Hair removal creams have long since had a bad rap, and if you have sensitive skin, you may be tentative to try them, afraid of irritating your skin or breaking out in a rash. But today’s lineup of products have come along way since the ineffective, sometimes painful and always horribly scented formulas of decades past.
Although it’s essential to do your homework and always perform a patch test to ensure you aren’t allergic, there’s a wide array of great hair removal creams to choose from. Many of today’s creams contain ingredients like cocoa butter, vitamin e, and aloe vera that both soothe and nourish the skin.
Depilatory creams (the more technical word for hair removal creams) are formulated with active ingredients such as calcium thioglycolate, calcium hydroxide, sodium thioglycolate, and sodium hydroxide. These ingredients break down the proteins of the hair (called keratins), weakening and dissolving the hair. The hair is then easily removed and wiped away along with the hair remover. Most hair removal creams work in as little as five to ten minutes. And because they remove hair just above the root, the hair takes longer to regrow, leaving you smoother, longer.
No itching, no bumps, no nicks, no scratches, and when you’re done, no hair! Depilatory creams have been underrated for far too long. They are a cost-effective, easy to use, and safe option for hair removal on sensitive skin. If you haven’t tried them, you really should.
- Best Hair Removal Cream for Sensitive Skin (2021 Updated)
- Nair Shower Power Sensitive Formula Coconut Oil & Vitamin E
- Nad’s Sensitive Hair Removal Cream
- Veet Leg & Body Gel Hair Removal Cream- Sensitive Formula With Aloe Vera & Vitamin E
- Tomiya Premium Women’s Hair Removal Cream
- PMS Premium Hair Removal Cream Painless Flawless Depilatory Cream for Sensitive Skin
- Neomen Hair Removal Cream
- Buying Guide
- How to Remove Hair Using Cream
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Is hair removal cream a good option for beginners?
- Is there any preparation required prior to hair removal?
- How do depilatory creams remove hair?
- Should I expect any pain?
- How long can I expect until I begin to see regrowth?
- How do these creams compare to shaving?
- How do depilatory creams compare to waxing?
- Related Articles
Best Hair Removal Cream for Sensitive Skin (2021 Updated)
Nair Shower Power Sensitive Formula Coconut Oil & Vitamin E
Infused with 100% natural coconut oil and Vitamin E, Nairs Shower Power Formula nourishes and moisturizes while leaving you silky smooth. It’s water-resistant, making it perfect for use in the shower but even comes with a sponge that’s specially designed for easy, effective removal.
Nair has long been an industry leader, known for its effective formulas. Dye-free, paraben-free, and dermatologist tested, it’s safe, gentle, effective, and perfect for sensitive skin. And unlike those old ones we mentioned, this hair removal cream contains odor-neutralizing technology, so no strong odors to deal with.
Safe, practical, easy to use, and leaves your skin smooth for up to six days, and all backed by Nair’s excellent reputation.
Nad’s Sensitive Hair Removal Cream
Nad’s contains natural extracts of melon, honey, avocado oil, and aloe vera that help both soothe and protect sensitive skin. It’s fast working, painlessly removing unwanted hair in as little as 4 minutes and it’s no-drip formula works well in the shower. Nad’s is PETA certified cruelty free and is part of their Beauty Without Bunnies program.
The odor elimination technology makes application a breeze, and their formula is suitable for all skin types and is ideal for removing hair sensitive skin.
Veet Leg & Body Gel Hair Removal Cream- Sensitive Formula With Aloe Vera & Vitamin E
Veet’s sensitive yet fast-acting formula contains aloe vera and Vitamin E that moistures and soothes the skin, removing unwanted hair in as little as five minutes while the vanilla and passion fruit gives a pleasant fragrance. Veet’s makes application and removal easy, coming in a pump bottle and with a spatula and is dermatologist tested.
Tomiya Premium Women’s Hair Removal Cream
Suitable for all skin types, Tomiya’s formula is both gentle and highly effective, working in as little as 5 minutes. This premium formula contains baby oil, hyaluronic acid, Vitamin E and aloe vera, and leaves your skin feeling silky smooth and looking radiant. Tomiya is suggested for use on sensitive skin.
It’s Amazon star rating and raving reviews speak well to just how safe and effective this hair remover is. However, it is always highly suggested you perform a patch test prior to use, especially if you have highly sensitive skin.
Related: The top hair removal creams for legs
PMS Premium Hair Removal Cream Painless Flawless Depilatory Cream for Sensitive Skin
PMS formula is rich in aloe vera, which helps to nourish your skin and lock in moisture while leaving your skin smooth and hair-free. Aloe vera is rich antioxidants and hydrating agents like Vitamins A and E, folic acid. It’s gentle enough for sensitive skin and works in 5- 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of hair.
