Last Updated on
If you have natural African American hair, having the right hairdryer can be important. Natural hair is hair that has not been treated by chemicals or dies. Whatever your type, natural hair can be prone to dryness.
It gets heat damage quite easily and so it needs proper care. This can include keeping it hydrated and washing it less frequently than other hair types, once every 1 or 2 weeks. The right hairdryer can help protect natural black hair from damage.
And a specially designed blow dryer can help tame unruly hair, leaving it smooth and sleek, or adding volume and maximizing curls.
How should you blow-dry natural hair? As black hair can be very coarse and curly, it is best to blow-dry the hair in small sections. It is important to use a good heat protectant to protect the hair from the heat.
Then, how you use the blow dryer or any attachments can determine the style you want. You can use a comb to blow the hair out to be smooth. Some hair dryers also come with pink attachments (wide-toothed comb attachments), that help to create a sleek look.
Or finally, you can preserve your amazing curls and add extra volume using a diffuser head.
So whatever your favorite style, if you are on the market for the best hair dryer for natural hair, you are in the right place. We have found 10 of the top blow dryers that are best for natural hair types. Take a look and see which one will work for you!
- 10 Best Blow Dryers for Natural Hair (2020 Update)
- 1. NITION Negative Ion Ceramic Hair Dryer, 1875w (watts)
- 2. Revlon 1875W Infrared Hair Dryer
- 3. Conair Full Size Pro Hair Dryer with Ion Conditioning, 1875w
- 4. JINRI Professional Salon Grade Hair Dryer by PUNICOK, 1875W
- 5. Gold ‘N Hot Professional Turbo Dryer, 1875w
- 6. Conair 3-in-1 Styling Hair Dryer, 1875 w
- 7. TREZORO Professional Salon Hair Dryer, 2200w
- 8. Andis 82105 Tourmaline Ceramic Styling Hair Dryer, Gold, 1875w
- 9. Revlon Volumizing Hair Dryer, 1875w
- 10. CONFU Professional Salon Infrared Hair Dryer, 1875w
- 11. Revair Reverse Air Dryer
- What is the best hair dryer for African American hair?
- Is it OK to blow dry your natural hair?
- Does it matter what kind of hair dryer you use?
- Popular Articles
10 Best Blow Dryers for Natural Hair (2020 Update)
1. NITION Negative Ion Ceramic Hair Dryer, 1875w (watts)
If you want your hair to look smooth, shiny, and healthy, we recommend the NITION Negative Ions Hair Dryer. The ceramic-coated grill for the air outlet is infused with different elements that benefit the hair as you dry.
It has Argan Oil to hydrate, moisturize and repair. Tourmaline which emits negative ions and keeps frizz and flyaways to a minimum. And Nano Silver is a safe metal that can help repair the hair.
This blow dryer is particularly well-suited to natural, curly hair as it comes with various different attachments to achieve different styling effects. The concentrator nozzle can help achieve a sleek, straighter look as it concentrates the airflow.
The comb attachment also helps achieve a sleek shine, guiding the hair to make the blow drying process easier. Finally,the diffuser head helps to define natural curls and waves, also adding volume and really maximizing your natural look.
The hairdryer has 3 heat settings; low, medium,and high, as well as 2 speed settings; low and high. This gives you variety and flexibility to get the results you want and keep damage to a minimum.
- 1875 w motor
- 3 heat settings and 2 speeds
- Comes with 3 attachments; concentrator nozzle, comb attachment and diffuser head
- Ceramic coated grill is infused with Nano-Silver, Argan Oil and Tourmaline to add shine
- Reduce frizz and damage as well as repair
- Different attachments for flexible styling
- Attractive gold design
- Some people had trouble attaching the different heads
- Some people found the handle would heat up a little during use
2. Revlon 1875W Infrared Hair Dryer
Does your hair tend to be prone to dryness? Check out this Revlon hair dryer that uses Infrared Heat Technology to help retain your hair’s natural moisture. It heats the hair from the inside out, penetrating the hair’s cortex.
This helps lock in moisture and reduce dry and brittle effects. The 3x ceramic coating also reduces the effects of heat damage on the hair with an even heat distribution. Finally, it uses Tourmaline technology with negative ions to leave your hair looking extra conditioned! A definite must for sleek-hair lovers.
If you have large quantities of curly hair, you will probably need to blow dry your hair in sections. That is why it’s great that this Revlon dryer comes with styling clips. This makes styling more manageable and gives you more versatility.
The device comes with a concentrator head as well as a diffuser head, so you can style into big curls or sleek locks as you wish. There are 2 different heat settings and 2-speed settings as well as a cool shot button which helps for more precise styling and closing up the cuticles to add shine and smoothness.
