You can’t stand seeing them. They make your pores look huge. A quick search online reveals hundreds of different products. The problem is that most of them are just plain ineffective.
The good news is that we’ve done the research to find dermatologist-recommended products that actually work. Read our reviews of the best blackhead removal products on the market today.
- The Best Blackhead Remover Products (That Actually Work)
- 1. Professional Blackhead and Blemish Remover
- 2. BESTOPE Blackhead Remover Pimple Comedone Extractor Tool Best Acne Removal Kit
- 3. JPNK Blackhead Remover Tools
- 4. Nella Pore Jelly Pop Blackhead Remover
- 5. Advanced Revive Comedo Suction Microdermabrasion Blackhead Removal Device Rechargeable Skin Clearing Device By Protagen
- 6. Biore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips Combo Pack
- 7. Biore Deep Cleansing Charcoal Pore Strips
- 8. Holika Holika Pig Nose Clear Black Head 3-Step Kit
- 9. Bioré Charcoal Self-Heating One Minute Mask
- 10. Paula’s Choice CLEAR Pore Normalizing Cleanser
- 11. La Roche-Posay Effaclar Medicated Gel Cleanser
- 12. AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser from Murad
- 13. India’s Exotic Facial for Blackheads and Acne from Diva Stuff
- 14. Beauty by Earth Konjac Facial Sponge, 2 Pack Set
- 15. Clarisonic Mia Prima Sonic Cleansing Face Brush
- 16. ASDM Beverly Hills 20% Salicylic Acid Peel
- 17. Proactiv Blackhead Dissolving Gel
- 18. Aztec Secret – Indian Healing Clay Deep Pore Cleansing Facial & Body Mask
- 19. Mario Badescu Silver Powder
- 20. TruSkin Tea Tree Clear Skin Serum
- 21. AsaVea Black Peel Off Mask Blackhead Remover
- What are blackheads, really?
- What removes blackheads?
The Best Blackhead Remover Products (That Actually Work)
1. Professional Blackhead and Blemish Remover
As we mentioned above, this is the classic comedone spoon, also known as a blackhead remover. It’s made of surgical-grade stainless steel so you can (and should) disinfect it before each use.
To begin, wash your skin, then place a clean towel wet with warm water on the spot. Let the skin heat up for a couple of minutes. Sterilize the area for extra protection. Then press the extractor downward and forward with the blackhead in the middle of the loop. The pore should begin to release the clog.
You can wrap a finger in tissue for better traction, then press around the blackhead to extract more if needed.
2. BESTOPE Blackhead Remover Pimple Comedone Extractor Tool Best Acne Removal Kit
This comedone kit includes six tools for pimple extraction including different sizes of blackhead removers. One tool is a professional-grade electroplated needle. The tools are stainless steel with an antibacterial coating. But it’s still essential to disinfect them before and after use.
3. JPNK Blackhead Remover Tools
These tools are also for blackhead extraction. They have anti-slip handles so you’ll have precise control. Then everything comes in a leather carrying case.
4. Nella Pore Jelly Pop Blackhead Remover
Lay down those sharp metal tools and try the Pore Jelly Pop instead. This Korean-made product combines oil-dissolving ingredients with a silicone brush. Massage it over your nose for a couple of minutes to watch the magic happen.
5. Advanced Revive Comedo Suction Microdermabrasion Blackhead Removal Device Rechargeable Skin Clearing Device By Protagen
Before we review this pore vacuum, you need to know two things. The first is that this type of device may not be as effective as using manual tools. And second, use it carefully to avoid giving yourself hickeys, or worse, broken veins.
The Protagen model offers both microdermabrasion and pore cleansing functions. It comes with four attachment heads including strong suction, gentle suction, blackhead removal, and exfoliation. You can adjust the power level, too. Some owners use it to tighten their skin to erase fine lines and eliminate sag, too.
Since the device is compact and rechargeable, you can take it traveling. All you need is a phone charger or USB port to plug in the cable.
6. Biore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips Combo Pack
Bioré’s classic pore cleansing strips are likely something you’ve used before. If you apply them properly, you’ll end up peeling off a stiff strip covered in little deposits of sebum. Moreover, they are gentle enough that you can use them twice a week if needed.
Wash your face, then wet your skin. Press the strip down and smooth it out so that no part is dry or loose. Then wait for it to harden in ten to fifteen minutes. Lift up the edges moving toward the middle of the strip. Any leftover residue rinses away with water.
7. Biore Deep Cleansing Charcoal Pore Strips
Try the Deep Cleansing Charcoal strips to unclog pores and clear up blackheads. Bioré says you’ll pull out “weeks’ worth of gunk” and end up with less oily skin.
8. Holika Holika Pig Nose Clear Black Head 3-Step Kit
The Pig Nose Clear Blackhead kit solves the problem of needing to use more pore strips to remove the rest of the clogs you can still see after the first use. They have progressively gentler strips that continue the deep cleanse you need to finish the job.
9. Bioré Charcoal Self-Heating One Minute Mask
The self-heating mask from Bioré warms up when it comes in contact with water. All you need to do is wet your face, smooth on the mask, then enjoy the warmth. After only one minute, you can rinse away impurities. It works well enough that Allure gave them a Best of Beauty Award in 2015.
10. Paula’s Choice CLEAR Pore Normalizing Cleanser
The CLEAR cleanser from Paula’s Choice is formulated for acne-prone skin. It contains a mild 0.5% concentration of salicylic acid that unclogs pores. It’s more gentle than competing brands so that it won’t dry out the skin.
