Smooth skin is for everyone ! And while many people think that epilators are just for girls, epilators are actually great tools for men too. Whether it be for facial hair, chest hair, neck, calves, back or even… butt, epilation can be a very effective, long-lasting hair removal method. It can leave skin smooth for up to 4 weeks. This means it is much lower maintenance than shaving, with which you see regrowth after just one day. Epilation also doesn’t give you a nasty shaving rash or irritate the skin as much. The results are similar to those of waxing but don’t come with the same regular high price and uncomfortable encounter with a stranger. That’s why many people prefer epilating as they can do it from the comfort of their own home.
So how does an epilator work? Well, an epilator is an electronic hand-held device. It has spinning rollers essentially covered with multiple pairs of tweezers that go plucking out hairs as they rotate. This means hairs are pulled out from the root and take several weeks to grow back. This is similar to waxing where sticky strips pull the hairs out from the root. A downside of waxing, however, is that wax strips often pull up skin cells along with the hairs, leaving the skin tender and sore. Epilating, on the other hand, pulls out hairs without irritating or damaging the skin.
So, sounds great. Are there any downsides? Well, the biggest downside is that epilation can be painful. So do be aware you should expect some discomfort. The good news is, you will get used to it with time, and the more you use an epilator the lighter the pain will become and the easier it will be for the hairs to come out.
So let’s get started. We have found 10 of the best epilators out there that are particularly well suited to the guys. We have put them in a list for you below so you can purchase your favourite as easily as possible.
- Best Men’s Epilators (2021 Update)
- Emjoi AP-18 Emagine Dual Opposed 72 Tweezer Head Epilator
- Philips Satinelle Essential, Compact Hair Removal Epilator, HP6401/50
- E-Conoro 2 in 1 Unisex Cordless Epilator with Shaver Head
- Braun Silk-épil 9 9-579 – Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator and 7 extras
- Braun Silk-epil 7 7-880 Wet & Dry, Cordless Epilator and 7 extras
- Panasonic ES-ED90-P Wet/Dry Epilator and Shaver, with Six Attachments including Pedicure Buffer for Foot Care
- Remington Smooth & Silky Deluxe Rechargeable Epilator, Purple, EP7030E
- Philips Satinelle Bre615 Advanced Hair Removal Epilator
- Emjoi AP-18R Emagine Dual Opposed 72 Tweezer Head Epilator, Violet
- Braun Epilator Silk-epil 5 5-280 Hair Removal with 5 extras
- Can epilators be used by men?
- Can a man epilate his face?
- Which is the best epilator to buy?
- Do epilators really work?
- Related Articles
Best Men’s Epilators (2021 Update)
Emjoi AP-18 Emagine Dual Opposed 72 Tweezer Head Epilator
For heavy-duty hair removal for men, you can’t beat the Emjoi AP-18 as the best epilator for men. It has a whopping 72 tweezers in the epilator head which is more than any other model on the market. This means quicker and more thorough epilation for even the stubbornest of hairs. The tiered, opposing epilator heads are designed with exclusive technology to cover a bigger area. This saves you both time and effort compared with other models.
To operate, just hold the epilator at a 90 degree angle over your chosen area. Pull it against the direction of the natural hair growth, and the tweezers will grab and pull out hairs from the root as the head rotates. Results last up to 4 weeks with epilation, making it a super low-maintenance hair removal choice. The epilator can be used wirelessly or plugged in so it works well for travel, but you also don’t need to worry about it running out of battery. It comes with the charger cord and carry bag included.
- Epilator head with 72 tweezers
- Can be used with or without the power cord
- 2 speed settings
- Exclusive technology for faster hair removal, and 72 tweezers in the head, more than any other model
- ‘Lifting fingers’ help prevent ingrown hairs
- Ergonomically engineered handle makes it easy to use
- Removes hair as short as 0.5mm
- Some people found the epilator broke after a year or so
- More expensive than many other models
Philips Satinelle Essential, Compact Hair Removal Epilator, HP6401/50
If you are searching for the best epilator for men, you might consider one of the most popular compact and affordable epilators; the Philips Satinelle HP6401/50. This is a plug-in, corded device which is great if you tend to forget to charge things, although will limit you a little when epilating any hard-to-reach areas. It is a small but effective device, with 21 tweezers that can remove hairs as short as 0.5mm. For optimum results however, this device works best on hair between 3 and 4mm. It is good for sensitive skin as epilation pulls up hairs without agitating the skin underneath.