- 1875w motor
- 2-speed options and 2 heat settings
- Concentrator head, diffuser head and 3 salon clips included
- Infrared heat technology helps combat dryness
- Tourmaline Ceramic coating releases negative ions to reduce frizz
- Budget-friendly product
- Some people felt the attachments were low quality
- Some people felt the power button was badly placed as you could accidentally switch off the device
3. Conair Full Size Pro Hair Dryer with Ion Conditioning, 1875w
The stylish, sleek exterior and diamond finish of this hairdryer is far from being its only benefits. In fact, if you are looking for an effective but affordable blow dryer suitable for your hair type, this could be it.
It harnesses the power of negative ion technology to overhaul frizz. Frizz and static are caused by positive ions, so negative ions help to neutralize the hair. They help it lie sleek and smooth while adding shine.
The Tourmaline Ceramic Technology also means the device maintains an even heat, which helps to avoid damaging your locks. There is a hairdryer concentrator nozzle included with this dryer for pinpoint precision and styling.
The blow dryer has 3 heat settings and 2-speed settings. It is suitable for all hair types, so for curly hair, you may need to use hotter and faster options for the best results. There is also a cool shot button for a blast of cold air to lock in your style.
The removable filter makes these blow dryers easy to clean and the 5-foot cord gives you the flexibility to move around as you dry your hair.
- 1875w DC motor
- 3 different temperature settings and 2 speeds, with a cold air button
- Includes a detachable concentrator head
- Ion and Tourmaline Ceramic technology for shine and moisture protection
- Super-affordable choice
- Suitable for all types of hair
- Some people got confused when removing the filter, make sure to twist it off not snap it off
- Some people found the 5-foot cord to be a little short
4. JINRI Professional Salon Grade Hair Dryer by PUNICOK, 1875W
If you are on the search for the best curly blow dryer, check out the JINRI dryer by Punicok. It has a fast, powerful airflow that saves you precious drying time. The even and consistent heat also keeps your hair looking and feeling healthy.
The included diffuser head is specially designed to maximize your beautiful curls. More about that sleek styling? The JINRI has you covered with 2 different precision concentrator nozzles.
This is a top blow dryer for natural hair as it has an inbuilt anion generator. This protects your hair from damage while neutralizing frizz and static in your hair.
The JINRI Professional dryer is easy to use, with simple adjustable controls and a comfortable handle. There are 3 temperatures to choose from; high, medium, and low, as well as 2 different speeds; low and high.
This hairdryer is also low-noise, meaning you don’t have to worry about waking up the neighbors every time you get ready. See our top quiet blow dryers here. Finally, make sure to clean the filter out regularly to maintain top results. Luckily the removable filter makes maintenance easy.
- 1875w DC motor
- 2 adjustable speeds and 3 heats, plus a cool shot button
- 2 concentrator nozzles plus a diffuser head
- Fast drying time
- Versatile styling with attachments for high-volume curls or sleek and straight
- Anion generator to reduce frizz
- The automatic shut off safety feature frustrated some buyers
- Some people felt the product lacked power
5. Gold ‘N Hot Professional Turbo Dryer, 1875w
If you are looking for the best blow dryer for natural hair, look no further than the Gold ‘N Hot Professional dryer. Gold ‘N Hot is the number one selling brand in the ethnic marketplace for beauty and so this dryer is designed especially for the black and Afro American hair type.
It has high power that gets top results on coarse hair. However, it also works to avoid damaging the hair. One of the best features of this dryer is the sturdy and effective pik attachment. It is a wide-toothed comb that helps to control and condition hair as you dry it.
This helps you style more precisely and can create a sleeker, shinier finish than using a standard dryer head. It is recommended to split the hair into smaller sections to get the best results with the pik attachment.
There is also a concentrator head which also helps sleek styling.
The hairdryer is simple to operate with 3 different power settings. The hairdryer is long-lasting and reliable and dries hair, fast. It is comfortable to use and allows you to do quick, flexible styling. The best blow dryer for natural and curly locks.
- 1875w motor
- 3 adjustable settings
- Comes with pik attachment and concentrator
- Super-fast, powerful drying
- Specially designed for black and curly hair
- Great value for money
- Some people found the pik attachment to be smaller than some other models
- Some people found the dryer to be noisy
6. Conair 3-in-1 Styling Hair Dryer, 1875 w
If you are looking for hair dryers that not only dry your hair fast but tame, control and straighten at the same time, check out the Conair 3-in-1 Styling Dryer. You don’t need special skills to use this dryer.
Slightly different to a standard dryer, this dryer type acts more like a brush and allows you to be more precise. It has 3 interchangeable comb heads. One for detangling, one for straight styling, and a thermal bristle head to add volume and maximize your waves.
The hairdryer also uses Ion Technology to stop frizz in its tracks.
