Last Updated on
You don’t need to compromise between looking radiant and avoiding a breakout. The best foundations and concealers for acne-prone skin make your complexion flawless on two levels. Not only do they disguise blemishes, but they also clear up your face.
The issue is that a lot of products on the market just don’t do what they say. Either they don’t clear clogged pores effectively or they don’t hide acne spots very well.
Luckily, we’ve researched and reviewed the top foundations and concealers for acne-prone skin in this article. By the end of this article, you’ll have discovered the right makeup for your needs.
- Best Foundations & Concealers for Acne-Prone Skin (2020 Update)
- 1. Neutrogena Skinclearing Makeup
- 2. Neutrogena Skinclearing Blemish Concealer
- 3. e.l.f. Acne Fighting Foundation
- 4. e.l.f. Maximum Coverage Concealer
- 5. Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation
- 6. Rimmel London Wake Me Up Concealer
- 7. Chanel Perfection Lumière Velvet Smooth-Effect Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF 15
- 8. Chanel Le Correcteur De Chanel Longwear Concealer
- 9. Cover FX Natural Finish Foundation
- 10. Cover FX Cream Concealer
- 11. BOOTS No7 Beautifully Matte Foundation
- 12. Boots Tea Tree & Witch Hazel Concealer Stick
- 13. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Stay Matte but not Flat Liquid Foundation
- 14. NYX Professional Makeup Concealer Wand
- 15. COVERGIRL Clean Sensitive Skin Foundation
- 16. COVERGIRL Clean Matte Liquid Foundation
- 17. COVERGIRL Outlast All-Day Soft Touch Concealer
- 18. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Teint Mattifying Mousse Matte Foundation
- 19. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Teint Color Correcting Concealer Pen
- 20. Dermablend Intense Powder Foundation Makeup for Matte Finish
- 21. Dermablend Quick-Fix Color Corrector Powder
- 22. New Clinique Even Better Makeup SPF 15
- 23. Clinique Even Better Concealer
- 24. Dermablend Blurring Mousse Camo Oil-Free Foundation Makeup with SPF 25
- 25. Almay Clear Complexion Liquid Makeup
- 26. Almay Clear Complexion Oil-Free Concealer
- 27. Tarte Cosmetics Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation
- 28. Tarte Double Duty Beauty Shape Tape Contour Concealer
- 29. Oxygenetix Oxygenating Foundation
- 30. TimeWise Matte-Wear Liquid Foundation from Mary Kay
- 31. Mary Kay Perfecting Concealer
- 32. Mary Kay Undereye Corrector
- 33. Dermacol Make-up Cover – Waterproof Hypoallergenic Foundation
- What to look for in makeup for acne-prone skin
- Related Articles
- Popular Articles
Best Foundations & Concealers for Acne-Prone Skin (2020 Update)
1. Neutrogena Skinclearing Makeup
Neutrogena’s Skinclearing liquid foundation uses Micro-Clear technology that clears clogged pores. As a result, it reduces oiliness and prevents breakouts. It’s so powerful that clinical trials had 100% positive results. But it’s mild enough to use on sensitive skin.
2. Neutrogena Skinclearing Blemish Concealer
In combination with the foundation, use Neutrogena’s blemish concealer. It has salicylic acid as well as the Micro-Clear technology. While you disguise pimples, you’ll also be treating them with anti-acne medication.
3. e.l.f. Acne Fighting Foundation
The e.l.f. foundation uses natural remedies to fight acne. It has salicylic acid to penetrate pores plus anti-bacterial tea tree oil to kill pimple-causing microbes. Plus, witch hazel and aloe calm and moisturize the skin to reduce redness and irritation.
4. e.l.f. Maximum Coverage Concealer
The Maximum Coverage Concealer from e.l.f. doesn’t fight acne as much as it makes it disappear. The intensely-pigmented formula perfectly camouflages blemishes on your face or anywhere on your body. In fact, it can hide tattoos, too.
5. Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation
Rimmel’s Stay Matte Foundation almost feels like you’re not wearing makeup at all. It has a creamy mousse-like texture that absorbs and minimizes oil. It also camouflages pores and discoloration. Plus, it’s available in eight shades.
6. Rimmel London Wake Me Up Concealer
Try the Rimmel Wake Me Up concealer to completely camouflage pimples and dark circles. It’s formulated to instantly brighten your skin.
7. Chanel Perfection Lumière Velvet Smooth-Effect Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF 15
Chanel’s Lumiere foundation provides medium coverage that dries to a satin finish. The satin finish lessens shine in your T-zone but doesn’t crease around your mouth or your eyes. Moreover, the rich pigment blurs fine lines and blemishes.
8. Chanel Le Correcteur De Chanel Longwear Concealer
Chanel’s Longwear concealer goes on like a gel to brighten dark circles and hide imperfections. The buildable coverage reflects light and won’t crease.