PMS is effective enough to work on men or women and is ideal for sensitive skin.
Neomen Hair Removal Cream
Neomen’s formula contains skin-friendly ingredients like Vitamin E, baby oil, and aloe vera. It’s one of the more fast-acting formulas removing unwanted hair in under five minutes, depending on the coarseness of the hair. Neomen has been dermatologist tested and comes back with a 30-day no-hassle money-back guarantee, so we suggest you take that time to perform an allergy test before full application.
We love that it comes in a portable size, making it convenient to take along wherever you go. Note that this hair remover is not to be used on inflamed or damaged skin, or to remove facial hair.
Hair remover creams can be harsh on your skin. If you have sensitive skin, it’s essential to choose one that is specially formulated for sensitive skin, as well as for the areas you are looking to remove hair from. If you would like to use the product in the shower, choose one that is water-resistant. If you are bothered by intense odors, look for one that has odor reduction technology, or contains essential oils.
Make sure to perform a patch test prior to full application, keeping an eye out for any skin reactions such as itching, burning, redness, or irritations for up to 24 hours. If the product is intended for the face, do a patch test along your jawline.
How to Remove Hair Using Cream
Here are some critical notes to use as a general guideline for hair removal:
- Always read and follow package directions.
- Clean the area thoroughly, ensuring it is clean and free of oils and lotions.
- Never apply to irritated or broken skin such as wounds or cuts.
- Carefully wash hands before applying the product, or use rubber gloves.
- These creams will damage and discolor fabric, ensure not to allow product to come in contact with clothes or other materials it may harm.
- Very gently dap or spread a thick layer of the product along the area with unwanted hair.
- Never apply internally
- It’s best to use a mirror in order to allow full visibility of the area you are trying to apply the product to and ensure not to apply to unwanted areas.
- Although most creams will work within 5 to 8 minutes, it is imperative to read package directions and not leave the cream on longer than suggested time as it may irritate skin or cause burning or redness.
- If you choose to use a towel, spatula, or sponge for removal, ensure to use an upward motion to remove the product. It’s also important to watch your time and be careful to have all of the cream removed before you reach the time limit.
- Shower removal is the easiest method. In order to avoid skin irritation, it is best to use cool or warm water and not hot water.
- Take extra care to make sure all product is removed.
- After hair removal, avoid direct sun exposure for a minimum of 24 hours.
- If you plan to shave after using a hair removal cream, make sure to wait a minimum of 72 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is hair removal cream a good option for beginners?
Hair removal creams are a good option for beginners, as they are easy to use and much safer than razors. As always, make sure to follow all package directions.
Is there any preparation required prior to hair removal?
To confirm you do not have an allergic reaction, make sure to perform a patch test before use.
How do depilatory creams remove hair?
As the cream moves down into the follicle, the hair proteins are broken down by the alkaline, weakening the structure of the hair until it dissolves and breaks just above the root. The hair is then easily wiped away along with the product, leaving your skin hair-free.
Should I expect any pain?
Hair removal creams are pain-free; however, ensure to perform a patch test to ensure you do not have an allergic reaction and do not exceed the amount of time suggested on product packaging.
How long can I expect until I begin to see regrowth?
As hair is removed just above the root, typically, you should expect regrowth within between five to seven days.
How do these creams compare to shaving?
Shaving has a propensity to cause ingrown hairs and can even cause bumps, nicks, and cuts. Hair is also quick to grow back as it is removed only at the skin’s surface, whereas creams remove hair closer to the root, and because it works by dissolving the hair, it leaves a thinner, tapered end that’s gentler to the touch and grows back thinner.
How do depilatory creams compare to waxing?
Waxing removes hair at the root using a hot or cold wax that adheres itself to the hair and is then removed quickly. The process can be quite painful and is more costly. However, results can last between four to six weeks.
Another benefit of the best hair removal for sensitive skin is that they can be used regardless of the length of the hair, whereas with waxing hair must be a minimum of ¼ inches in length.
Keeping your bikini line smooth can feel like a real chore. Hair always seems to be sprouting up at the wrong moment and it can be an awkward area to reach. If you are in search of the perfect smooth[...]
Long, luscious hair might be great on your head, but when it comes to your face, it can be a different story. Many people can get light, or dark, hairs sprouting up on the upper lip or chin. This can[...]
It’s a sensitive subject about sensitive parts. Using a hair removal cream for private parts may be intimidating to some, but rest assured, it’s a pain-free, easy to use and practical option that leaves all the right places soft and[...]