What should you put on your skin after tanning? The simple answer is a moisturizer.
But what makes a moisturizer one of the best after tan lotions?
That’s the question will answer with our reviews today. We’ll discuss tan extenders plus the best lotions to use after tanning. [amazon box=”B000FCR7MM, B00DAZH6CW, B00G2CUO6U, B00HFG0FAM, B000OFAASI ” template=”table” numbering=”true”]
- Best After Tanning Lotions to Keep Your Tan
- 1. Australian Gold Moisture Lock Tan Extender Moisturizer Lotion
- 2. Australian Gold Hemp Nation Pomaberry Tan Extender
- 3. Australian Gold Hemp Nation Moisturizing Tan Extender
- 4. Hempz Fresh Coconut & Watermelon Moisturizing Skin Lotion
- 5. Maui Babe After Browning Tanning Lotion
- 6. European Gold Tan Extender Moisturizer
- 7. Ink By Ed Hardy Tattoo & Color Fade Moisturizer Tan Extender
- 8. Devoted Creations So Naughty Nude Tan Extending Moisturizers
- 9. Devoted Creations PLATINUM INDULGENCE Tan Extending Moisturizer
- 10. Golden Star Beauty Tan Extender Daily Moisturizer
- 11. Forever After All Day Moisturizer by Australian Gold
- 12. Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Weightless After Sun Gel Lotion
- 13. Hawaiian Tropic Lime Coolada After Sun Moisturizer
- 14. Hawaiian Tropic After Sun Hydrating Body Butter
- 15. Sun Bum Cool Down Hydrating After Sun Lotion
- 16. Banana Boat Aloe Vera Sun Burn Relief Sun Care After Sun Lotion
- 17. Coola Suncare Environmental Repair Plus Fresh
- 18. Burt’s Bees Aloe and Coconut Oil After Sun Soother
- 19. Ocean Potion After Sun Lotion with Aloe Tan Extender
- 20. Maui Island Secret After Sun Tan Sealer
- 21. Jergens Natural Glow Tan Extender Daily Moisturizer
- 22. Maui Vera Organic Sunburn Relief & After Sun Moisturizer
- Reasons Why You Need a Moisturizer After Tanning
- The Difference Between Regular Moisturizers and after Tan Lotions
- Other Ways to Care for Your Skin after Tanning
- Related Articles
- Popular Articles
Best After Tanning Lotions to Keep Your Tan
Now let’s look at the top after tan lotions so that you can find what you need.
1. Australian Gold Moisture Lock Tan Extender Moisturizer Lotion
Australian Gold makes indoor tanning lotions and tan-extending moisturizers like this one. The first ingredients will help your skin recover moisture. They include water, sunflower seed oil, and glycerin.
There’s also plenty of Vitamin E, panthenol, and aloe. These conditioners prevent premature aging.
Users say the lotion has a mild tropical citrus fragrance.
2. Australian Gold Hemp Nation Pomaberry Tan Extender
This after tan moisturizer contains lots of nourishing ingredients to keep your skin in top condition. For example, there are essential moisturizers like glycerin, jojoba, and shea butter.
Next, goji berry, pomegranate, and açai are rich in the antioxidants you need to guard against signs of aging.
Meanwhile, hemp seed oil provides fatty and amino acids that strengthen the skin and keep it smooth and soft.
3. Australian Gold Hemp Nation Moisturizing Tan Extender
The formula of this moisturizer is similar to the one above. But instead of a fruity fragrance, it smells like pineapple vanilla.
4. Hempz Fresh Coconut & Watermelon Moisturizing Skin Lotion
The Hemp Nation moisturizer has a delicious fragrance. It also makes the skin delightfully smooth and soft. You’ll never look dry and flaky again once you begin using it.
A few of the key components include chamomile, hemp seed, avocado extract, and coconut oil. Moreover, this lotion is free of parabens.
5. Maui Babe After Browning Tanning Lotion
Maui Babe started their business by selling a tanning lotion in Hawaii. They’ve since expanded to include other items like this tan extender.
You don’t have to use their tanning lotion to reap the benefits of this product. It will heal skin that’s been exposed to salt, sun, and wind. Plus, it will keep your tan from peeling.
Two of the main ingredients are aloe and macadamia nut oil.
6. European Gold Tan Extender Moisturizer
European Gold sells a wide range of tanning lotions. Therefore, it’s no surprise they also have after tan lotions, too.
One of the key components is silicone which creates a barrier to seal in moisture. At the same time, argan oil and acai berry extract tighten and firm the skin.
Users say it has a floral fragrance.
7. Ink By Ed Hardy Tattoo & Color Fade Moisturizer Tan Extender
If you have tattoos, keep them bright and clear with this tan extender. The UV radiation from the sun can fade ink. But this lotion has a proprietary Tattoo and Color Fade Protector formula.
The non-greasy texture sinks in fast and perfumes your skin with bourbon and honey. It’s rich in shea butter, lotus extract, and Vitamin C and E. But there are no oils or wheat in it.
8. Devoted Creations So Naughty Nude Tan Extending Moisturizers
Devoted Creations is another well-known manufacturer of quality tanning lotions. But even if you have a spray tan, try this tan extender to keep your skin looking great.
The caramel bronzer and powdered diamond boost color. At the same time, aloe, hemp seed oil, and wheat protein make your skin look and feel supremely touchable.
