Last Updated on
Today’s a good day to improve your complexion. Start with one of the best face washes and cleansers for blackheads. Why? Because they will shrink your pores and make your skin soft and less oily.
Many of the top faces washes for blackheads dissolve the oil that causes the clog. There are also salicylic acid cleansers (SA) for blackheads that physically scrub away the problem.
Having blackheads don’t mean that you have a dirty face. They appear when the sebum, or oil, in your pores oxidize. It’s a chemical reaction, and you can fight it with the right tools.
Are you ready to get rid of those blackheads? We did the research to help you find the best facial cleansers. Keep reading to see our top picks. We hope you find exactly what you need.
- Best Face Washes (Cleansers) for Blackheads & Large Pores in 2020
- 1. Bioré Warming Anti-Blackhead Cleanser
- 2. Neutrogena Clear Pore Facial Cleanser & Face Mask
- 3. St. Ives Blackhead Clearing Face Scrub, Green Tea
- 4. ArtNaturals Clarifying Face Wash
- 5. Garnier Clean Scrub Blackhead Eliminating
- 6. Neutrogena Blackhead Eliminating Daily Facial Scrub
- 7. La Roche-Posay Ultra-Fine Face Scrub for Sensitive Skin
- 8. Clarins One-Step Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser
- 9. AcneFree Blackhead Removing Exfoliating Face Scrub
- 10. Clean & Clear Blackhead Eraser Facial Scrub
- 11. Body Merry Glycolic Acid Exfoliating Cleanser
- 12. Peter Thomas Roth 3% Glycolic Solutions Cleanser
- 13. AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser from Murad
- 14. La Roche-Posay Effaclar Medicated Gel Cleanser
- 15. Neutrogena Oil-Free Pink Grapefruit Acne Wash
- 16. dr. brandt Pores No More Cleanser
- 17. Replenix Acne Solutions Gly/Sal 5-2 Acne Cleanser
- 18. Vichy Normaderm Daily Deep Cleansing Gel Acne Face Wash
- 19. Aztec Secret – Indian Healing Clay Deep Pore Cleansing Facial & Body Mask
- 20. Proactiv Blackhead Dissolving Gel
- 21. Viking Revolution Microdermabrasion Face Scrub for Men
- 22. Neutrogena Blackhead Eliminating 2-1 Cleanser/Mask
- Which is the best cleanser for blackheads?
Best Face Washes (Cleansers) for Blackheads & Large Pores in 2020
1. Bioré Warming Anti-Blackhead Cleanser
The number one choice of many customers is the Bioré warming cleanser. When exposed to water, it heats up to better open your pores and dissolve excess oil. It also has 2% SA to ensure that the job gets done right. Even just one use makes a difference. Bioré says that the cleanser removes more than 90% of oil and dirt from the surface of the skin. Yet the formula is gentle enough for most people to use every day.
2. Neutrogena Clear Pore Facial Cleanser & Face Mask
Neutrogena Clear Cleanser and Mask are specifically designed to treat people who have acne. This face cleaning mask gives a cool effect as it enters deep into the large pores. It can be used daily as a cleanser or mask to clear acne and blackheads which causes impurities.
With the use of this cleanser you will get healthy-looking skin. This two in one formula has acne-fighting medicine to treat breakouts and prevents acne. It also ensures that no deposits are left behind leaving the skin smooth and fresh. This product is dermatological tested and consists of medicine to treat existing breakouts.
3. St. Ives Blackhead Clearing Face Scrub, Green Tea
The classic St. Ives face scrubs are a product almost everyone can recognize. The green tea version is especially targeted at blackheads. It contains both 1% SA and hand-picked tea leaves from China. As a result, it unclogs large pores, exfoliates dead skin, and soothes redness. You should only need to use it 3 to 4 times a week to get results.
4. ArtNaturals Clarifying Face Wash
The ArtNaturals Clarifying Wash is cruelty-free and doesn’t have parabens either. It uses natural ingredients like cucumber, seaweed, and aloe to deep-clean pores without leaving your skin red and raw.
5. Garnier Clean Scrub Blackhead Eliminating
Garnier’s blackhead eliminating scrub relies on SA to dissolve oil and charcoal to draw out impurities. With regular use, it keeps your complexion clear and reduces oiliness.
6. Neutrogena Blackhead Eliminating Daily Facial Scrub
If you’re fighting acne as well as blackheads, try the Neutrogena daily facial scrub. Don’t worry, it doesn’t have plastic microbeads. Instead, it has ecologically-friendly exfoliators along with SA. Plus, it’s mild enough to use every day.
7. La Roche-Posay Ultra-Fine Face Scrub for Sensitive Skin
La Roche-Posay’s ultra-fine scrub contains microparticles of pumice. It’s much milder than an apricot scrub. Moreover, it doesn’t contain alcohols, parabens, or even that could dry out your skin. Instead, this watery gel protects sensitive faces with a pH that matches the skin’s own natural acid levels.
8. Clarins One-Step Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser
The Clarins one-step cleanser makes use of organic cellulose beads. The beads exfoliate dead skin and impurities, then biodegrade safely. Meanwhile, orange extract revitalizes your complexion and brightens dull skin.
9. AcneFree Blackhead Removing Exfoliating Face Scrub
The AcneFree face scrub combines the power of charcoal, SA, and jojoba oil to blast away blackheads. As it removes excess oil and debris, it soothes the skin to reduce oil production.
