Hyperpigmentation describes the condition where your skin has dark spots or discoloration. The marks and uneven coloring result from sun damage or inflammation from acne. Or, in the case of melasma, it can be related to hormonal changes, too.
Those of us who want to camouflage the problem need the best foundations and concealers for hyperpigmentation. This kind of makeup evens out skin tone and diminishes distractions. Plus, some products contain ingredients that reduce the discoloration.
- Ingredients that reduce hyperpigmentation
- Best Foundations & Concealers for Hyperpigmentation (2022 Update)
- 1. e.l.f. Maximum Coverage Concealer
- 2. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Stay Matte but not Flat Liquid Foundation
- 3. NYX Professional Makeup Concealer Wand
- 4. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Teint Color-Correcting Concealer Pen
- 5. Dermablend Quick-Fix Color Corrector Powder
- 6. Dermablend Intense Powder Foundation Makeup for Matte Finish
- 7. Dermablend Smooth Liquid Foundation Makeup with SPF 25
- 8. Dermacol Make-up Cover – Waterproof Hypoallergenic Foundation
- 9. COVERGIRL Outlast All-Day Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation
- 10. L’Oréal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Foundation Makeup
- 11. L’Oréal Paris Infallible Total Cover Foundation
- 12. Revlon ColorStay Liquid Makeup
- 13. Revlon PhotoReady Airbrush Effect Makeup
- 14. Revlon PhotoReady Insta-Filter Foundation
- 15. Revlon PhotoReady Concealer
- 16. Revlon PhotoReady Color Correcting Pen for Redness
- 17. Vichy Dermafinish Liquid Foundation with SPF 30
- 18. Vichy Dermafinish Corrective Full Coverage Concealer Stick
- 19. Clinique Even Better Makeup Evens & Correct Foundation
- 20. Estee Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup for Face and Body SPF 15
- 21. Shiseido Radiant Lifting Foundation SPF 15
- 22. Shiseido Perfecting Stick Concealer for Women
- 23. Mirabella Skin Tint Crème Full Coverage Liquid Mineral Foundation
- 24. Laura Mercier Silk Creme Oil-Free Photo Edition Foundation
- 25. Laura Mercier High Coverage Concealer for Under Eye
- 26. Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation
- 27. Jolie Creme Foundation Full Coverage Makeup Base
- 28. bareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream SPF 30
- 29. bareMinerals BarePro 16-Hour Full Coverage Concealer
- 30. bareMinerals bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation SPF 20
- 31. Estee Lauder Perfectionist Youth-Infusing Makeup Spf 25
- Related Articles
Ingredients that reduce hyperpigmentation
Obviously, to prevent darkening your skin in unwanted ways, you need to wear sunscreen. But what else can lighten your skin tone?
Chemical peels and laser treatments reduce hyperpigmentation over time. But you can also apply skin brighteners like hydroquinone, Kojic acid, niacinamide, azelaic acid, and Vitamin C.
We researched concealers and foundations with buildable coverage and other benefits. Today we hope our reviews lead you to the right makeup for your needs.
Best Foundations & Concealers for Hyperpigmentation (2022 Update)
1. e.l.f. Maximum Coverage Concealer
The e.l.f. Maximum Coverage Concealer is an inexpensive option that is surprisingly effective. It’s pigmented enough to hide tattoos as well as hyperpigmentation from acne scars. Moreover, the oil-free formula is mild enough for sensitive skin. E.l.f. suggests setting the concealer for extended wear with their own makeup mist.
2. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Stay Matte but not Flat Liquid Foundation
The NYX Stay Matte foundation is available in more than 20 shades. It’s buildable from medium to full coverage. Also important, the makeup resists smudging and transferring and high humidity and doesn’t cake in fine lines. Users appreciate how it sets to a satin finish.
3. NYX Professional Makeup Concealer Wand
The concealer from NYX Professional Makeup comes in 12 shades. Unlike some spot concealers, this one looks natural when spread over a large area. Plus, it moisturizes and softens the skin.
4. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Teint Color-Correcting Concealer Pen
The Toleriane color-correcting concealer is available in three colors. Yellow erases dark circles under the eyes. Then the two shades of beige camouflage melasma, age spots, and redness. While you wear this concealer, glycerin, and thermal spring water hydrate your skin.