This epilator should be used on dry skin only and is not waterproof. The head however, is washable and can be washed in water. It is recommended to clean the device regularly to keep it working as effectively as possible. It has 2 speed settings and for both gentle and quick epilating options. The compact size of this epilator is great to fit in your hand and operate. It has an ergonomic handle too, which gives you extra grip and control.
- Compact epilator with 21-tweezer head
- Plug-in device with power cord
- Dry operation only
- Compact design with easy-grip ergonomic handle
- Comes with efficiency cap to reduce discomfort and improve results
- No option to use wirelessly
- Cannot be operated in the bath or shower
E-Conoro 2 in 1 Unisex Cordless Epilator with Shaver Head
For the best 2 in 1 epilator model for men, you might consider the E-Conoro cordless device. It comes with both an epilation head and a shaver head, which you can interchange on the same motor. This is perfect for those that like to switch it up between shaving and epilating, shave and epilate different areas of the body, or even trim hair to the optimum length before epilation.
This device is very budget friendly, coming in at the lowest end of the price spectrum. The device is cordless so you can enjoy the freedom of epilating hard-to-reach places or even epilating on the move. It comes with a smart light so you won’t miss any pesky hairs. It also has a specially designed pivoting head, which means the flexible neck of the device can move to fit the contours of the body and achieve close up hair removal.
- Both wet and dry skin
- 30-tweezer head
- Cordless device
- Removes facial and body hair as short as 0.5mm
- ‘Floating head’ technology means epilator stays at the optimum angle to remove hair
- Good value
- Although ok for use on wet skin, the epilator should be kept dry and not submerged in water
- Long charge time of 8 to 10 hours for a running time of 40 minutes
Braun Silk-épil 9 9-579 – Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator and 7 extras
Braun’s latest design is definitely one of the highest-quality devices and one of the smoothest operators. This means you get a durable product and a more comfortable experience, making this a good choice in terms of best epilator for men. It uses special MicroGrip tweezer technology with long and wider tweezers to remove more hairs in a shorter time. It boasts removing hairs up to 4 times shorter than a wax does! The epilation head is also 40% wider than previous models allowing for faster performance.
One of the great things about this product, is that it comes with 7 different attachments so you get a full 360 degree hair removing experience in 1. It comes with a shaver head, trimmer cap, massage cap, skin contact cap, charging stand and a facial brush. The product is wireless and fully waterproof and can be used in the bath or shower. As possibly one of the most sophisticated devices on the market, it also comes with the highest price tag. But if you want a high quality product that will last, it can be a worthwhile investment.
- Wireless epilation device
- 7 different extra attachments including shaver, trimmer and a variety of epilation caps
- Wet and dry use
- Specialised tweezer technology for more efficient removal of hair
- 40% wider head for faster epilation
- Pivoting head follows your body’s curves
- Smart light to expose any stray or extra fine hairs
- Fast charge time of just 1 hour
- Higher price tag than most other epilators
- You may not need the various extras the product comes with
Braun Silk-epil 7 7-880 Wet & Dry, Cordless Epilator and 7 extras
Another product by Braun boasts another specialised epilation technology to improve your experience. The Braun 7 7-880 uses SensoSmart technology to guide your epilation so if you are a first time user, or have any reservations about trying an epilator, this could be the best choice for you. The smart technology uses an innovative sensor to detect and let you know that you are applying the right amount of pressure as you epilate. You will see a red light if you are pressing too hard, and will be guided to angle the epilator for the best results.
This product is 100% waterproof and can be used in the shower. This is great if you experience pain during epilation, as many people find wet epilation with a shaving cream is a much smoother experience. This epilator is also particularly gentle on sensitive areas making it well designed for men with sensitive skin.
