Last Updated on
Pretty much everyone has to deal with a pimple now and then. But if you prefer to avoid the problem altogether, try one of the best face washes and cleansers for acne-prone skin. They will keep your pores clear and your skin clean. They’ll also keep excess oil under control.
Glycolic acid is also effective in the fight against acne. It exfoliates dead skin and reduces oiliness. And benzoyl peroxide is excellent for killing the bacteria that causes acne.
No matter what face wash you choose, be sure to moisturize after cleansing your face. Keeping your skin hydrated prevents it from making too much oil.
- Best Face Washes & Cleansers for Acne-Prone Skin in 2020
- 1. Paula’s Choice CLEAR Pore Normalizing Cleanser
- 2. DRMTLGY Natural Gentle Face Wash and Pore Cleanser for Women and Men
- 3. La Roche-Posay Effaclar Medicated Gel Cleanser
- 4. Vichy Normaderm Daily Deep Cleansing Gel Acne Face Wash
- 5. Clean & Clear Oil-Free Deep Action Cream Facial Cleanser Acne Medication
- 6. Clean & Clear 2-Pack of Day & Night Face Wash with Citrus Morning Facial Cleanser & Relaxing Night Facial Cleanser, Oil-Free & Hypoallergenic
- 7. Phisoderm Anti-Blemish Gel Cleanser
- 8. Lavo Best Glycolic Acid Face Cleanser for Oily and Acne-Prone Skin
- 9. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne and Redness Facial Cleanser
- 10. Neutrogena Oil-Free Pink Grapefruit Acne Wash
- 11. Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser
- 12. Beauty by Earth Natural Gel Daily Face Wash Anti Aging, Deep Pore Cleanser
- 13. Clay Lotus Organic Facial Cleanser for Acne-Prone, Oily Skin
- 14. Aveeno Clear Complexion Cream Facial Cleanser Blemish Treatment
- 15. skyn ICELAND Glacial Face Wash
- 16. dr. brandt Pores No More Cleanser
- 17. Replenix Acne Solutions Gly/Sal 5-2 Acne Cleanser
- 18. Bioré Blemish Fighting Ice Cleanser
- 19. Bioré Charcoal Acne Clearing Cleanser for Oily Skin
- 20. Glytone Mild Gel Cleanser
Best Face Washes & Cleansers for Acne-Prone Skin in 2020
1. Paula’s Choice CLEAR Pore Normalizing Cleanser
One of the most gentle face cleansers we selected is this one from Paula’s Choice. It won’t dehydrate sensitive skin because it has just 0.5% SA. But it still contains enough to unclog pores and exfoliate dead skin. You’ll hardly know that it’s working because it’s so pleasant to use. The silky texture glides on and lathers away oil and grime. Furthermore, there are no parabens or artificial fragrances in the formula.
2. DRMTLGY Natural Gentle Face Wash and Pore Cleanser for Women and Men
The DRMTLGY Natural Face Wash not only fights acne, but it also helps your skin resist aging. It does not contain sulfates, parabens, or artificial fragrances. Moreover, it has a low pH, or acid level, to protect against irritation and to help ingredients absorb properly.
This single cleanser unclogs pores, clears up blackheads, reduces blemishes, brightens skin tone, smoothes texture, moisturizes, and shrinks the appearance of pores. The ingredients that make all this happen include moisturizers like hyaluronic acid, aloe, and cucumber. Then, there are grapefruit and orange oils to revitalize dull skin. Plus, peptides and panthenol help rebuild texture while Clary Sage purifies.
Finally, you have 60 days to try the face wash. If you aren’t satisfied, DRMTLGY offers a money-back guarantee.
3. La Roche-Posay Effaclar Medicated Gel Cleanser
The Effaclar Medicated Cleanser from La Roche-Posay is made especially for users with oily skin. The 2% SA concentration slows down sebum production without completely stripping the skin of its natural oil. Therefore, it won’t dry out your face, but it does reduce shine. And the key ingredient, zinc pidolate, soaks up excess oil and removes impurities.
This gel cleanser pleased the Allure team so much that they granted it the Best of Beauty Award in 2016. It tingles a bit as you wash because it contains menthol. But it won’t disrupt your skin’s pH balance and won’t clog pores as it’s oil-free. There are also no artificial perfumes or parabens.
4. Vichy Normaderm Daily Deep Cleansing Gel Acne Face Wash
The Vichy Normaderm Deep Cleansing Gel got an overwhelmingly positive response from women who tested it for a month. Seventy percent of them reported better skin texture. But ninety percent said their skin looked healthier overall.
This face wash doesn’t just clear up and prevent acne, but it also fights signs of aging. It combines SA, glycolic and beta-lipo hydroxy acids that resurface the skin while they reduce oiliness and get rid of impurities. In addition, it’s gentle enough to use twice a day, and it does not contain alcohols or parabens.
5. Clean & Clear Oil-Free Deep Action Cream Facial Cleanser Acne Medication
Clean & Clear is a household name when it comes to facial washes. Their Deep Action Cleanser is safe for all skin types. It prevents breakouts with SA that penetrates into pores to rinse away impurities. But the wash also removes makeup and surface dirt. And it lathers well with a refreshing tingle while it works.
6. Clean & Clear 2-Pack of Day & Night Face Wash with Citrus Morning Facial Cleanser & Relaxing Night Facial Cleanser, Oil-Free & Hypoallergenic
Clean & Clear simplifies daily maintenance with this two-pack of face washes. One is a skin-brightening morning cleanser that smells citrusy fresh. It awakens your skin and brightens tone with ginger, ginseng, and cucumber extract.
