Acne sucks, there’s no debating that, and if you break out easily finding good sunscreen is a Catch-22. On one hand, you need protection from UV rays because too much sun can cause new pimples. On the other hand, many sunblock formulas can irritate your skin too. This is why getting a sunscreen made especially for acne-prone skin is essential.
The issue is that a lot of products may claim to be made for oily, acne-prone skin but don’t provide the protection you need. That’s why we tracked down the best sunscreens for acne-prone skin. Use one of these sunscreen lotions to have fun in the sun without suffering the consequences the next day.
- Top Picks Comparison
- Best Face Sunscreens for Acne-Prone Skin
- 1.La Roche-Posay Anthelios Cooling Water Lotion Sunscreen
- 2. Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen, Sensitive SPF 30 Plus
- 3. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Clear Skin Sunscreen SPF 60
- 4. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Water Resistant and Non-Greasy Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 100+
- 5. Paula’s Choice-HYDRALIGHT Shine-Free Mineral Complex SPF 30 Mineral Sunscreen + Antioxidants- Sensitive Skin Facial Sunscreen
- 6. Paula’s Choice Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 50 Water-Resistant Matte Finish for Oily Skin Face & Body
- 7. Sun Bum Original Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion
- 8. Neutrogena Clear Face Liquid Lotion Sunscreen for Acne-Prone Skin, Broad Spectrum SPF 30
- 9. EltaMD UV Clear Facial Sunscreen Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
- 10. Murad Anti-Aging Acne Moisturizer with Broad Spectrum SPF 30 PA+++ for Acne-Prone Skin
- 11. DRMTLGY Daily Anti Aging Face Sunscreen and Facial Moisturizer with Clear Broad Spectrum SPF 45
- 12. The Face Shop Clean Face Oil-Control Sun Cream SPF35 PA++
- 13. Aveeno Natural Protection Oil-Free Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50 Sun Protection for Sensitive Skin
- 14. Vanicream Sunscreen Sport, SPF35
- 15. Replenix Sheer Physical Sunscreen Cream SPF 50+
- 16. Replenix UltiMATTE Perfection SPF 50+
- 17. MDSolarSciences Mineral Crème Broad Spectrum SPF 50 Sunscreen
- 18. MDSolarSciences Mineral Moisture Defense SPF 50 Sunscreen
- 19. MDSolarSciences Mineral Tinted Crème Broad Spectrum SPF 30
- 20. Mineral Fusion Brush-On Sun Defense, SPF 30
- 21. Eau Thermale Avene Mineral Fluid Sunscreen
- Eau Thermale Avène Mineral Light Mattifying SPF 50 Sunscreen
Top Picks Comparison
Best Face Sunscreens for Acne-Prone Skin
1.La Roche-Posay Anthelios Cooling Water Lotion Sunscreen
La Roche-Posay’s Anthelios is an award-winning sunscreen that’s safe for sensitive skin. It contains the proprietary Cell-OX Shield technology with broad-spectrum protection against UV rays plus antioxidants to protect against signs of aging.
There are several benefits to this lotion. First, the SPF 30 rating means you have thirty times the protection that your normal skin tone would give you. Second, the non-comedogenic formula is free of artificial fragrances and parabens, plus it was tested by dermatologists, too. Third, the lightweight liquid sinks in fast and has a pleasant cooling sensation on the skin. Fourth, although you want to apply it 15 minutes before you go out in the sun, it’s water-resistant for up to 80 minutes. And finally, feel free to wear it underneath makeup.
2. Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen, Sensitive SPF 30 Plus
The Blue Lizard sunscreen lacks common irritants like fragrances and parabens. That makes it safe for sensitive skin. In fact, this brand has existed for two decades since it began in Australia.
Part of what makes the Blue Lizard sunblock effective, but not irritating, is the fact that it relies on mineral ingredients like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Those minerals block both UVA and UVB rays. And once you apply it, it’s water-resistant for up to 40 minutes.
3. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Clear Skin Sunscreen SPF 60
If you struggle with oily skin, try the Anthelios Clear Sunscreen. It provides strong protection against the sun but still includes the essential Cell-Ox Shield Technology. That technology not only blocks harmful rays but it also helps undo the damage that the sun can inflict.
The reason why this sunscreen is excellent for oily skin is because it creates a matte, shine-free finish. It contains both perlite and silica that absorbs excess oil. Of course, there are no parabens, oils, or fragrances in the bottle.
Although this is primarily a facial sunscreen, it’s water-resistant for up to 80 minutes. Moreover, it’s a top pick for the beauty experts at Glamour and the Oprah Magazine.
4. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Water Resistant and Non-Greasy Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 100+
Neutrogena’s Ultra Sheer sunscreen has the maximum amount of sun protection you can buy. Furthermore, you can find it in spray or stick form as well as a lotion. For as much as it defends you against ultraviolet radiation, it has a lightweight texture that absorbs quickly to leave a matte finish behind. Like many chemical sunscreen products, this one is water-resistant up to 80 minutes.
5. Paula’s Choice-HYDRALIGHT Shine-Free Mineral Complex SPF 30 Mineral Sunscreen + Antioxidants- Sensitive Skin Facial Sunscreen
Paula’s Choice has become a trusted brand partly because they explain the role of each component in their products. They also leave out unnecessary irritants like fragrances and dyes. Their Hydralight mineral sunscreen is ideal for oily, acne-prone skin. Not only does it reduce shine, but it does so without causing dryness.
Apply this facial sunblock, then apply your makeup on top for everyday wear. Although it dries to a matte finish, it works behind the scenes to soothe and repair your skin. It contains aloe, chamomile, algae, and licorice root to make your face look younger.
6. Paula’s Choice Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 50 Water-Resistant Matte Finish for Oily Skin Face & Body
While the Hydralight sunscreen is designed for your face, the Extra Care sunscreen from Paula’s Choice is for both your face and body. Its silky texture is perfect for oily and combination skin because it dries to a matte finish without making your body look dry. It’s water-resistant and free of dyes and artificial fragrances.
7. Sun Bum Original Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion
Sun Bum’s original sunscreen has been tested and approved by the Skin Cancer Foundation. Also importantly, it’s reef-safe and vegan. Children and adults with sensitive or acne-prone skin should find that it’s a safe and effective formula. It’s water-resistant for up to 80 minutes, and free of parabens, too. Furthermore, it contains Vitamin E to neutralize free radicals that cause the skin to age prematurely.
8. Neutrogena Clear Face Liquid Lotion Sunscreen for Acne-Prone Skin, Broad Spectrum SPF 30
If you struggle with acne on your face, try this liquid sunscreen from Neutrogena. Of course, it’s free of oils and fragrances, and water-resistant for up to 80 minutes as well. But it’s also very lightweight, and it dries to a matte finish, so you’ll hardly know it’s there. In conclusion, it also has natural extracts of cinnamon, Portulaca flower, and cedar that soothe the skin.
9. EltaMD UV Clear Facial Sunscreen Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
One of the top brands of sunscreens that dermatologists recommend in America is EltaMD. Their facial sunscreen not only protects against UV rays but it also moisturizes and minimizes oiliness. There are no fragrances, parabens, or oils. Instead, it has 9% zinc oxide to block the sun naturally.
Meanwhile, lactic acid gently exfoliates to clear pores. Plus, hyaluronic acid adds essential moisture to keep your skin healthy. The lightweight texture sinks in fast and doesn’t leave a residue.
10. Murad Anti-Aging Acne Moisturizer with Broad Spectrum SPF 30 PA+++ for Acne-Prone Skin
Murad’s anti-aging moisturizer is specifically designed to care for acne-prone skin on the face, neck, and chest. It contains a proprietary Oil-Control Complex that prevents breakouts and reduces shine. At the same time, the Kombucha Defense technology shrinks fine lines and wrinkles. As a result, not only will you be protecting your skin against damage from the sun, but you’ll also turn back the hands of time to make your face look younger and healthier.
11. DRMTLGY Daily Anti Aging Face Sunscreen and Facial Moisturizer with Clear Broad Spectrum SPF 45
DRMTLGY may have an unpronounceable brand name, but they have an excellent facial sunscreen. The gentle formula protects against the sun with zinc oxide without leaving white residue on your skin. Moreover, it has hyaluronic acid to plump the skin and niacinamide to lock in moisture and correct uneven skin tone.
Once you try the sunscreen, you’re protected by a 60-day money-back guarantee. You won’t have to worry about parabens or other skin irritants. Alternatively, you should see a reduction in pore size with fewer fine lines and discoloration.
12. The Face Shop Clean Face Oil-Control Sun Cream SPF35 PA++
The Face Shop offers the Clean Face Oil Control Cream as the answer to your breakouts. It soothes irritated skin and fights acne bacteria. It also reduces sebum production. But this mineral sunscreen also moisturizes your face, too.
