Can sunscreen replace your moisturizer? In some cases, it can. Check out our reviews of the best sunscreens for dry skin to help you shop today. You’ll see our top picks for sunscreens that nourish your skin while they protect it from sun damage.
Why bother with sunscreen at all? After all, if you don’t spend much time outdoors, is it worth it? Our answer is yes, sunscreen offers vital protection against premature aging. Not only does it avoid sunburn, but it also lowers your risk of skin cancer. Also important, it prevents blotchiness and uneven skin tone.
- Best Sunscreens for Dry Skin
- 1. Paula’s Choice SKIN RECOVERY Daily Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30 Mineral Sunscreen
- 2. Paula’s Choice RESIST Skin Restoring Moisturizer w/SPF 50
- 3. Sun Bum Moisturizing Tanning Oil, SPF 15
- 4. Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch, Lotion Sunscreen Ultra Radiance SPF 30
- 5. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Melt-In Sunscreen Milk SPF 60
- 6. La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX Daily Face Sunscreen Moisturizer with SPF 15 and Mexoryl SX
- 7. Facial Sunscreen SPF 20 – Water-Resistant Mineral Sunblock by Beauty by Earth
- 8. Bain De Soleil Mega Tanning Lotion SPF 4
- 9. Australian Gold SPF 15 Broad Spectrum Moisture Max Sunscreen Lotion with Kona Bronzers
- 10. TotLogic Natural Sunscreen SPF 30
- 11. Alba Botanica Hawaiian, Aloe Vera Sunscreen SPF 30
- 12. Juice Beauty SPF 30 Sport Moisturizer
- 13. CeraVe Sunscreen Face Lotion SPF 30
- 14. EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
- 15. Blue Lizard Face Sunscreen SPF 30+
- 16. Thinksport SPF 50 Plus Sunscreen
- 17. Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Face Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 50
- 18. TIZO Ultra Zinc Body & Face Sunscreen Non-Tinted SPF 40 Broad Spectrum
- 19. Bioré Sarasara UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence Sunscreen SPF50+ PA+++
- Related Articles
Best Sunscreens for Dry Skin
When you use a sunscreen with moisturizing ingredients, it provides a shortcut in your daily routine. So let’s discover the best options for hydrating dry skin.
1. Paula’s Choice SKIN RECOVERY Daily Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30 Mineral Sunscreen
Three decades ago, Paula Begoun was frustrated with her eczema. She struggled to find products that would help her skin heal, not make it worse. Now she has her own skincare line that adheres to three principles. All the products are fragrance-free, non-irritating and were never tested on animals. Moreover, you’ll get an education when you read the ingredients list. Each component is explained on the label.
The Skin Recovery sunscreen may set to a matte finish but it’s very hydrating. It also fights signs of aging. It contains peptides to erase wrinkles, antioxidants to prevent damage, and ceramides to keep your skin strong. While you wear it, the SPF 30 mineral sunscreen blocks UV rays for all-day wear. Feel free to wear this one underneath makeup.
2. Paula’s Choice RESIST Skin Restoring Moisturizer w/SPF 50
What sets the Resist moisturizer apart from the Skin Recovery lotion above? First, this one has stronger protection against the sun. And instead of mineral sunblock, it has a chemical sunscreen formula that includes Avobenzone, Homosalate, Octinoxate, Octisalate, and Oxybenzone. But it does have antioxidants and soothing ingredients like shea butter, ceramides, and licorice root. It also goes well under makeup.
3. Sun Bum Moisturizing Tanning Oil, SPF 15
If you want to tan but still protect yourself against negative consequences, try Sun Bum’s tanning oil. It’s packed full of moisturizing ingredients and emollients like Kukui nut, argan, coconut, avocado, and marula oils. It was tested by dermatologists to ensure that it’s safe. Customers say they love the scent and the fact that it makes their skin velvety soft.
4. Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch, Lotion Sunscreen Ultra Radiance SPF 30
Hawaiian Tropic’s Ultra Radiance sunscreen has a classic fragrance that will remind you of fun in the sun. But this modern product is reef-safe because it lacks octinoxate and oxybenzone that damage corals. It also softens dry skin with mango fruit extract, Vitamin E, and shea butter. Wear it in the water for up to 80 minutes before you need to reapply.
5. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Melt-In Sunscreen Milk SPF 60
The Anthelios products from La Roche-Posay are award-winning sunscreens like this one. They make use of a proprietary Cell-Ox Shield Technology with broad-spectrum protection against UV radiation. This particular melt-in sunscreen has a creamy texture that’s gentle for most skin types. It lasts up to 80 minutes in the water, but it is not reef-safe.
6. La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX Daily Face Sunscreen Moisturizer with SPF 15 and Mexoryl SX
The Anthelios SX Daily Face Sunscreen continues to hydrate your skin for up to a full day after you apply it. It provides light protection for everyday wear. Many users wear it underneath foundation.