The second is the nighttime cleanser with deep sea minerals and sea kelp. The relaxing fragrance and purifying formula clean and soothe your skin before bed.
7. Phisoderm Anti-Blemish Gel Cleanser
Phisoderm’s Anti-Blemish Cleanser has a pH-balanced formula to protect sensitive skin. Moreover, it lacks drying alcohols, artificial dyes, and even soap. But the 2% SA concentration is the highest you can get in an over-the-counter product.
8. Lavo Best Glycolic Acid Face Cleanser for Oily and Acne-Prone Skin
Lavo’s glycolic acid cleanser is appropriate for teenagers and adults alike. It resolves problems like blackheads, whiteheads, and excess oil. Additionally, it has unique features that set it apart from the competition.
First, it’s a cleansing oil, not the typical gel wash or liquid. Next, it has a potent blend of SA, glycolic, and lactic acid for superior exfoliation. Third, it contains natural ingredients that repair damage to the skin and get rid of acne. For example, soapwort extract dissolves oil without the need for drying sulfates. Then, vitamin B and lavender combine to reduce oil secretion and inflammation. Finally, watercress is full of antioxidant vitamins that heal damage caused by the sun.
9. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne and Redness Facial Cleanser
Neutrogena diminishes redness and irritation instead of causing it. When you wash your face with this product, it calms down the skin with aloe and chamomile. But it also deep cleans with SA.
10. Neutrogena Oil-Free Pink Grapefruit Acne Wash
Neutrogena’s most popular face wash might be this pink grapefruit version. The cheerful citrus scent aroma opens your eyes in the morning all the cleanser clears out your pores and even fades acne scars with repeated use.
11. Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser
Neutrogena’s Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser contains SA that’s derived from willow bark. It’s also free of parabens, dyes, sulfates, and phthalates. If you want the power of Neutrogena’s face wash without additional chemicals, try this one.
12. Beauty by Earth Natural Gel Daily Face Wash Anti Aging, Deep Pore Cleanser
Beauty by Earth avoids chemicals in favor of natural ingredients to balance and cleanse your skin. Instead of sulfates, parabens, and artificial aromas, the formula is hypoallergenic and cruelty-free.
Not only does it reduce oiliness and blackheads, but it also diminishes wrinkles and moisturizes your skin. It relies on fruit extracts and sea kelp to make your face radiant. Furthermore, if you aren’t happy with the results, they offer a full refund.
13. Clay Lotus Organic Facial Cleanser for Acne-Prone, Oily Skin
The Clay Lotus face wash is an artisanal cleanser that’s handmade with organic ingredients. There’s no artificial anything, and it’s 100% vegan and cruelty-free. But while all those features are important, does it actually clean your face?
Customers say yes, their skin feels soft and clean after they wash with it. Moreover, it’s packed with natural remedies like tea tree, neem, and holy basil oils. Tea tree kills acne bacteria and heals inflammation. Neem oil is also anti-inflammatory and antiseptic, plus it strengthens the skin against environmental pollution. Then, holy basil oil detoxifies and acts as a toner.
14. Aveeno Clear Complexion Cream Facial Cleanser Blemish Treatment
If you ever tried Aveeno’s lotion and found it soothing for your skin, give their Clear Complexion Cream cleanser a shot. While you wash away the grime of the day, crystalline wax microbeads and SA cleanse your pores and smooth your skin. Plus, the classic Aveeno soy complex protects and moisturizes, too.
15. skyn ICELAND Glacial Face Wash
The ICELAND face wash contains pure glacial water that refreshes your skin and relieves redness and irritation. Meanwhile, Icelandic kelp and Willow bark purify and moisturize. Additionally, you won’t need to worry about sulfates or parabens in the bottle.
16. dr. brandt Pores No More Cleanser
The dr. brandt Pores No More Cleanser contains SA extracted from willow bark, which is also the origin of aspirin. This invigorating wash fights acne with tea tree oil that kills bacteria and reduces inflammation. Also, it shrinks pores to make them nearly invisible.
17. Replenix Acne Solutions Gly/Sal 5-2 Acne Cleanser
Should you have both acne-prone skin and keratosis pilaris, this is the cleanser for you. The Replenix face wash combines 10% glycolic acid with 2% SA. This blend prevents breakouts and gets rid of bumpy dry patches, too. The inclusion of green tea extract diminishes redness while it keeps your skin looking younger.
18. Bioré Blemish Fighting Ice Cleanser
Bioré’s Blemish Fighting Ice Cleanser cools down your skin while it foams away impurities. Then, lavender and eucalyptus kill the bacteria that cause acne and infection.
19. Bioré Charcoal Acne Clearing Cleanser for Oily Skin
The Bioré Charcoal Cleanser is quite a bit stronger than the Ice Cleanser. You only need to use it two or three times a week. The charcoal action soaks up excess oil while the SA keeps pores clear.
20. Glytone Mild Gel Cleanser
Glytone’s Mild Gel Cleanser has just under half the concentration that other glycolic acid cleansers have. The 4.7% solution is gentle for sensitive skin, but still effective at reducing breakouts and oiliness.
It may take a couple of weeks of regular cleansing to get your skin on track. But you should notice a positive difference after only one wash with the best face cleansers for acne-prone skin. They will reduce oiliness and inflammation while they clean out pores and get rid of blackheads.
We hoped we helped you find the ideal cleanser to make your face happy. Visit us again soon to see new reviews of the best in skin care and beauty products.