If you were stranded on a deserted island and could only pick one beauty product to take with you, it would have to be BB cream.
The once unknown cream has now become a staple in every woman’s daily routine, and it’s now so popular that even men are using it as well.
What is BB cream and how do you apply it correctly?
BB cream is a multipurpose beauty product that moisturizes, smoothes, and protects the skin, giving you a light amount of coverage for everyday wear.
To apply it, there are a few methods that work, including using your fingers or a makeup pad.
The way you wear your makeup will usually determine which method of applying BB cream is right for you.
However, learning how to do it the right way ensures not only the best results aesthetically, but ensuring that you get all of the other benefits that beauty balm has to offer also.
What is BB Cream?
BB cream refers to beauty balm or blemish balm, and it’s a general term used to describe a skincare and makeup product in one.
The usual benefits of such a product are that it moisturizes, provides protection from the sun and other contaminants, and gives a gentle level of foundation coverage to smooth out your skin’s appearance.
The wonder of BB cream is that it can be used for just about anything, and with thousands of products out there, you can choose one that not only suits your skin type but your lifestyle, too.
It’s the perfect solution for the days when you’d rather not wear a full face of makeup but still want a smooth and flawless complexion that looks natural and chic.
How to Apply BB Cream
Unlike other beauty products, BB cream is incredibly low maintenance in nature, and that includes how you apply it as well.
There are a few methods you can master that make it a breeze to get a smooth and even application, so it’s up to you and what you feel most comfortable with.
The most popular way to apply BB cream is with clean fingers, adding further to its low-maintenance reputation.
- With a clean face, squirt a pea-sized amount of BB cream onto your right index finger.
- Dab small amounts of the BB onto your nose, cheeks, chin, and forehead.
- Use your fingers to rub in circular movements so that it blends into your skin evenly all over, not forgetting your neck.
A reusable or disposable face pad can be used to apply BB cream if you don’t want to get your fingers dirty.
- Squirt a small amount of BB cream into the center of the pad.
- Starting with the nose, add dots to your face and smooth them out towards your cheeks.
- Continue blending and smoothing until your whole face and neck are covered.
If you want to wear more BB cream than usual or want flawless coverage, your standard makeup blender is the tool to use.
- Just as you would with foundation, add small drops of your BB cream to your nose, chin, and cheekbones.
- Blend each section in with your tool, using outward strokes and small, circular motions so that your neck and face are covered.
No matter which method you use, you’ll be able to get good coverage using a good quality BB cream.
When you’re done, add some color to your cheeks with a bronzer or blush, lightly fill in and brush your eyebrows, and put on some lip balm to finish the natural look.
Reactions and Skin Types Suitable for This Product
BB cream is similar to other skincare and beauty products in that you must choose one that corresponds with your skin type.
Although it’s a gentler type of product, it can still cause irritation and unwanted reactions, so you need to consider the following:
- Shop for your skin type. BB cream comes in different formulas suitable for dry, oily, sensitive, combination, and other types of skin.
- Test a small patch first if you’re concerned about a reaction and wait an hour to see the results.
- Look at the specific benefits the cream offers. If you need sun protection, choose a good SPF level, and if you want anti-aging, something with a tightening serum is good.
- Although light, BB cream should still be matched to your skin color. Some have single shades and others are buildable colors that can be brought up to match your face shade.
BB cream has quickly become a staple in most people’s everyday beauty routines, and it’s perfect for so many different situations.
Whether you want a low fuss makeup look or something to wear around the house, your BB cream will be there, and if you want to learn more about its benefits, we’ve answered some commonly asked questions.
Are There Side Effects to BB Cream?
Most beauty balms are made with gentle formulas, however, some contain alcohol which can dry out the skin, especially if used every day.
If you notice an adverse reaction or problem skin after using a new BB cream, discontinue use and then try searching for a new brand or product with different ingredients.
How Long Does BB Cream Last?
A good quality BB cream from a reputable cosmetics brand can last up to eight hours, or more if it’s a long-wearing formula.
As these creams were designed for light coverage, it won’t have the same type of finish as a thicker foundation, but will still deliver moisturization and protection throughout the day.
The Korean face mask has been hailed as one of the biggest beauty breakthroughs in recent years, and with good reason. These famous sheet masks have a range of benefits that other styles just don’t offer, and if you’re looking[...]
Up until a decade ago, not many people knew what a BB cream was. Fast forward to today, and it's a must-have in every girl's makeup routine, and the easiest way to get a smooth and finished complexion without having[...]
Some of us don’t like hair down there, and prefer our pubic area to be smooth. Now I’m not talking just a short back and sides, but full on brazilian-style smooth. If that sounds like you, then you have probably[...]