5. Dermablend Quick-Fix Color Corrector Powder
The Dermablend corrector powder is a base to apply underneath foundation. It’s sold in four colors that address specific types of discoloration like dark circles, acne, or birthmarks.
6. Dermablend Intense Powder Foundation Makeup for Matte Finish
The powder foundation from Dermablend is also ideal for oily skin. The medium coverage is buildable but won’t look chalky. Instead, it disguises blemishes, freckles, and uneven skin tone. Moreover, it’s free of artificial fragrances to protect sensitive skin.
7. Dermablend Smooth Liquid Foundation Makeup with SPF 25
Dermablend’s liquid foundation is good for dry to normal skin. There are 15 shades available. The thick, creamy buildable coverage lasts up to 16 hours. But it blends and melts into the skin so it doesn’t cake. Users report that it hides scars and age spots well.
8. Dermacol Make-up Cover – Waterproof Hypoallergenic Foundation
Dermacol makes the perfect product if want to wear makeup while you swim or sweat. Their waterproof foundation is intensely pigmented to hide hyperpigmentation, pimples, and even tattoos. Additionally, it’s not just for your face.
9. COVERGIRL Outlast All-Day Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation
COVERGIRL’s Outlast Foundation sets to a matte finish with full coverage. It lasts all day and contains SPF 20 sunscreen. Furthermore, you’ll see over a dozen shades to match most skin colors.
10. L’Oréal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Foundation Makeup
L’Oreal’s True Match foundation comes in an astonishing 45 blendable shades so that everyone can find (or make) the right color for their skin. The selection includes warm, neutral, and cool undertones. While this doesn’t have the heaviest coverage, it’s sure to match your face.
Next, not only does it have SPF 19 sunscreen, but it offers anti-aging benefits. It contains vitamins, wheat germ, and grapefruit extract to fight wrinkles and sun damage.
11. L’Oréal Paris Infallible Total Cover Foundation
L’Oreal’s Infallible Total Cover is long-wearing foundation that lasts for 24 hours. The full coverage camouflages blemishes about as well as Dermablend, but for a lower price. Users say it doesn’t cake or settle into creases.
12. Revlon ColorStay Liquid Makeup
Revlon’s ColorStay Liquid Makeup has a semi-matte finish that also lasts for 24 hours like the Infallible foundation from L’Oreal. The buildable coverage is available in 13 shades and has a sunscreen. Plus, this makeup has salicylic acid to revitalize the skin and reduce pores.
13. Revlon PhotoReady Airbrush Effect Makeup
Revlon’s PhotoReady foundation sets to a finish similar to airbrushed makeup without the need to spray it. The first layer provides medium coverage, but additional layers fully cover discoloration and large pores.
14. Revlon PhotoReady Insta-Filter Foundation
Revlon’s Insta-Filter Foundation ranges from medium to full coverage depending on how you layer it. But not only does it camouflage discoloration, but it also disguises fine lines. Revlon markets it as a natural photo editing solution for your face.
15. Revlon PhotoReady Concealer
Use the Revlon PhotoReady concealer with their Insta-Filter Foundation and watch how blemishes disappear. The concealer also offers buildable coverage.
16. Revlon PhotoReady Color Correcting Pen for Redness
Revlon’s color-correcting pen is a spot treatment to hide pimples, but it also blurs fine lines.
17. Vichy Dermafinish Liquid Foundation with SPF 30
Vichy’s Dermafinish liquid is strongly pigmented so it creates a flawless matte finish that endures for 16 hours. It has a mineral sunscreen with SPF 30 and it’s hypoallergenic.
18. Vichy Dermafinish Corrective Full Coverage Concealer Stick
The Vichy Dermafinish concealer stick pairs with the liquid foundation to cover up dark circles and blemishes for up to 14 hours.
19. Clinique Even Better Makeup Evens & Correct Foundation
Clinique’s Even Better Makeup hides and erases discoloration every time you wear it. The ingredients fade acne scars over time while they protect your skin with sunscreen.
20. Estee Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup for Face and Body SPF 15
Estee Lauder’s Double Wear Makeup is labeled as camouflage for a reason. It covers everything from varicose veins to age spots and acne scars anywhere on your body. Additionally, the foundation lasts up to 12 hours without rubbing off and offers SPF 15 for daytime protection.
