‘Oh you’re so lucky you have such thick hair!’. If you are someone with thick tresses, you have probably heard this more than once in your life. And of course, yes, having thick hair has its benefits, but it also can be a nightmare to deal with. I’m talking 2-hour haircuts, tangles, frizz, broken hairbrushes, and styling tools that just don’t work.
So before you shell out on a product like a hair straightener or curling iron, you want to make sure that it will actually work for your hair. You want one that will do a good job and leave your hair sleek and smooth, without burning it to a crisp or causing any damage.
However, there are so many choices out there on the market that it can be hard to narrow it down or know what to look for. What shape, heat-up time, or price point should you look at?
Lucky for you, hair straighteners have come a long way in recent years, meaning most hair straighteners should be effective, whatever your hair type. Titanium-plated designs tend to heat up more quickly so can be a good choice for coarser hair. At the same time they can be more damaging than ceramic plates.
To make it as easy as possible for you, we have created a list of 10 of the best flat irons that are great for thick hair. We have even compared all the key features for you (temperatures recorded in degrees Fahrenheit). Take a look below and see which one you will choose.
- Best Flat Irons & Straighteners for Thick Hair in 2021
- KIPOZI Professional Flat Iron, 1.75 Inch Wide
- FURIDEN Hair Straightener and Curler, 2 in 1 Straightener and Curling Iron
- BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium-Plated Ionic Straightening Iron
- NITION Professional Salon Hair Straightener, infused plate design
- xtava Professional Infrared Hair Straightener – 2 Inch Ceramic Flat Iron
- KIPOZI 1 Inch Pro Dual Voltage Flat Iron, Gold
- HSI Professional Digital Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron
- Remington S9520 Pro 2 inch Pearl Ceramic Flat Iron
- Entil Flat Iron with 1 Inch Ionic Upgraded Professional Salon Tool
- BIO IONIC Onepass Straightening Iron, 1 Inch
- What is the best flat iron for thick hair?
- How to straighten hair with flat iron?
- Is titanium-plated or ceramic-plated better for thick hair?
- Related Articles
Best Flat Irons & Straighteners for Thick Hair in 2021
KIPOZI Professional Flat Iron, 1.75 Inch Wide
This Kipozi flat iron has wide 1.75 inch plates that heat up instantly for super-fast and efficient straightening. It is a powerful product and one of the absolute best for thick hair. It heats up from 170F to 450F, with an adjustable temperature setting. This is displayed on an attractive LCD screen. This means you can choose the ideal temperature for your hair, to make sure you get working results while protecting it from overheating and damage. The plates are also especially designed to heat up equally and evenly to give you optimum results and protect your hair.
Another great thing about this product is its versatility. Each plate has had precision melding and is specially designed to allow the hair to pass through easily with no snagging. It is great for both long-lasting straightening as well as styling and volume creating. This product has floating plates, as opposed to fixed ones, which allows the plates a little flexibility to move and get better contact when straightening the hair. This model comes with an 8 foot power cord so it is easy to move around when using it. It is also great for on-the-move as it has universal voltage as well as an automatic shut off feature after 60 minutes of non-use.
- 1.75 inch plated iron
- Adjustable temperature up to 450F
- LCD screen display for temperature
- Instant heating for super-fast results, even on the coarsest hair
- Smooth, no-snag design
- Floating plates for better results
- Some people found that the product slowed down after around a year
- Some people found the straightener caused hair to be static from use
FURIDEN Hair Straightener and Curler, 2 in 1 Straightener and Curling Iron
For a lightweight hair straightener that is easy to handle but still works on thick hair, try the Furiden 2 in 1 iron. This product has a whopping 20 heat settings, reaching maximum temperature in under 15 seconds. The metal design heats up more quickly than ceramic plates, and so is especially well suited to textured, wavy and coarse hair. It has a rotary temperature adjustment feature which is really easy to use, and temperatures are displayed clearly on the LCD screen.