7. Facial Sunscreen SPF 20 – Water-Resistant Mineral Sunblock by Beauty by Earth
Vegans will appreciate the Beauty By Earth Facial Sunscreen. It’s made with organic moisturizers like aloe, cucumber extract, and coconut oil. But it’s not greasy and won’t clog your pores. If you choose to wear it while swimming in the ocean, you won’t harm coral reefs, either.
8. Bain De Soleil Mega Tanning Lotion SPF 4
Tanners love Bain de Soleil’s low-SPF lotion. Not only does it add a little color from the moment you put it on, but it also makes your skin feel velvety soft. Aloe, eucalyptus, and cocoa butter protect your skin from drying out in the sun.
9. Australian Gold SPF 15 Broad Spectrum Moisture Max Sunscreen Lotion with Kona Bronzers
Australian Gold offers this moisturizing sunscreen with instant bronzers. If you’re ready to tan after a long winter indoors, it can help. It gives you a little color and smoothes away the dryness. Highlighted ingredients include tea tree oil and Kona coffee extract.
10. TotLogic Natural Sunscreen SPF 30
Yes, this is baby lotion. TotLogic’s natural sunscreen is popular for two vital reasons. First, the Environmental Working Group rates it a 1 for low hazard to health. That’s because it lacks artificial perfumes, dyes, parabens, and so on. The active ingredient is zinc oxide, but it’s not in nanoparticle form.
Second, the vegan formula is both soothing and hydrating to dry skin. It contains hyaluronic acid, aloe, glycerin, jojoba oil, chamomile, and lavender, among other natural extracts. Don’t worry, lots of adults enjoy this sunscreen, too.
11. Alba Botanica Hawaiian, Aloe Vera Sunscreen SPF 30
The Alba Botanica Hawaiian Sunscreen is recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation. It lasts up to 80 minutes in the water. And the natural delicious fragrance comes from pineapple extract.
12. Juice Beauty SPF 30 Sport Moisturizer
The Juice Beauty Sport Moisturizer relies on organic ingredients like aloe, sunflower oil, and grape juice to keep your skin healthy and hydrated. The zinc oxide mineral sunblock resists water up to an hour and 20 minutes.
13. CeraVe Sunscreen Face Lotion SPF 30
CeraVe’s Sunscreen Face Lotion gets both good and not-so-good reviews. On the upside, it appears to provide excellent protection against the sun. On the downside, the texture is difficult to rub into the skin and it may leave a white cast. But it has ceramides that protect your face against losing moisture when you’re outdoors in the sun.
14. EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
EltaMD’s UV Clear sunscreen relieves redness and irritation caused by acne or rosacea. It does this with niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, and lactic acid that moisturize and even out skin tone. After you apply it, it sinks in quickly but continues to protect against moisture loss throughout the day.
15. Blue Lizard Face Sunscreen SPF 30+
Blue Lizard’s Face Sunscreen relies on zinc oxide to naturally block UV rays. It lacks irritants like perfumes, greasy oils, and parabens. But it hydrates your face with Vitamin E and hyaluronic acid. The inclusion of green tea extract protects against aging.
16. Thinksport SPF 50 Plus Sunscreen
If you refuse to coat your skin with lots of chemicals, try this sunscreen from thinksport. It has a 1 rating in the EWG database. The non-nano zinc oxide blocks both UVA and UVB rays for up to 80 minutes in the water. Moreover, it heals dry skin with aloe and natural plant oils without feeling greasy.
17. Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Face Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 50
With the power of colloidal oatmeal, Aveeno’s moisturizing sunscreen will make your skin feels softer and smoother than it has in a while. It stands up to sweat and water for 80 minutes. Plus, the Skin Cancer Foundation recommends it for broad-spectrum protection from the sun.
18. TIZO Ultra Zinc Body & Face Sunscreen Non-Tinted SPF 40 Broad Spectrum
TIZO makes more than one kind of sunscreen, so please consider the other options before you make a purchase. This one is mild enough for your face as well as your body. It depends on zinc oxide plus vitamins C and E to keep your skin young.
19. Bioré Sarasara UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence Sunscreen SPF50+ PA+++
Americans find that Japanese-made Bioré Sarasara sunscreen makes their face feel pampered. Even though it’s very moisturizing and easy to remove, it resists up to 80 minutes of swimming. It won’t leave a chalky residue or feel greasy. Featured ingredients include Royal Jelly extract and hyaluronic acid.
Try one of these top sunscreens for dry skin to streamline your morning routine. They provide moisture as well as UV protection. Or take them on vacation to keep your skin soft at the pool and on the beach. Let us know which one you like the best and why.
Sunscreen is an often-overlooked part of a skincare routine, but it’s also arguably the most important. The sun is responsible for doing all kinds of damage, and over time it can make us age prematurely, cause wrinkles, spots, and even[...]
It’s a beautiful day, the sun’s out. It’s the perfect time to get outside and catch some rays! Well, if you have tattoos, you might have to think twice before heading out the door. Sun exposure can cause your tattoos[...]
Too much sun exposure leads to premature aging of your skin. We’ve all seen people with wrinkles and dark spots caused by photodamage. The UV radiation injures the tissue, breaking down collagen and leaving the skin dehydrated. But it’s easy[...]