It’s vital to protect sensitive skin from ultraviolet radiation. But that’s challenging to do when many products have ingredients that cause flare-ups. Fortunately, the best sunscreens for eczema are free of fragrances and other irritants.
Take a look at our reviews below and you’ll see lots of options. We selected a variety of high-quality sunscreens that are safe for sensitive skin. The first section focuses on sunscreens for babies and children. Then the second part covers sunscreens for adults.
- Best Sunscreens for Eczema Prone Skin (2019 Update)
- 1. Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Zinc Oxide Mineral Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin
- 2. Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Mineral Sunscreen Stick with Broad Spectrum SPF 60
- 3. CeraVe Mineral Baby Sunscreen SPF 45
- 4. Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen – Baby Sunscreen SPF 30+
- 5. Waxhead Organic Baby Sunscreen (for kids, too) –EWG Rated 1
- 6. MDSolarSciences Mineral Sunscreen SPF 40 Kid Cream
- 7. Alba Botanica Fragrance-Free Sensitive SPF 30 Sunscreen
- 8. Cerave 100% Mineral Sunscreen with SPF 50
- 9. Anthelios Melt-In Sunscreen SPF 60
- 10. Vichy Laboratories Capital Soleil SPF 60 Soft Sheer Sunscreen Lotion
- 11. EltaMD UV Clear Facial Sunscreen Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
- 12. Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 60+
- 13. CoTZ SPF 40 UVB/UVA Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin
- 14. Sun Bum Original Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion
- 15. Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen – Sensitive Skin Sunscreen SPF 30+
- 16. Waxhead Zinc Oxide Sunscreen Stick – EWG Rated 1
- 17. Supergoop! Skin Soothing Mineral Sunscreen SPF 40
- 18. Beauty by Earth Facial Sunscreen SPF 20
- 19. CeraVe SPF 50 Sunscreen Face & Body Lotion 2-pack Bundle
Best Sunscreens for Eczema Prone Skin (2019 Update)
1. Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Zinc Oxide Mineral Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin
Aveeno’s Baby Continuous Protection Sunscreen has the Seal of Acceptance from the National Eczema Association. That simply means that the majority of people with eczema will find that the product won’t irritate their skin. Plus, the Skin Cancer Foundation also recommends this sunscreen.
First, the formula provides broad-spectrum SPF 50 against ultraviolet rays. The active ingredient is zinc oxide, a mineral that is very effective at blocking the sun. It also has oat extract to soothe both faces and bodies.
Finally, it resists water or sweat for up to 80 minutes. Just be sure to apply it 15 minutes before sun exposure for best results.
2. Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Mineral Sunscreen Stick with Broad Spectrum SPF 60
Neutrogena’s Pure and Free Sunscreen is perfect for protecting little faces from sunburn. The stick format makes it straightforward to apply with no mess.
This is another product with the NEA’s Seal of Acceptance. It relies on a mix of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide to block the sun. Moreover, there are no artificial fragrances or parabens. It continues to work for up to 80 minutes in the water.
3. CeraVe Mineral Baby Sunscreen SPF 45
CeraVe’s Mineral Baby Sunscreen is based on minerals, not chemicals. It contains both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide to reflect harmful UV radiation. It’s also fragrance-free and tested to be hypoallergenic. While your child wears it, it won’t melt and run into her eyes. But it will stay on in the water for up to 80 minutes.
Like other products from the same company, it has three essential ceramides that strengthen the skin’s natural barrier against pollution and moisture loss. Of course, there are no parabens, either.
4. Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen – Baby Sunscreen SPF 30+
Blue Lizard developed this Blue Lizard sunscreen with 10% zinc oxide and 5% titanium dioxide. It lasts up to 40 minutes in the water. It contains no fragrance, parabens, or other irritants.
5. Waxhead Organic Baby Sunscreen (for kids, too) –EWG Rated 1
Waxhead’s Organic Baby Sunscreen has been featured on the Today Show and in magazines like Parents and Good Housekeeping. It provides broad-spectrum protection without harsh chemicals. In fact, the ingredients are so mild that it achieved a 1 for low hazard in the Environmental Working Group’s database.
The concentrated 25% non-nano zinc oxide cream literally blocks the sun. Compare that to chemical sunscreens that absorb the UV radiation after they sink into your skin. It also moisturizes and softens the skin with Vitamin E, organic beeswax, and extra virgin olive oil. Users say the texture is similar to diaper ointment and requires a bit of rubbing before it sinks in.
In addition, the formula is safe for coral reefs (like in Hawaii), won’t cause tears, and it’s approved for pregnant mommies.
6. MDSolarSciences Mineral Sunscreen SPF 40 Kid Cream
MDSolarSciences’ Kid Cream has 17% zinc oxide with 2% titanium dioxide in a non-nano blend. It’s unscented and easy to apply. Parents report that it doesn’t turn the skin white and doesn’t feel tacky.
Now let’s move on to UV protection for adults. That’s not to say that grown-ups can’t use a baby sunscreen. In fact, those with very sensitive skin may find it more comfortable.