- Wireless rechargeable epilator
- Wet and dry use
- Shaver and trimmer attachment included
- SensoSmart technology to help you get best results
- Extra gentle for sensitive areas
- Smart light built in to the device to allow precise hair removal
- On the expensive side for an epilator
- Can cause redness and bumps after using epilator, but this will reduce as with other models
Panasonic ES-ED90-P Wet/Dry Epilator and Shaver, with Six Attachments including Pedicure Buffer for Foot Care
This multi-functional dual-speed epilator comes with a trimmer, various caps and even a foot buffer that removes dead skin and calluses. The epilator itself has a wide dual-disk head with 48 tweezers. This is on the higher end in terms of tweezer count, so it is great for pulling hairs up from the root quickly and efficiently. The pivoting head can flex an extra 30% back and forth, moving to fit with the contours of the body and providing the smoothest results possible.
This epilator is fully immersible in water which makes it a top choice for best mens epilator to use with a shaving cream in the bath or shower. This should also reduce discomfort. There are caps for gentle and precision removal meaning this is a great product for beginners and those with sensitive skin. The hypoallergenic blades of the shaver also means you are safe from infection.
- Multi-use cordless epilator with 48-tweezer head
- Includes shaver, epilator caps and foot buffer
- In-built Smart light
- Rapid charge time of 1 hour
- Fully waterproof means it can be used for wet and dry use
- Pivoting head best angles to the skin
- Battery life only lasts for 30 minutes run time
- No option for corded use
- On the higher price end
Remington Smooth & Silky Deluxe Rechargeable Epilator, Purple, EP7030E
A simple and affordable epilator with a high 40 tweezers in the head. This epilator is easy to use and can offer great results for removing body hair from all over. It boasts smooth skin for up to 6 weeks, results varying person to person and based on the technique used. The head has been improved from previous models with new comfort barrels added to the head. This helps for a less painful experience during epilation. There are a couple of different caps included with this model which again help to massage and reduce pain, and provide a means for epilating more specific areas of the body. The head is also angled perfectly for optimum results.
This is a wireless and rechargeable device allowing you totally free mobility when removing hair. It is fully waterproof so it is one of the best epilators for wet use on a budget. It also comes with a detail light meaning you can be extra precise.
- Epilator with wide 40-tweezer head
- Massage cap and precision cap included
- Wireless model and rechargeable
- Is fully waterproof and can be submerged in water making it one the best epilators for use in the shower or bath
- Detail light for precision hair removal
- Good value price
- Improved comfort
- Some recent posts say that you need to pull skin taut for best results
- No option to use this device corded
Philips Satinelle Bre615 Advanced Hair Removal Epilator
The slim handle and wide epilator head make this one of the most easy-to-operate epilators for men. The 32 tweezers on the head provide effective results, catching hairs as short as 0.5mm and smooth skin lasting for several weeks. This will save you money in the long run as you won’t need to buy any more razor blades or waxing appointments, and at a mid-range price point, the value of this model isn’t bad.
This is a corded rechargeable device, taking around 1.5 hours to charge for 40 minutes of use. There is a useful indicator light letting you know when it’s fully charged. The epilator has 2 speed settings and comes with precision caps to target smaller, more specific areas.
- Epilator with wide 32-ceramic-tweezer head
- Wireless model
- Wet and dry use
- Removes short hairs from 0.5mm using micro-rigded tweezing technology
- In-built smart light makes it easier to catch all hairs
- Quick charge time compared to many models
- Some people found it less effective than other models
- Doesn’t come with any other shaver attachments
Emjoi AP-18R Emagine Dual Opposed 72 Tweezer Head Epilator, Violet
This product from Emjoi matches the brand’s other AP model with an amazing 72 tweezers on the head for efficient and rapid hair removal. This device is well designed for men, the robust design being great for pulling out thicker and more densely packed hair.