9. Cover FX Natural Finish Foundation
Cover FX’s foundation blurs blemishes to a soft focus. Pores look smaller and your skin looks brighter. Additionally, it’s packed with antioxidants to reverse signs of aging.
10. Cover FX Cream Concealer
The cream concealer from Cover FX offers full coverage that sets to a matte finish. It’s useful for covering up scars as well as bags under the eyes. And it’s water-based to avoid clogging pores.
11. BOOTS No7 Beautifully Matte Foundation
The Beautifully Matte Foundation from Boots No7 reduces shine for up to 14 hours. Pores look smaller and discoloration disappears. Plus, the makeup is available in seven shades.
12. Boots Tea Tree & Witch Hazel Concealer Stick
Even if you don’t try the Boots foundation, you might want to buy their Tea Tree and Witch Hazel concealer stick. It has two more benefits than the average concealer. Besides camouflage blemishes, it helps heal them. The tea tree oil kills bacteria while witch hazel calms the skin and shrinks pores.
13. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Stay Matte but not Flat Liquid Foundation
The NYX Stay Matte foundation is buildable to the point that you might not need concealer. It holds up well in high humidity and doesn’t cake.
14. NYX Professional Makeup Concealer Wand
The concealer from NYX Professional is a photogenic makeup formula that sets to a natural finish. It’s available in more than 12 shades. Instead of treating only spots, you can apply it to larger areas to help with hyperpigmentation. Moreover, it moisturizes and soothes the skin while you wear it.
15. COVERGIRL Clean Sensitive Skin Foundation
COVERGIRL’s Clean Sensitive Foundation is better for normal to dry skin. Since it lacks artificial fragrances and oils, it’s less likely to cause a breakout. The lightweight coverage enhances natural beauty rather than disguises your complexion.
16. COVERGIRL Clean Matte Liquid Foundation
COVERGIRL’s Clean Matte Liquid Foundation is an inexpensive choice for all-day wear. The unscented, non-comedogenic formula is available in six colors. Furthermore, it controls shine by absorbing excess oil.
17. COVERGIRL Outlast All-Day Soft Touch Concealer
Use the Covergirl Outlast Concealer when you need to keep a lid on blemishes all day long. You can layer the medium to full coverage and it won’t smudge.
18. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Teint Mattifying Mousse Matte Foundation
The La Roche-Posay Toleriane Teint Mattifying Mousse comes in five shades for light to medium tones. It has an ingredient called Airlicium that absorbs oil. It’s powerful enough to keep your face clean all day. Moreover, the formula is free of artificial fragrances, oils, and parabens.
Besides reducing oil and enhancing your complexion, this foundation also clears up acne. It contains Retinyl Linoleate, which is related to retinol. Be sure to apply sunscreen if you plan to be outdoors while wearing this makeup.
19. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Teint Color Correcting Concealer Pen
The Toleriane concealer pen comes in three shades: dark beige, light beige, and yellow. Each color addresses a different concern. For example, yellow brightens dark circles under the eyes. Then, the beige colors disguise redness and dark spots. Plus, the concealer contains thermal spring water and moisturizing glycerin.
20. Dermablend Intense Powder Foundation Makeup for Matte Finish
Dermablend’s powder foundation is perfect for oily skin. It offers medium to full coverage without looking chalky. Therefore, it evens skin tone and hides pimples and freckles.
21. Dermablend Quick-Fix Color Corrector Powder
The Dermablend corrector powder needs to be applied before the Intense Powder Foundation. It’s available in four shades: red, yellow, orange, and green. Each of these colors tackles a different problem such as pimples or hyperpigmentation. You can also use them as an undereye concealer.
22. New Clinique Even Better Makeup SPF 15
Clinique’s Even Better foundation contains sunscreen and it’s gentle enough for sensitive skin. It contains luminous minerals to brighten dull skin. And it’s best for combination or dry skin.
23. Clinique Even Better Concealer
The Clinique Even Better concealer works hand-in-hand with the foundation to camouflage blemishes. The pigment layers to offer full coverage without caking. Also, the concealer fades dark spots over time with Vitamin C.
24. Dermablend Blurring Mousse Camo Oil-Free Foundation Makeup with SPF 25
The Dermablend Blurring Mousse is close to magical. This foundation is ideal for acne-prone skin because of how it’s made and what it can do. Not only does it create a flawless canvas, but it feels so light like it’s not even there. Plus, the mineral pigments absorb oil for up to 18 hours and protect against the sun with SPF 25.
25. Almay Clear Complexion Liquid Makeup
The Almay Clear Complexion foundation uses salicylic acid to fight acne. This ingredient penetrates into pores to unclog them and it exfoliates dead skin. It also soothes inflammation.
26. Almay Clear Complexion Oil-Free Concealer
Almay’s concealer also has salicylic acid to eliminate pimples. Dab the concealer on spots to disguise them while the acid unclogs the pore and resolves inflammation. The only downside is that it’s not recommended for use near the eyes.