Conair’s 3-in-1 dryer has 2 different styling settings that alter the heat and speed. There is also a cool shot button to lock your styles in place. This dryer is up there for the best blow dryer to take traveling.
This is because of its small size, ease of use, along with special adaptable voltage for international usage. Overall, an easy-to-use hair dryer best for precise styling and straightening of curly hair.
- Motor with 1875w power
- 2 adjustable settings and cool air button
- 3 different comb attachments for detangling, straight styling and volume and curls
- Effective straightening for coarse curls
- Easy to operate for precise and flexible styling
- Budget-friendly price
- Some people found the brush attachment could come off during the drying
- Some people felt the motor was very noisy
7. TREZORO Professional Salon Hair Dryer, 2200w
Are you looking for power? The TREZORO Professional dryer has a powerful motor with a whopping wattage of 2200. If you struggle to find blow dryers that are powerful enough for your coarse hair, this model could bring you the salon-style results you are looking for.
This dryer uses ceramic tourmaline technology to make your hair feel soft and smooth. This, combined with Pro Ion technology, that uses negative ion release to remove static and frizz from your hair, creates next-level sleek hair.
Choose one of the 2 concentrator nozzles to be even more precise with your styling. The concentrated airflow allows you more control over styling.
The blow dryer is easy to use, and you can choose to adjust the power between 2 speeds and 3 heat settings. It is comfortable to hold and operate with an easy-grip handle and premium soft-touch body material.
The filter is easy to remove and clean and the attachments are easy to change. Overall a great blow dryer for all hair types for high-power, quick-drying.
- 2200w DC motor
- 3 heats and 2 speeds and cool air button
- 2 different concentrator nozzles
- Frizz-free, smooth styling
- Ultra-fast drying with a werful motor
- Intelligent temperature control protects hair
- Low noise level compared to other dryers
- No pik or diffuser attachments for curls
- Pricier than some other blow dryer models
8. Andis 82105 Tourmaline Ceramic Styling Hair Dryer, Gold, 1875w
This special styling dryer has high-velocity airflow for extra-fast, precision drying, especially for African American curls. With 1875 watts of power, these Andis blow dryers are compact but mighty.
The Ceramic Technology means that the dryer leaves your hair looking healthier than standard blow dryers. This is because they help to regulate the heat, keep it even, prevent heat damage,and preserve natural oils.
Go between the 3 different brush head attachments; the boar bristle brush, the fine toothpick,and the wide toothpick. The boar bristle brush helps to untangle while the toothpick combs smooth and straighten.
The blow dryer has 3 different air and heat settings to tailor the experience to your hair type. There is a turbo boost feature that ramps up the speed and achieves even faster drying and styling.
The cool shot button also means you can finish off and set your style and make it last even longer. The dryer has an attractive gold aesthetic as well as being comfortable to hold.
The special design makes it ideal to be precise with your styling, particularly for smooth, sleek,and straight looks. Definitely a great choice for people looking for dryers for black hair that want to make their hair lighter and more manageable.
- 1875w motor
- 3 different air settings plus turbo booster feature and cool air button
- 3 detachable comb-style dryer heads
- Specially designed blow dryer for black hair
- Different attachments help to detangle and straighten the hair during the drying process
- Ceramic technology locks in moisture to prevent dryness
- Some people found the airflow was less powerful than a standard dryer
- Some people felt it took longer to fully dry hair than some other models
9. Revlon Volumizing Hair Dryer, 1875w
Do you want to maximize your volume? Do you have gorgeous curls and prefer blow dryers for natural volume? Check out the Revlon Volumizing Hair Dryer that has a powerful 1875w motor as well as a turbo airflow button.
This product uses special ion technology to release 30% more frizz-fighting ions to really increase that volume while maintaining shine. The unique thing about this product is that you can turn on the negative ion switch when you are especially after volume.
Use the diffuser to add even more volume while preserving your curls. Genius! If sleek and straight is more your thing, don’t worry. This blow dryer can do both. Flip off the ion technology switch and add the concentrator head for concentrated and precise airflow and styling.
This dryer for natural hair has 2 different heat options as well as 2 speeds. These are simple to use and flip for flexible hair styling control. The design of the dryer gives it a comfortable grip and the hanging ring makes it easy to store.
- 1875w motor
- 2 changeable heat and speed settings, plus a turbo airflow button
- This device comes with a diffuser head and a concentrator nozzle head
- 3 x ceramic coating reduces heat damage to hair
- Ion generator to help achieve maximum volume
- Frizz reduction feature
- Some people reported they didn’t think the product had a long lifespan
- Some people had trouble attaching the attachment heads
10. CONFU Professional Salon Infrared Hair Dryer, 1875w
If you want to find the best blow dryer for natural hair that allows heat and damage control, check out the CONFU Professional. It comes with an LCD screen display that means you can keep an eye on the temperature and avoid damage.