The disc opening is specially designed at 17mm to be the optimal size for removing hair. It uses its own patented glide technology which elevates hairs to pull them out more easily without irritating the skin underneath. With 2 opposing and tiered heads, the skin is pulled taut during epilating, making it more efficient and less painful. This is a cordless, rechargeable device, but has the option to use it corded as well. This means it can be used at home or during travel. It is also easy to manoeuvre with an ergonomically designed handle for solid grip and heightened control.
- Robust epilator design with 72 tweezers on the head
- Cordless, portable design
- Dual speed control
- Lifting fingers lift hairs during epilation which avoids the likelihood of ingrown hairs
- High number of tweezers for rapid hair removal
- Ergonomic handle design for more control
- Higher price than some other models
- Some people complained that the motor ran loudly
Braun Epilator Silk-epil 5 5-280 Hair Removal with 5 extras
Another Braun model here. It maintains the same high quality as the others listed but has a slightly lower price tag, due to being an earlier model. This epilator is corded and so has non-stop power and no charging issues. This does limit its movement and portability, but this is not necessarily a problem if you plan to use this device at home. The Silk-epil 5 5-280 has a short charge time of just 1 hour for 40 minutes use.
The epilator is powerful with 40 tweezers and the device comes with an interchangeable shaver head, trimmer cap and efficiency cap. You also receive a cooling gel glove which can be applied to epilated skin just after use. This calms and cools helping to reduce pain and redness.
- 40-tweezer head epilator
- Corded device
- Comes with interchangeable shaver head and additional epilator caps
- Ergonomic angle for optimum
- Comes with a cooling glove
- Massage rollers in the head for comfort
- Not fully waterproof, only to be used on dry skin
- Mid to high price
Can epilators be used by men?
Yes. Epilators can be used by men. Men tend to have thicker, more wiry hairs, especially in the facial area, meaning that epilating can be a painful business. Epilators are particularly effective for body hair including the chest, neck and crack. They offer a longer-lasting solution to shaving.
Can a man epilate his face?
Although it is possible for a man to epilate his facial area, due to the hairs being so thick and close together, many people find it too uncomfortable. The process also causes redness and bumps which can last for a day or 2 after epilating – not so great in such a visible place. If you want to try it, however, try tweezing a few hairs first to get an idea of the pain. Using hot water to open the pores and lathering up with a thick foam can help reduce the pain. Generally though, it is more highly recommended for men to use an epilator for other body hair.
Which is the best epilator to buy?
Looking for the best epilator for men? Different epilator models have different features so you are able to choose the one most suited to your needs. You can choose between corded and cordless devices, devices with shaver and trimmer heads, devices designed for an extra comfortable experience, and waterproof models that you can use in the bath or shower. There are also epilators at a variety of different price points, so depending on your budget, you can find something that works. Think about the qualities you would like from an epilator, and then browse our list of the top 10 epilators to choose one that fits the bill.
Do epilators really work?
Yes. Epilators do work very effectively to remove hair. Results last up to 4 weeks, similar to waxing. The technique uses many pairs of tweezers to pull your hairs out from the root creating super smooth skin. One drawback is that this is quite painful although the more you epilate the less painful it will become. For the best results, make sure that your hair is the right length before epilating. This should usually be between 3 and 4 mm but check the instructions.
So, if you are a man considering getting an epilator, what are you waiting for? It will save you time and money in the long run and let you forget about pesky body hair that you don’t want. Stay smooth without the stubble and get results that last several weeks not just 2 days. Whatever features you are looking for I hope you found something for you in our list of top epilators for men!
Keeping your bikini line smooth can feel like a real chore. Hair always seems to be sprouting up at the wrong moment and it can be an awkward area to reach. If you are in search of the perfect smooth[...]
Long, luscious hair might be great on your head, but when it comes to your face, it can be a different story. Many people can get light, or dark, hairs sprouting up on the upper lip or chin. This can[...]
It’s a sensitive subject about sensitive parts. Using a hair removal cream for private parts may be intimidating to some, but rest assured, it’s a pain-free, easy to use and practical option that leaves all the right places soft and[...]