Low price
- Cordless and portable
- Refund policy if you are unsatisfied
- Specially designed to remove hair on legs for up to 4 weeks
- Takes longer to charge than many other epilators
- Some people thought the epilator was not powerful enough
Braun Silk-épil 9 9-579 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 7 extras
If you want a quality product that can both remove your leg hair, keep you groomed in your intimate areas and even help massage and exfoliate, one of the best choices might be the Braun Silk-epil 9 9-579 epilator.
This multi-purpose product comes with a whole host of detachable heads including epilator for the legs and body, delicate area shaver head, massage head, exfoliator and even a free facial brush for good measure. The Braun Silk-epil epilator itself uses smart grip technology to grab hairs as short as 0.5mm. It has a pulsating vibration feature to ease pain during use as well as a pivoting head that bends with the contours of your body to get the closest hair removal possible.
One of the great features of the Braun Silk-epil is that it can be used in both wet and dry conditions. It is totally portable and cordless as well as waterproof. This means you can take it into the shower or bath to epilate, no problem!
- Cordless multi-use epilator
- Includes 7 different attachments
- 40% wider head than other Braun models
- Removes hairs 4 times shorter than waxing does
- Low pain when epilating
- Can be used in the shower or bath
- On the higher price end
- Returns policy means you have to send back all parts even if just one breaks
Hizek 4 in 1 Cordless Wet & Dry Electronic Epilator Including Lady Shaver, Body Exfoliation Brush and Body Massager
Another multi-purpose epilator set but with a more economical price tag, the Hizek epilator set boasts 4 different functions with changeable head attachments. Epilation, shaving, exfoliation and massage all in one device.
Check this out if you want a wide epilation head to perform quicker and easier epilation. This device is great for removing short hairs from around 2mm so for the best results make sure your hair has reached at least this length. Then use this machine at a 90 degree angle and pull it against the grain of the hair. This allows for easy and effective epilation that is also more comfortable.
This device is chargeable with a USB charging cord and then it works for 60 minutes and is totally wireless and portable. This device can also be used in the shower or bath and is totally waterproof.
Because using epilators pulls hairs out from the route, when they regrow they can get caught under the surface of the skin causing ingrown hairs in the hair follicle. It is important to keep your skin exfoliated and moisturized to help reduce the risk of ingrown hairs. That’s why the body exfoliator and massage attachments are great additions to this purchase.
- 4 in 1 device with 42-tweezer epilator head, exfoliator head, massage head and shaver head.
- Cordless and rechargeable design
- Waterproof so can be used in wet or dry
- Can remove short hairs from legs from 2 mm long
- Compact size and wireless design means easy epilation anywhere
- Wide epilator head for increased reach
- Exfoliation brush to prevent ingrowing hairs
- Some people complained that the battery life was not long enough
- Some people found the device noisy to run
Emjoi AP-18 Emagine Dual Opposed 72 Tweezer Head Epilator
This Emoji AP epilator has a head made of 72 tweezer sets. This is more than any other model I have seen on the market meaning that it is super efficient and removes most hairs on the first go! It uses specialized technology to catch every hair. One of the tweezer discs is fixed, while the two others open and close grabbing any strays. The epilator head also has antimicrobial properties fighting any signs of infection during hair removal.
This epilator is super easy to use. It has an easy-grab ergonomic handle and is simple to move around and angle. It can be both corded or cordless. The benefit of this is that you don’t have to worry about charging it but also you don’t have to be limited on where you can move the device.
- Gentle epilator with 72 tweezers
- Dual speed control
- Staggered dual-opposed heads
- More tweezers on the head than any other epilator so best at providing extra smooth skin for up to 4 weeks
- 30 day money back guarantee
- Removes hair from 0.5 mm
- Antimicrobial protection
- Some people stated the product didn’t last much over one year
- It is not wireless and needs to be plugged in for use
Panasonic ES-ED90-P Wet/Dry Epilator and Shaver, with Six Attachments including Pedicure Buffer for Foot Care
Do you have sensitive skin? Check out the Panasonic ED-ED90-P Wet and Dry Epilator. Epilators pull out the hair from the root but without pulling up skin cells along with it like a wax does. This means epilating is better for skin that is already sensitive. This Panasonic device also comes with various other attachments including a shaver with hypoallergenic blades, which is also best for sensitive skin types.
A top feature of this product is that it is waterproof and can be used in the bath or shower. This also means it is easy to clean, something that should be done regularly to keep it in top condition. The pivoting, double-tiered head fits easily into the body’s contours allowing for efficient hair removal and leaving you with smooth skin for up to 4 weeks. It grabs hairs between 2 and 3 mm long. The product is wireless and takes just 1 hour to charge up for 30 minutes of operating time. It has a little inbuilt light which helps get more effective hair removal.
Finally, as an added bonus, this product comes with a foot pedicure head that helps to remove dead and dry skin from the feet. I mean, why not?
- Epilator with 6 attachments including shaver and foot pedicure buffer and gentle epilator head for comfort
- Cordless and rechargeable
- Wet or dry use
- Flexi head that can move with the contours of the body
- Handy built-in LED light
- Comfort epilation head included for less painful use
- 2 year warranty
- Short battery life
- Price point on the higher end for an epilator
Epilady Legend 4th Generation Rechargeable Epilator
A quick functional epilator for women with all hair types and colors. This epilator is not just best for legs but can also be used all over the body. It removes fine hair and short hair and leaves your skin feeling silky smooth for 4 to 6 weeks. Epilating is both a cost effective and environmental choice as you have no need to spend money on waxing and don’t throw away countless disposable razors or blades.