13. Aveeno Natural Protection Oil-Free Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50 Sun Protection for Sensitive Skin
Aveeno’s mineral sunscreen defends sensitive skin with titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, not chemicals. It’s fragrance-free and lasts for up to 80 minutes in the water. Like other Aveeno products, it has oat extracts that calm irritated skin.
14. Vanicream Sunscreen Sport, SPF35
Vanicream’s sports sunscreen protects you from to 80 minutes in the water. But you shouldn’t have to worry about clogged pores or irritated skin because it lacks fragrances, dyes, parabens, formaldehyde, lanolin, oils, and other preservatives. The lightweight formula absorbs quickly so that you’re ready to get outdoors and have fun.
15. Replenix Sheer Physical Sunscreen Cream SPF 50+
The Replenix sheer sunscreen is mild for both acne-prone and sensitive skin. Not only does it block UV rays, but it also rejuvenates your complexion. It has Vitamin C, coenzyme Q 10, and green tea polyphenols which neutralize free radicals. In addition, it protects against dryness with squalane and Vitamin E.
16. Replenix UltiMATTE Perfection SPF 50+
The ULTIMATTE Perfection sunscreen is tinted to give your face a healthy glow. Moreover, it uses a pigment technology so that one shade matches all skin tones. Since it relies on micronized zinc oxide to protect against UV rays, it’s safe for acne-prone and sensitive skin. You can even use this lotion after dermatological procedures.
While it protects, it also revitalizes your face. The addition of antioxidants, Vitamin C, and caffeine shrink pores and fight wrinkles. Plus, Coenzyme-Q10 and Resveratrol help resurface and tone your skin.
17. MDSolarSciences Mineral Crème Broad Spectrum SPF 50 Sunscreen
The mineral sunscreen from MDSolarSciences is recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation. It contains Eco-Cert zinc oxide, and it’s free of parabens and oils. The creamy texture disguises fine lines and wrinkles but dries to a matte finish. Therefore, you can wear it underneath makeup.
18. MDSolarSciences Mineral Moisture Defense SPF 50 Sunscreen
Even oily skin needs moisture. If your skin is well-hydrated, you may find that shine is less of a problem. Therefore, the Mineral Moisture Defense sunscreen from MDSolarSciences is a healthy choice. It won’t clog pores, but it will fight signs of aging with antioxidants derived from green tea and pomegranate. Also, the humectants draw in water while the ceramides repair the skin’s natural barrier.
19. MDSolarSciences Mineral Tinted Crème Broad Spectrum SPF 30
Our final pick from MDSolarSciences is a tinted mineral sunscreen similar to a BB cream. Feel free to enjoy it by itself or apply it as a primer underneath foundation. It’s water-resistant up to 80 minutes and dries to a matte finish.
20. Mineral Fusion Brush-On Sun Defense, SPF 30
Who says you need to have a liquid sunscreen? The Mineral Fusion Defense is a transparent powder that you brush on with the included tool. While it’s not water-resistant, you’ll never have to wait for it to sink in or dry. Of course, the mineral powder is free of artificial dyes and parabens. There’s no talc, either.
21. Eau Thermale Avene Mineral Fluid Sunscreen
Eau Thermale Avene is a water-resistant sunscreen and contains SPF 50. This sunscreen is specially made for sensitive and intolerant skin. It is chemical-free and contains anti-UVB and anti-UVA ray properties. This is an everyday use and lightweight sunscreen.
Additionally, this sunscreen soaks up rapidly into the skin for a natural and matte finish look. It is suggested to use 15 minutes before your skin gets exposed to the sun. The quantity of the sunscreen is 1.3 fl. oz/40 ml. Spending more time in the sun increases the chance of early skin aging. Hence, to reduce the risk, it is recommended to regularly use this sunscreen since it contains SPF.
Eau Thermale Avène Mineral Light Mattifying SPF 50 Sunscreen
Avène´s mineral sunscreen is specifically made for acne-prone, oily skin. It won’t clog pores or leave a white cast, and it shouldn’t trigger allergic reactions. Users who self-report that they have sensitive skin conditions report success using this product. It’s even safe enough for children over the age of six months.
Not only does it have oil-controlling properties, but it’s also packed with antioxidants. Antioxidants are essential for slowing down the aging process. Additionally, this sunscreen is effective for up to 80 minutes in water.
Never again will you have to face the quandary of whether or not to wear sunscreen. Choose one of the best sunscreens for acne-prone skin; then you can enjoy time in the sun without worrying about breakouts later. We hope you discovered the perfect sunscreen for your needs today.