This is a versatile iron, which can be used for curling and styling as well as straightening. The plates are designed to hold the heat evenly for consistent results, and have a floating design for more flexible contact. The model also shouldn’t over-dry or damage your hair long term. I love the look of this flat iron as well, with a modern gold and black aesthetic.
- Narrow plates for straightening and curling
- 20 heat settings
- Heat up time of 15 seconds
- Super fast heat-up time
- Even heat distribution on the plates
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Some people found the rotating temperature control was in an inconvenient place
- Some people thought the heat plates were too small
BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium-Plated Ionic Straightening Iron
Check out this Ionic Straightener with nano-titanium technology from BaBylissPRO. It uses infrared heat to penetrate the hair from within which reduces damage and provides a gentle straightening experience. The plates conduct heat well and keep a stable, even heat. It has various adjustable temperature options, reaching up to 450F which is best for coarse hair. This product is available with 2 plate sizes, either 1 and 1/4 inch or 1 and 3/4 inch. It gives you the option to choose whether you prefer to be able to straighten larger quantities of hair at once, or have more control and detail when styling.
- Nano metal-plated tool and infrared heat
- Adjustable temperature up to 450F
- Plates available in 1 and 1/4 inch or 1 and 3/4 inch
- Instant high heat and recovery
- The ultra-smooth plates don’t pull hairs
- Emits negative ions to neutralise static
- Pricier than many other models
- Some people found the design too bulky
NITION Professional Salon Hair Straightener, infused plate design
If you like the sound of a flat iron best at locking in moisture and reducing frizz, you might want to consider the Nition Professional Straightener. The special thing about this hair tool is that it boasts ‘healthy styling’ as the ceramic 1 inch plates are actually Nano Sliver, Argan oil, Tourmaline and metal-infused. These elements nourish your hair during use and leave it smooth and silky. Tourmaline is a crystal that has been ground down and infused into the plates. It helps to cause less damage to the hair and neutralise positive ions (what cause frizz and static).
The heating plate is 10% longer than a standard one which means straightening is even quicker. There are 6 fixed temperatures to choose from; 265F, 300F, 340F, 375F, 410F and 450F. On thick hair, use up to the highest setting. The temperature settings are controlled by the revolving end of the iron. This product comes with salon extras to aid styling and a carry pouch. This, along with an automatic shut off after 60 minutes, make it one of the best models to take with you travelling. It also has a 9 foot cable so you can move around easily during use.
- Ceramic heating plates
- 10 second heating time
- Comes with clips, carry pouch, heat glove, comb
- Extra-long heating plates mean fast results
- Plates are Nano Sliver, Argan oil, Tourmaline and metal-infused giving extra moisture and less heat damage.
- Minimalist interface means the product is easy to use and has a stylish look
- The revolving temperature changer is quite sensitive and can be knocked by mistake
- Some people still felt they had static hair despite static reduction claims
xtava Professional Infrared Hair Straightener – 2 Inch Ceramic Flat Iron
For the best straightening iron with extra wide plates, check out the xtava infrared straightener. With 2 inch floating ceramic plates, this device can cover more hair at once and handle a bigger volume of hair than many models. It has 10 temperature settings that show on an LCD display. It also has specially designed technology to maintain a consistent and high heat, making it one of the best tools to use on even the coarsest hair.
The unique thing about this model is that it uses infrared heating technology to heat from the inside of the hair out! This draws out the moisture to the surface of the hair, leaving it silkier and smoother and reduces heat damage. It also provides longer-lasting results. The model has an 8 foot, 360 degree swivel cord so you don’t need to be stuck to the wall when styling and won’t trip up. And don’t worry too much if you leave it plugged in by mistake, the product shuts off automatically after 60 minutes of non-use.
- 2 inch, super-wide ceramic plates
- 10 different temperatures up to 445F
- LCD display and 8 foot swivel cord
- Wider plates to handle higher volumes of hair
- Tourmaline plates to reduce static
- Infrared technology to keep hair sleek and moisturised
- Some people find wider panels harder to use
- Some people found this more difficult for styling than some models
KIPOZI 1 Inch Pro Dual Voltage Flat Iron, Gold
This KIPOZI flat iron is a budget-friendly, versatile straightening iron for all hair types. It has ultra smooth plates that release negative ions to reduce static and frizz. The thin, 1 inch plates and rounded shape of the iron mean this tool is best for straightening, curling and styling! The floating plates also mean hair doesn’t snag and makes the straightening process extra smooth.