10. Clean & Clear Blackhead Eraser Facial Scrub
The Clean and Clear Blackhead Eraser dissolves the oil and dead skin the clogged pores. At the same time, natural micro-scrubbers resurface your face. Then, your skin feels softer and your large pores look smaller.
11. Body Merry Glycolic Acid Exfoliating Cleanser
The Body Merry’s exfoliating cleanser unites three essential ingredients to eliminate blackheads. The first is willow bark, a natural form of SA. Next, it has glycolic acid, an exfoliant that works well alongside willow bark. And finally, it contains Kojic acid that lightens skin tone like hydroquinone. But this formula also purifies and nourishes your face with organic tea tree, rosehip, jojoba, and olive oils.
12. Peter Thomas Roth 3% Glycolic Solutions Cleanser
If you find that the typical acne cleansers leave your skin irritated, try the glycolic acid cleansing gel from Peter Thomas Roth. It’s very mild for sensitive skin. Also, the soothing lather only takes 60 seconds to do its job.
13. AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser from Murad
Murad’s exfoliating cleanser covers all the bases with glycolic, and lactic acids. It’s hard to find a face cleanser with this intense concentration. That only does it blow away blackheads and clear up breakouts, but it can also fade acne scars.
14. La Roche-Posay Effaclar Medicated Gel Cleanser
It’s hard to believe that La Roche-Posay’s Effaclar Medicated Cleanser is working when it’s so pleasant to use. This gel foams away impurities and makeup with 2% SA and zinc. Also important, it doesn’t have artificial fragrances or parabens.
15. Neutrogena Oil-Free Pink Grapefruit Acne Wash
Ask Neutrogena what their most popular face wash is and you’re likely to discover it’s the Pink Grapefruit. Lots of people around the world clean their faces every morning with this product. It has a perky citrus aroma to entertain your nose while it cleans your pores. Over time, the gentle exfoliating action can erase acne scars, too.
16. dr. brandt Pores No More Cleanser
The dr. brandt Pores No More is a top-selling Korean cleanser based on SA and tea tree oil. It dissolves the oil and debris that cause blackheads while it kills acne bacteria and calms irritation. After you use it, you’ll see that your pores look visibly smaller.
17. Replenix Acne Solutions Gly/Sal 5-2 Acne Cleanser
This Replenix acne cleanser also works on keratosis pilaris, those bumpy dry patches of skin on the back of your arms. It contains both glycolic and SA plus green tea extract. These three main ingredients cleanse pores, exfoliate dead skin, and keep breakouts at bay.
18. Vichy Normaderm Daily Deep Cleansing Gel Acne Face Wash
The Vichy Normaderm Deep Cleansing Gel was tested by customers who used it for a month. Seventy percent of them said that their skin texture was improved. Ninety percent said that their face looked healthier (i.e. fewer blackheads). That’s probably because the gel resurfaces the skin with glycolic, SA, and beta-lipo hydroxy acids. Although the combination sounds harsh, it’s actually mild enough to use morning and night.
19. Aztec Secret – Indian Healing Clay Deep Pore Cleansing Facial & Body Mask
Although it’s not a face wash, this Healing Clay Mask deep-cleanses pores. It uses bentonite clay to draw out debris and oil and purify your skin. You only need to use it once a week to make a difference. But plan on mixing it with apple cider vinegar and letting it work for ten minutes before you rinse.
20. Proactiv Blackhead Dissolving Gel
Proactiv’s blackhead dissolving gel has both SA and green tea extract to unclog pores and shrink them. The addition of aloe ensures that the skin stays soft and healthy. This cleanser can take up to five minutes to work, but you only need to use it once or twice a week to get rid of blackheads and maintain a healthy complexion.
21. Viking Revolution Microdermabrasion Face Scrub for Men
It may be called the Viking Revolution Facial Scrub, but we doubt that those Nordic wildmen had it this good. Natural plant oils, tapioca starch, and cellulose dissolve excess oil and exfoliate to unclog pores. It’s recommended to use this before you shave.
22. Neutrogena Blackhead Eliminating 2-1 Cleanser/Mask
Neutrogena lets you choose between using this scrub as a cleanser or a face mask. It just depends on how you apply it. Happy users say that their skin feels less oily and soft even if all their blackheads didn’t disappear after the first use. In general, it takes repeated applications over the course of a few days to clean out pores and shrink them.
Which is the best cleanser for blackheads?
Besides physical removal with tools like pore strips or a comedone spoon, your best bet is to stick with SA or glycolic acid face washes. They dissolve the oil that clogs the pores in the first place. They also help reduce inflammation so that pores shrink and skin makes less oil.
Scrubs will make you feel like you’re doing a great job of unclogging pores. But you run the risk of irritating the skin, even if it’s only on a microscopic level. Then you could end up with inflammation or infection and redness. If you choose to use a scrub, pick one of the ones in our reviews with gentle exfoliators like cellulose or jojoba beads. Then remember to use less pressure as you rub it with circular motions on your face.
Oddly enough, one of the best things you can do to prevent blackheads besides cleansing your face is to use moisturizer. Hydrating your skin keeps it happy so that it produces less oil. You can also apply toner to shrink the pores after you wash. Skip the alcohol-based formulas and stick with witch hazel. This natural toner calms irritation while it tightens up the skin.
At the time of writing, there was no single product that promised to remove blackheads 100% after only one use. In fact, it may take a week of cleansing daily for you to see a significant difference. On the bright side, using the best face washes and cleansers for blackheads has positive side effects. Not only do they smooth your face and revitalize your complexion, but they also minimize shine. In conclusion, we hope our reviews helped you find one of the best blackhead removers for your skin.