21. Shiseido Radiant Lifting Foundation SPF 15
Shiseido’s Radiant Lifting Foundation is ideal for mature skin. It speeds up collagen production to make the face firmer. Meanwhile, the light-diffusing powder and full coverage minimize wrinkles and hide age spots.
22. Shiseido Perfecting Stick Concealer for Women
Shiseido’s Perfecting Concealer melts into the skin without creasing and caking. In fact, it hydrates problem spots like the area beneath the eyes.
23. Mirabella Skin Tint Crème Full Coverage Liquid Mineral Foundation
Mirabella’s Skin Tint Foundation soothes irritated skin to lessen redness. Then, the rich mineral cream controls shine and leaves skin satiny soft. It has full coverage and comes in 14 shades. Also importantly, it lacks parabens, talc, and synthetic dyes and fragrances.
24. Laura Mercier Silk Creme Oil-Free Photo Edition Foundation
Laura Mercier’s Silk Crème Foundation has full coverage that dries to an airbrushed finish. It endures up to 12 hours and contains sunscreen, too.
25. Laura Mercier High Coverage Concealer for Under Eye
You may find that this is one of the best undereye concealers to try. It not only disguises dark circles, but also shrinks puffiness and lightens the color while it hydrates and calms the skin.
26. Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation
Smashbox’s Studio Skin stands up to close inspection for up to 15 hours. The buildable formula contains light-diffusing beads to cloak fine lines and discoloration. It also controls shine and moisturizes.
27. Jolie Creme Foundation Full Coverage Makeup Base
Jolie Crème Foundation comes in stick form to serve as a concealer, too. This waxy substance melts into the skin to hide imperfections. In addition, it supplies SPF8 protection with advanced sunscreens like octisalate and octinoxate.
28. bareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream SPF 30
The bareMinerals tinted cream is lightweight but it endures high humidity and perspiration. You can build the coverage like a foundation. Plus, the gel-like texture rejuvenates dry skin with hyaluronic acid, squalane, and glycerin.
29. bareMinerals BarePro 16-Hour Full Coverage Concealer
The bareMinerals full coverage concealer is a dream solution for blemishes. That’s because it’s waterproof, crease-proof, and smudge-proof but still looks natural. It lasts all day while it moisturizes the skin and protects it from free radicals. Natural extracts like sea lavender and raspberry seed oil erase fine lines over time.
30. bareMinerals bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation SPF 20
The bareMinerals serum foundation feels like it’s barely there. But it disguises and fades hyperpigmentation. The formula contains a mineral sunscreen based on titanium dioxide. Furthermore, clinical trials show that it brightens skin tone, making it similar to one of the best fade creams.
31. Estee Lauder Perfectionist Youth-Infusing Makeup Spf 25
Estee Lauder Foundation is oil-free and contains SPF 25. This foundation is made for oily skin which covers blemishes, acne, and redness throughout the day. This also protects from UV rays and promotes youthful look to the skin. It reduces the look of bumps and enlarged pores.
Estee Lauder Makeup Foundation with SPF 25 is made for a variety of skin tones. This foundation is excellent for combination, oily and acne skin and has a matte finish. It is dermatological, skin, and allergy-tested. This is also oil and fragrance-free. This foundation is available in a variety of shades.
Disguising discoloration isn’t difficult with full coverage makeup. The best foundations and concealers for hyperpigmentation camouflage melasma, acne scars, and age spots. Some formulas fade blemishes, too. We hope you found the exact product that you need. Visit us again soon to learn about top skincare and beauty solutions.
Modern makeup is all about the glow; however, dewy foundations have a drawback, and that is accentuating large pores because they are designed to reflect the light, which ultimately draws attention to your pores. A natural satin finish foundation usually[...]
Nowadays, there are lots of crazy contouring tutorials out there, however, for most women marking up their face like an art project doesn't really appeal to them. If you are one of those women, don't dismay, because you can still[...]
So we've all probably been here before, in a moment of passion, we get carried away with our partners and just wake up with a round purplish or blue bruise better known as a hickey. A hickey is basically a[...]