11. La Roche-Posay Effaclar Medicated Gel Cleanser
La Roche-Posay’s Effaclar Medicated Cleanser is a gel that foams away makeup and dirt. It contains 2% salicylic acid for gentle exfoliation. The acid also slows oil production while zinc absorbs excess oil and impurities. This makes it less likely that you’ll have blackheads in the future. There are no parabens or artificial perfumes so that it’s safe for sensitive skin.
12. AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser from Murad
Murad’s exfoliating cleanser combines glycolic, lactic, and salicylic acids for maximum cleansing and exfoliation. This has the effect of preventing blackheads and breakouts as well as making skin softer. Over time, it can fade acne scars, too.
13. India’s Exotic Facial for Blackheads and Acne from Diva Stuff
Try this gentle scrub to cleanse your skin of blackheads. It contains turmeric, kaolin clay, and other natural ingredients that dissolve oil so you can wash away the impurities clogging those pores.
14. Beauty by Earth Konjac Facial Sponge, 2 Pack Set
Konjac sponges are vegan, biodegradable, and chemical-free. They are a natural way to exfoliate your face and keep your pores clear. Over time, you’ll notice fewer blackheads as you use them each day.
In case you’ve wondered, they are made of plant fiber that nourishes the skin with vitamins and minerals as you use them. They start out hard but just need to soak in warm water for a minute to soften. Use the black sponge for oily skin and the white one on sensitive areas.
15. Clarisonic Mia Prima Sonic Cleansing Face Brush
Clarisonic’s sonic cleansing brushes have been around for more than a decade. Don’t let the idea of a motorized brush scare you away. It doesn’t scrub or tear at your face. Instead, it uses vibrations and a back-and-forth motion to clear away impurities. It’s even waterproof so you can enjoy it in the shower. You’ll see that several beauty sites recommend regular exfoliation with a Clarisonic to keep blackheads away.
16. ASDM Beverly Hills 20% Salicylic Acid Peel
You can also use salicylic acid peels to deep-clean pores and get rid of blackheads. This is a very gentle way to do the job. It takes time to work, but it also prevents new blackheads in the future.
The ASDM Beverly Hills peel is powerful enough to penetrate through the epidermis and dissolve sebum. It gets rid of acne bacteria so that you’ll experience fewer pimples, too. And it has no artificial fragrances, no parabens, and it’s cruelty-free.
17. Proactiv Blackhead Dissolving Gel
Proactiv’s gel combines salicylic acid and green tea extract with aloe vera to clarify pores. Leave it on for five minutes so it can dissolve clogs. Then repeat this once or twice a week to remove blackheads and keep them from coming back.
18. Aztec Secret – Indian Healing Clay Deep Pore Cleansing Facial & Body Mask
Although you might be extracting blackheads with tools, there’s no reason you can’t prevent new ones with a clay face mask. The Bentonite Clay in this product is 100% pure and free from additives of any kind. Once you apply it as a paste to your face, it absorbs excess oil and dirt to unclog pores and cleanse your face.
Use the mask once a week by mixing it with apple cider vinegar. Once you smooth it over your skin, let it work for up to ten minutes. Then rinse with lukewarm water. Be sure to moisturize as it can be drying.
19. Mario Badescu Silver Powder
Here’s one of the little-known secrets of the beauty world: Silver Powder. Even after only one application, you’ll notice a difference. (It doesn’t actually contain metal, but it does have oil-absorbers like zinc oxide, kaolin clay, and calcium carbonate.)
To use the powder, dampen a cotton ball, dip it in the container, then press the moistened powder on top of blackheads. Allow it to absorb the impurities for ten minutes, then wipe it off with an astringent like witch hazel.
20. TruSkin Tea Tree Clear Skin Serum
The TruSkin serum contains retinol, salicylic acid, and vitamin C plus Tea Tree oil to fight acne and shrink pores. It moisturizes while it tones. With regular use, it can break down the debris and oil that cause blackheads.
21. AsaVea Black Peel Off Mask Blackhead Remover
AsaVea black Peel Off Mask is a charcoal peel-off mask is made for all skin types including combination, oily and acne-prone skin. The charcoal blackhead remover can efficiently clean blackheads, acne, and oil spots. This peel-off mask is made from natural ingredients like orange fruit extracts, etc.
AsaVea Black Peel charcoal mask moisturizes and repairs uneven and dry skin. It also makes your skin soft and smooth. It makes your skin feel fresh throughout the day. The peel-off mask will shrink your pores and tightens your skin. It improves skin softness.
What are blackheads, really?
What happens when you cut an apple and leave the fruit exposed to the air? It oxidizes. That’s like what happens to your pores when they form blackheads. The sebum, or oil, and dead skin are clogging pores. The pores stay open and turn dark. It’s not that your skin is dirty—it’s a chemical reaction.
What removes blackheads?
Next, scrubs are okay as long as you’re not causing inflammation. Some people find that motorized cleansing brushes or Konjac sponges are effective for keeping their skin clear, too.
Then, we can’t deny the attraction of pore strips. They don’t always remove the complete clog but the results never fail to cause an impression.
Finally, you can remove single blackheads with a comedone spoon and other similar tools. Just be gentle. It’s not worth it to end up with a scar.
Now you’re armed and dangerous with all the product knowledge you need to wipe out blackheads. We hope you discovered the perfect combination of tools to clarify your skin and keep it clear, too. Mostly everyone can benefit from more than one of the best blackhead removal products.