The legend 4 boasts 31,000 tweezes per minute. With the extra wide epilating head, this means the epilation process is swift and effective. The specially designed handle is easy to grip and manoeuvre, and it has rubber points making it non-slip. It can be both cordless and corded, making it one of the best epilators for both home and travel.
- Effective epilator that can remove hair leaving smooth skin from 4 to 6 weeks
- Both cordless and corded options
- Only for dry use
- No chemicals or wax in this product
- Easy grip handle for precision use
- Wide head for more effective hair removal
- Some people felt it lost power after time
- Some reviews said you needed to go over some areas more than once for full hair removal
Braun Epilator Silk-epil 3 3-270 with 3 extras including shaver
This Braun Silk-epil epilator is recommended as one of the best for removing leg and body hair. It has a 20-tweezer system to remove hair as well as massage rollers to help plump and stretch the skin. This makes the epilation of hair more effective and reduces pain during use, a relief for sensitive skin. The massage rollers also help to improve the appearance of the skin and increase circulation.
What it has over other models is that it includes a smart light to show up those fine hairs you might otherwise miss. To use you don’t need to apply much pressure, just roll the device over your legs and body in the opposite direction to the hair growth. It has 2 speed settings to choose from and it is wireless, so it can be used anywhere including the bath or shower!
This product comes with 3 different heads including a shaver head and trimmer comb. These are perfect for trimming pubic areas so along with epilating your legs, you no longer need multiple hair removal products.
- 20-tweezer epilator
- Cordless and rechargeable so you can take it and use it anywhere you like
- Smart light built in
- 3 different heads including shaver and trimmer
- Epilation head has inbuilt massage cushions for comfort
- Light allows for identifying even finest hairs
- Best for leg and body
- Only 40 minute operating time
- Some people found the motor was too loud
Watolt 4 in 1 Rechargeable Epilator and Hair Remover
If you are looking for long-lasting hair removing results for a reasonable price check out the Watolt 4 in 1 Epilator pack.
The 4 different attachments work together to help you remove the hair from your whole body and leave your skin feeling smooth and hairless. The epilation head is recommended for use on the legs, the razor and shaver are ideal for sensitive skin areas like the bikini area or facial zones, and the foot buffer head is best for removing dry foot skin. All heads are UV-sterilized making them hypoallergenic and best for sensitive skin.
This device is lightweight and portable and easy to take with you while traveling around. It is made with good quality materials and works to effectively pull up hairs and keep you feeling smooth for longer.
- 4 interchangeable heads for removing hair
- Comes with cleaning brush to help keep best results
- Inbuilt light
- Epilator pulls up hair from the root and eventually reduces hair growth with continued use
- Washable head for easy maintenance
- Can be used on all skin types
- Some people claimed it did not get shorter hairs successfully so you need to make sure your hair reaches the specified length before use
- Charge can run out quicker than desired
Remington Smooth & Silky Deluxe Rechargeable Epilator, Purple, EP7030E
This Remington epilator has specialized technology to achieve the title’s ‘smooth and silky’ effect.
It uses a high 40 tweezers in the epilation head to pull up leg and body hairs from the root. The flexi, pivoting head allows the device to move and find the right angle no matter where on your body you are using it. There are various different caps that come with the product including a massaging cap with aloe vera. This helps soothe areas like legs, armpits or pubic areas as well as helping replenish dry skin.
This product is cordless and rechargeable which also helps you reach difficult to access areas and get rid of hair as efficiently as possible. There is also an indicator light that shows when the device has low battery.
- 40-tweezer epilation head for best coverage and smooth leg skin for between 4 and 6 weeks
- Wireless and rechargeable
- Waterproof and ok for wet and dry use
- Pivoting head for closer hair removal
- Different caps for massage or precision
- Integrated light to gain best results
What is an epilator?
Epilators are motorized devices for removing hair on the legs or body. They are essentially made up of a roller that is covered in many pairs of tweezers that pull out all the hairs from the root, not cutting them at the surface like a razor. This roller is dragged over the skin’s surface so the tweezers can do their magic.
How to use an epilator?
To use an epilator you should first shower and then dry the skin. Turn the epilator on and add any desired precision or massage caps to the top. Holding the epilator at a 90 degree angle, pull it over the area where you want to remove the hair against the direction of the hair growth. Make sure the device touches the skin but no need to apply pressure. Repeat as many times as necessary and be sure to moisturize skin afterwards!
How does an epilator work?
Epilators are basically many small pairs of tweezers attached to a device that pull up individual hairs from the root – but all at once. This means that their effects last much longer than shaving where the hair is only cut. When you roll the epilator over the desired area you will feel the tweezers in the epilation head pull up your hairs.
Are epilators good?
Yes, epilators are extremely effective hair removal devices. They give long lasting results as they remove the whole hair from its roots, similar to a wax. They can be quite painful to use however, and so some prefer to use other less painful methods.
So after digging into the top 10 I hope you are feeling a little more enlightened. It’s time to start your new journey into a low maintenance hair removal routine. Will you choose a wireless one, a wet or dry use device? A multi-use device or perhaps a portable one that’s ideal for travel? Good luck!