It also uses Infrared Heat Technology to preserve the hair’s natural moisture as it dries. Your hair will dry quickly with this device. The powerful motor works in conjunction with a 7-blade pump for maximum power and drying efficiency.
This is also a great choice for dryers for natural hair as the blow dryer comes with 3 different attachments. A concentrator head for sleek and smooth styling and a diffuser head to dry your locks into stunning and volumized curls.
Finally a comb attachment, that helps to detangle and control the hair and is especially well-suited for natural curls.
The hairdryer has 3 different heat settings as well as 2-speed options. It is simple to use and comfortable to hold and operate. It harnesses negative ion technology to keep frizz at bay and will leave your hair smooth, fast!
- 1875w motor
- 3 heat and 2-speed options
- 3 attachments; diffuser, comb,and concentrator
- Infrared technology dries hair quickly while preserving the hair’s moisture
- LCD screen to see the temperature
- Different attachments to achieve a variety of styles
- Pricier than some models
- Some people found the blow dryer a little bit heavy
11. Revair Reverse Air Dryer
Revair is an up and coming company in the hairdryer space with an innovative reverse air dryer. This product uses patented technology to dry hair in the natural direction of the cuticle to lock out frizz and maintain shine.
RevAir dries, smooths and straightens your hair out in just half the time that a blow dryer and straightener would take. The low heat and gentle suction don’t damage or alter your hair’s natural curl patterns.
According to third party trials, RevAir performed 3.25 times faster than blow-drying and straightening routines which allow people to do their hair in just one third of the time.
- Heat producing wand
- 7ft long hose
- Reverse air base unit
- Faster than regular blow dryers
- 30 day guarantee
- 360 degree coverage
- bit expensive
What is the best hair dryer for African American hair?
African American hair is quite unique in terms of the care it needs. It can be coarser and thicker than other types of hair. This means more powerful hair dryers can often reap better results.
Check out hairdryers with ceramic and negative ion technology which help to reduce frizz and protect hair. This can be the best blow out for African American hair which can be prone to breakage. Infrared hair dryers can also achieve efficient results without over-drying the hair.
Finally, depending on the style you want to achieve, you may want to consider blow dryers that come with different attachments. A concentrator nozzle can help you achieve a smooth, sleek look, and comb/ pik attachments help to detangle and dry the hair smooth.
Diffuser nozzles help to preserve curls and increase volume. Take a look at our list above to see the 10 top hair dryers for African American hair and find the perfect one for you.
Is it OK to blow dry your natural hair?
Yes, you can certainly blow dry your natural hair, but you should not do so too often. You should also always take steps to protect your hair like correct hair care and using the right kind of hairdryer.
This is because heat exposure can cause damage, and a blow-dry done badly can mean hello frizz. Make sure to use a heat protection product before using heat on your hair to stop damage and keep it looking sleek.
Section the hair out before drying it to get the best results. Make sure to use a hairdryer that is suitable for African American hair, check our list for 10 of the best-suited blow dryers that control frizz, don’t over-dry the hair and protect it from damage.
Does it matter what kind of hair dryer you use?
The type of hair dryer you use is more important than you think. You need to make sure you are able to adjust the heat and speed settings to suit your hair so that you don’t cause accidental heat damage.
Some dryers are specially designed to control frizz and retain the hair’s moisture so it is certainly worth finding a dryer that suits your hair. If you have coarser, thicker hair, you may also find that hairdryers designed for lighter hair are not powerful enough.
But it’s all about finding that magic formula for your hair. You can find the 10 best blow dryers for natural hair right here in the above list.
Related: Hair dryers for damaged hair reviews
So now you know which hairdryers are best-suited to natural African American hair, it’s time to choose your favorite. Whether you want to maximize those curls, go for something straight and sleek, or just achieve a natural finish on your already amazing hair, there are perfect hair dryers for you on our list.
Just remember to always protect your hair with a heat protector and look after your locks to the max. Soon you can be enjoying beautiful salon-perfect, blow-dried hair from your home!
Popular ArticlesView All Posts
For lovers of heat hairstyling, the worst thing to realize is that your hair has become damaged. Suddenly using heat on your hair can feel like a catch 22 — you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.[...]
Stressing out about disturbing your roommates with a hairdryer that sounds like a freight train roaring through the night? Hate having to sneak off to the bathroom to dry your hair when your partner is playing sleeping beauty in bed?[...]
Short hair is easy, right? Fewer tangles, quicker to wash, quicker to dry. Well although, short hair can be lower maintenance and easier to care for in many ways, short hair comes with a whole new set of problems. Pixie[...]