7. Alba Botanica Fragrance-Free Sensitive SPF 30 Sunscreen
Alba Botanica’s Sensitive Sunscreen is a vegetarian product based on zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. It’s safe for coral reefs and contains no chemical sunblocks or synthetic fragrances.
While it prevents sunburn, it also prevents signs of aging. It has organic aloe, grape seed oil, and chamomile to nourish your skin.
8. Cerave 100% Mineral Sunscreen with SPF 50
Ceraves skin products are perfect for skin therapy. The mineral sunscreen lotion keeps the skin hydrated. The lotion is 100% mineral and is not oily and greasy. Its main ingredients are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. It forms a shield on the skin and keeps it safe from harmful UV rays.
Ceraves SP50 sunscreen locks in the moisture in the skin and keeps it refreshed. This sunscreen is perfect for all skin types. It is fragrance-free and has no harmful chemical. It has been especially allergy tested and this lotion can be safely used even on sensitive skin and children.
9. Anthelios Melt-In Sunscreen SPF 60
La Roche-Posay’s award-winning Anthelios sunscreen is available in a variety of formats. The melt-in version here is creamy and pleasant to use. The velvet finish lasts in water for up to 80 minutes. Plus, you can wear it under makeup.
Yes, this is a chemical sunscreen composed of avobenzone, Homosalate, octisalate, octocrylene, and oxybenzone. No, it is not reef-safe. But it is free of parabens and artificial fragrances.
10. Vichy Laboratories Capital Soleil SPF 60 Soft Sheer Sunscreen Lotion
Vichy’s Capital Soleil competes with La Roche-Posay’s Anthelios line. It has the same chemical sunscreen ingredients and it’s free of fragrances and other allergens. It should last up to 40 minutes in water. And while you wear it, it battles premature aging with white grape extract and Vitamin E.
11. EltaMD UV Clear Facial Sunscreen Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
The EltaMD UV Clear face sunscreen is perfect for everyday wear under makeup. It’s recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation and tested to benefit sensitive skin. That’s right, it doesn’t just avoid irritating the skin, but it also makes it healthier.
Persons with rosacea, hyperpigmentation, eczema, and acne-prone skin appreciate this product. It’s fragrance-free and packed with rejuvenating ingredients. To illustrate, it has niacinamide to reduce redness and hyaluronic acid to increase hydration. Most importantly, 9% transparent zinc oxide keeps you safe from the sun.
12. Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 60+
Neutrogena’s Sensitive Skin Sunscreen is approved by the NEA. It resists water for up to 80 minutes and it’s free of both oils and perfumes. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide provide protection against the sun.
13. CoTZ SPF 40 UVB/UVA Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin
The CoTZ sunscreen relies on 20% zinc oxide, yet it won’t leave your skin white. You can swim with it for up to 40 minutes before you need to reapply. And the cruelty-free formula does not have oils, fragrances, preservatives, or phthalates.
14. Sun Bum Original Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion
Sun Bum’s moisturizing sunscreen is approved by the Skin Cancer Foundation. Although it has chemical sunblocks, it’s tested to be non-comedogenic and hypoallergenic. It also has Vitamin E to prevent wrinkles and moisturizes skin.
15. Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen – Sensitive Skin Sunscreen SPF 30+
Blue Lizard’s sunscreen for adults is mild enough for children. There are no parabens or fragrances, and it resists sweat and water for up to 40 minutes. The magic ingredients are 10% zinc oxide and 5% titanium dioxide to block the sun.
16. Waxhead Zinc Oxide Sunscreen Stick – EWG Rated 1
Waxhead’s sunscreen stick prevents sunburn and premature aging with 25% non-nano zinc oxide and other moisturizing ingredients. Those other components include certified organic extra virgin coconut oil, beeswax, and vanilla extract. The vanilla is what gives it the tasty aroma. It’s a simple no-mess formula that’s effective, extremely mild for sensitive skin, and approved for snorkeling.
17. Supergoop! Skin Soothing Mineral Sunscreen SPF 40
The Supergoop! mineral sunscreen has olive polyphenols that reduce irritation and redness. It’s also packed with zinc oxide to keep your skin safe from the sun. But it won’t leave a white residue behind once it dries.
18. Beauty by Earth Facial Sunscreen SPF 20
Vegans will appreciate this one as the ingredients are all plant-based and the formula is cruelty-free. Users say it’s convenient for everyday wear under makeup. Just give it a couple of minutes to sink in first. Once it sets, it doesn’t leave a white cast and isn’t greasy.
19. CeraVe SPF 50 Sunscreen Face & Body Lotion 2-pack Bundle
CeraVe includes both face and body lotion in this package. Although some body sunscreens might not cause acne, this facial sunscreen is tested to be non-comedogenic. It also wears well underneath makeup.
Both the body and the face lotion are water-resistant for at least 40 minutes. They dry clear because they contain microfine zinc oxide that’s trademarked as “InVisibleZinc Technology.” Furthermore, both have ceramides to help the skin stay healthy and strong.
We hope you found exactly what you need to protect your skin today. The top sunscreens for eczema block harmful UV radiation without causing irritation. Some rely on natural mineral sunblocks while others use the latest science. In either case, there are plenty of choices that are recommended by the National Eczema Association and dermatologists.