This tool has an adjustable temperature from 170F to 450F. But it comes with 3, easy-to-use temperature presets aimed at different hair types: 270F for fragile hair, 350F for damaged or coloured hair and 410F for healthy hair. This way you can avoid causing damage to your hair. The heat-up time is also super fast. The design of this one is a unique gold and has an LCD display to show the temperature.
- 1-inch metal-plated flat iron
- Adjustable temperature up to 450F with 3 presets
- Safety lock
- Floating plates means reduced pulling and tugging of hair
- Thin 1 inch plates mean versatile styling, even on bangs
- Affordable price
- Some people found it did still tug at hair a bit
- Some people thought the on/off button was flimsy
HSI Professional Digital Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron
This HSI tool boasts 100% solid ceramic tourmaline plates. The tourmaline ceramic can help protect the hair, giving it extra-shine. It also can emit neutralising ions which can help stop frizz. Advanced infrared heat technology keeps hair sleek and moisturised, and the product even comes with a bonus leave-in Argan oil conditioner treatment which can be used to further replenish hair and stop it drying out.
Temperatures reach 450F meaning this is a powerful hair straightening tool, which is easily controlled with the plus and minus buttons on the side. The temperature is shown on the LCD display in degrees fahrenheit. This tool is also very versatile, the rounded edges allow easy curling and styling as well as just straight hair. This product includes a free heat glove, as well as a heat proof storage pouch.
- Ceramic plates
- Adjustable temperature up to 450F
- 360 degree cord that swivels
- Tourmaline plates create sleek, straight hair with no frizz
- Versatile use for curling and straightening
- Comes with glove and pouch, great for when travelling
- You must press and hold the on/off button for 3 seconds to turn on and heat up the device
- Some people found the temperature would sometimes drop to 395F during use
- Mid price range, more expensive than some models
Remington S9520 Pro 2 inch Pearl Ceramic Flat Iron
The Remington S9520 has floating ceramic plates. 8 times more ceramic than Remington’s usual models. The plates are extra wide at 2 inches, so they can grab as much hair as you need. This makes it a good option for best flat iron for thick hair. The plates heat up to 450F in around 15 seconds, claiming to match the heat of salon-grade products and create similar results at home. There are 9 different settings for the heat so you can adjust as you need.
The wide, pearl infused plates claim to achieve one pass straightening, so even with coarse hair, you don’t need to go over the same piece of hair multiple times. This product has a lower price than many on the market, great if you are looking for good value without compromising on quality.
- Floating 2 inch ceramic plates
- 9 different settings to adjust heat up to 450F
- LCD temperature display
- Wide plates, great if you want to speed up your straightening
- 15-second heat up
- Budget-friendly price
- Wide plates not good for curling or styling
- Some people found it emitted steam in use
Entil Flat Iron with 1 Inch Ionic Upgraded Professional Salon Tool
This flat iron stands out from the crowd with its retro green colour and velvet pouch, in fact the whole product is made in Pantone colour Arcadia, can you get more hipster than that? So although it is on the low end of the budget for flat irons, this straightener is still unique! Does that make it the best hair straightener ever? Let’s see.
It is effective too with a 1 inch plated design that heats up to 450F maximum. The flat iron has 3 different suggested heat ranges for different hair types, 265-320F for thin or delicate hair, 340-395F for normal hair, 410-450F for thick, weave or coarse hair. These are also displayed in a unique way, as well as having an LCD temperature display, the flat iron has a multicoloured strip on the front with red, blue and green, each combination indicating a different heat setting.
The flat iron has floating plates which means they have the freedom to adjust with the hair and sit as close to each other as possible when straightening. This provides better results as well as reducing the risk of hair catching or snagging. The compact size and ability to lock the flat iron together, make it one of the best choices for travelling.