27. Tarte Cosmetics Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation
Tarte’s foundation contains natural ingredients including Amazonian clay to absorb excess oil. There are no artificial fragrances or irritating chemicals. For best results, use primer and set the makeup with powder.
28. Tarte Double Duty Beauty Shape Tape Contour Concealer
The Tarte concealer reduces oiliness and lightens the skin around your eyes. Users recommend setting it with powder.
29. Oxygenetix Oxygenating Foundation
The Oxygenating Foundation from Oxygenetix was developed for burn patients. Instead of water, it’s based on aloe vera juice. Additionally, it has salicylic acid to reduce acne and Vitamin E to heal the skin. Finally, the fragrance-free makeup offers SPF 25 protection for all-day wear.
30. TimeWise Matte-Wear Liquid Foundation from Mary Kay
Mary Kay’s TimeWise Foundation is a good choice if you’ve left your 20s behind and still struggle with acne. It leaves a satiny matte finish on oily skin, plus it won’t transfer or smudge. The formula has peptides and Vitamin E to keep your skin young.
31. Mary Kay Perfecting Concealer
Combine the Mary Kay Perfecting Concealer with the TimeWise foundation to camouflage pimples, age spots, and even fine lines.
32. Mary Kay Undereye Corrector
Finally, use the Mary Kay Undereye Corrector to make dark circles disappear. It conceals shadows and it’s safe for those who wear contact lenses.
33. Dermacol Make-up Cover – Waterproof Hypoallergenic Foundation
If you need to look flawless, try the Dermacol waterproof foundation. It’s highly pigmented for full-coverage camouflage of blemishes and hyperpigmentation. Furthermore, you can use it anywhere on your body.
What to look for in makeup for acne-prone skin
How do you know if your foundation and concealer are safe for acne-prone skin? One clue is to look at the first ingredient at the label. If it’s water, not oil, you’re on the right track. Then if you see zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, and silica, you’ll know that the foundation probably reduces shine. Dimethicone is an oil-absorbing ingredient that lessens redness, too. Finally, salicylic acid (momcurls.com/best-salicylic-acid-face-washes) can be very helpful in getting rid of acne.
We hope our reviews helped you discover your new favorite foundation and concealer today. As you saw, there are many high-quality products designed especially for acne-prone skin. Check back soon to learn about more skincare products that enhance your natural beauty.
Related ArticlesView All Posts
Everyone wants to have brows that are perfect for them. Why wouldn’t they? Eyebrows frame the face and have the ability to dictate your entire look. To some, eyebrows are even meant to make a statement and they use it[...]
It can be very frustrating to have acne breakouts. Not only does it feel horrible, it can leave scars on your face, neck and other parts of your body. Some people find that acne scars are an unwanted reminder of[...]
What’s your main concern when choosing foundations for mature skin? Are you looking for the best anti-aging foundation? What about coverage without creasing? These are both pertinent points. You might also consider your budget. Luckily, there are many options from[...]
Popular ArticlesView All Posts
How do you know which are the best essential oil brands for your money? After all, this is an industry that isn’t regulated by the FDA. Oil quality can vary based on the distillation process of each company. Does the[...]
If you suffer from dark spots on the skin (hyperpigmentation), sometimes it can feel like everyone is looking at them. Luckily they aren’t dangerous, but they can be a bother in public. Especially when they occur on the face and[...]
You’ve enjoyed your dip powder nails for a few weeks now, but the time has come to remove them. Lucky for you, you don’t have to visit a salon to take off your manicure. You can remove SNS nails at[...]
Fine hair refers to the thickness of your individual hair strands. If you have fine hair, I'm sure you go through ups and downs with it. On some days you probably rejoice in the fact that it is easy and[...]
Blackheads. Pesky little black-tipped spots that lurk in the pores of your nose. However rigorous your daily cleansing routine, blackheads can start feeling like that annoying friend that just keeps hanging around. Unfortunately, blackheads are one of the most common[...]
Do you wish you had a magic eraser for your face? Those laugh lines and dark spots are proof that you have a lot of stories to tell. But if you’d rather keep your age a secret, then a foundation[...]
Acne-prone skin deserves tender loving care. It needs to be hydrated just like the rest of your body. While creamy, thick oils are out of the question, there are still plenty of moisture-boosting options. The best night creams for acne-prone[...]
Battling with bad skin and breakouts? Does greasy skin leave you pimple-prone? If so, salicylic acid might just be your new best friend. And your spot's worst enemy. Many people struggle with spots, pocks, and persistent skin trouble. These can[...]
If you get an oily scalp like me, you will probably marvel at those people that can wait five days between hair washes. While, let’s face it, us oily-scalpers are every-other-day-hairwash people at best. And an oily scalp often means[...]