Related: Flat irons for traveling
- 1 inch plates
- Adjustable heat up to 450F
- 8 foot swivelling cord
- LCD display
- Versatile flat iron for various uses
- Can help to reduce frizz
- Attractive unique look – design in Pantone colour Arcadia
- Some people with very thick hair preferred other designs
- Some people said it wasn’t as durable as other designs
BIO IONIC Onepass Straightening Iron, 1 Inch
This flat iron may be on the pricier end of things, but in return it claims to be the fastest straightening iron ever. The plates contain patented silicone speed strips allowing this flat iron to straighten up to twice as fast as other models. It also claims to be a OnePass iron that can help you get the smoothest of hair with just one pass of the hair straighteners.
It has a multi-level heat controller and the flat iron heats up to 400F. The infrared technology penetrates deep into hair, moisturising it and removing frizz and giving you shiny locks! The product has an ergonomically designed handle which makes it easy to grip and can help with styling. It also comes with a 9 foot swivelling cord to give you maximum freedom to move around and tilt the straightener in any direction you need.
- 1 inch plates with silicone speed strips
- Adjustable temperature from 240F to 400F
- 9 foot cord
- Patented technology specially designed to straighten and get rid of frizz
- NanoIonic mineral hydrates dry and damaged hair
- Rounded padded shape to help with curling and styling
- One of the most expensive flat irons on the list
- No automatic shut off
What is the best flat iron for thick hair?
There are various factors to think about when choosing which hair straightener is best for thick hair. You have the option of ceramic or titanium-plated. As well as tools specially designed to reduce frizz, add shine, or style hair. Metal-plated tools heat up faster, and can get more intense heat so they can be better for people with thick hair that is hard to straighten.
Ceramic straighteners, however, can also be very effective and as they heat up evenly. This means you will get very consistent results, and may not have to go over the same areas as many times thus reducing the risk of damage. Check the maximum heat on any straightener, ones with the highest heat may be most effective, but experiment to find the lowest temperature that will work for your hair type. Flat irons with wider plates can also be a good choice for thick hair as they can handle more volume at once and will save you time. Although these can be harder for curling or styling (read about curly hair flat irons).
How to straighten hair with flat iron?
To straighten hair with a flat iron, for best results you will need to section out your hair. For ease, you can clip up your top layers of hair, and work from the lowest layers. Start by making sure your hair is clean and dry. Add heat protector and then start sectioning. Take a small section, comb it out, and then pass the straightener over the hair, following behind the iron with the comb. The higher the heat, the more likely you are to get damaged hair, so try and use the lowest heat possible that will work on your hair.
Is titanium-plated or ceramic-plated better for thick hair?
Many people with thick hair prefer to use the first option as they heat up more quickly, conduct heat better and therefore can be more powerful (read our titanium flat iron reviews here). Ceramic plates, however, retain a more even heat, so produce consistent even results and less likely to cause damage. Some people with thick hair find that their hair is easy to straighten in which case ceramic straighteners should be ok. If your hair is hard to straighten, metal options may be best.
So there you have it. Our top 10 best flat irons for thick hair. Hopefully, you feel more informed about the type of iron you need and have maybe even got your eye on a particular model from the list above. Having thick hair has loads of great benefits, but rather than tying it back you should make the most of it. Soon you will be confident and ready to take on the world with straight, shiny locks!
Have you ever misplaced your trusty diffuser or forgot to pack it for your trip? Well, I have, and on some occasions, I have found myself with a travel hair dryer that doesn't have a diffuser nozzle. Funny enough, some[...]
Throughout history, the redheads have been dealt a mixed hand. They have been either derided or admired for the color of their beautiful hair. And that is because the red hair has been portrayed as brave, wild, beautiful, and hot-tempered.[...]
Purple isn't a natural hair color, but that hasn't stopped folks from dying their hair purple. From deep, dark plums and aubergines, to delicate mauves and lilacs, purple just exudes luxury, power, and royalty that can’t help but make a[...]