9. Devoted Creations PLATINUM INDULGENCE Tan Extending Moisturizer
Like many tanning lotions, this moisturizer has silicone. Silicone locks in moisture and makes the skin feel smooth. But you might not get the same amount of hydration as you would from non-silicone formulas.
Users say that the fragrance is similar to Bombshell from Victoria’s Secret.
10. Golden Star Beauty Tan Extender Daily Moisturizer
Users who try this moisturizer sometimes end up addicted to the sweet amber and vanilla fragrance. But there’s more to love besides the scent.
The formula helps your skin recover after tanning with Vitamins B2, B5 and B12 plus organic oils. Avocado oil and aloe vera to restore moisture, too.
11. Forever After All Day Moisturizer by Australian Gold
You’d never know that a vanilla-scented lotion was as powerful. It minimizes the appearance of saggy skin, wrinkles, and cellulite. Also, it firms and moisturizes for twenty-four hours after you apply it.
Some people report that lotions based on hemp seed oil like this one help them recover quickly from sunburn. They say that the redness fades overnight into a golden bronze. That’s no surprise as cannabinoids are known to reduce inflammation.
12. Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Weightless After Sun Gel Lotion
Hawaiian Tropic is a trusted name in tanning lotions and sunscreens. Consequently, their gel lotion is worth experiencing. It delivers twenty-four-hour moisturization but feels very lightweight and non-greasy.
Some of the important components are shea butter, aloe, and papaya extract.
The reef-safe ingredients won’t harm corals or ocean wildlife if you head back to the water when the sun goes down. And the coconut papaya scent will keep you dreaming of the beach long after you’ve gone home.
13. Hawaiian Tropic Lime Coolada After Sun Moisturizer
For a thicker lotion, try the Tropical Lime Coolada. It has aloe, cocoa butter, and vitamins A and E plus exotic botanicals to help you recover from too much fun in the sun.
14. Hawaiian Tropic After Sun Hydrating Body Butter
Then, the richest moisturizer offered by Hawaiian Tropic is their body butter. It makes sure your body stays hydrated for twelve hours.
Potent moisturizers like avocado oil, shea butter, and coconut oil prevent your tan from peeling. And the exotic coconut fragrance will perfume your silky soft skin.
15. Sun Bum Cool Down Hydrating After Sun Lotion
Sun Bum’s after tan lotion is gentle enough for children and powerful enough for adults. The combination of aloe, tea tree oil, cocoa butter, and Vitamin E speed up healing and protect against flaking and peeling.
Moreover, the lightweight formula is gluten-free, vegan, and reef-friendly.
We’ve had a positive experience with Sun Bum’s products. This one’s a good value for the price.
–The Team’s take
16. Banana Boat Aloe Vera Sun Burn Relief Sun Care After Sun Lotion
Banana Boat’s after sun lotion is inexpensive compared to some of the other products we reviewed for this article. On the downside, it has mineral oil, lanolin, an artificial fragrance, dyes, and parabens.
Even though it has Vitamin E, coconut oil, and aloe, you might be better off looking elsewhere if you have sensitive skin.
17. Coola Suncare Environmental Repair Plus Fresh
Coola’s lotion is a better option for allergy-prone skin. It relies on organic agave to activate the skin’s natural defenses against a harsh environment. Agave also promotes collagen formation while it provides relief from sunburn.
Other ingredients include sunflower oil, lavender oil, and rosemary extract. They help soothe and repair, reduce inflammation and moisturize.
If you tend to react badly to skin care products, this moisturizer is one to try. The EWG Skin Deep database gives it a low hazard rating. The natural ingredients are a big attraction.
— The Team’s take
18. Burt’s Bees Aloe and Coconut Oil After Sun Soother
Burt’s Bees is another good choice for tanners with sensitive skin. It sinks in fast and provides deep hydration to reduce redness and irritation.
Also important, it’s free of petrolatum, parabens, and phthalates. Instead, it relies on natural healing ingredients like honey, aloe, chamomile, and coconut oil.
19. Ocean Potion After Sun Lotion with Aloe Tan Extender
Ocean Potion includes tea tree oil and antioxidants in their tan extender. But you aren’t limited to using it after tanning. It’s useful for moisturizing year-round.
The formula keeps dryness away with sunflower seed oil, glycerin, aloe, and cocoa seed butter.
20. Maui Island Secret After Sun Tan Sealer
Keep your vacation tan for as long as possible with the Sun Tan Sealer from Maui Island Secret. It has a light coconut floral fragrance. Additionally, the ingredients make it sound good enough to eat. Maui coffee extract, Hawaiian ginger, and passion flower oil provide nourishment your skin needs to recover from sun, wind, and salty sea air.
21. Jergens Natural Glow Tan Extender Daily Moisturizer
Jergens adds bronzer to their tan extender. In this way it not only moisturizes, but it also maintains your color for up to a week. The secret ingredients include caramel and erythrulose.
Please take note that it has mineral oil and petrolatum thus avoid using it on sunburned skin.
22. Maui Vera Organic Sunburn Relief & After Sun Moisturizer
This after tan lotion soothes sunburn with lavender, peppermint, and aloe. It cools down the skin while it moisturizes with Noni fruit juice. Furthermore, you can apply it up to five times a day to alleviate symptoms.
Reasons Why You Need a Moisturizer After Tanning
The time you spent outdoors in the sun or indoors in a tanning bed has dehydrated your skin. It may not look like it now, but the effects will show up soon enough.
Dehydrated skin leads to two consequences.
- First, dry skin doesn’t keep its bronze color as well or for as long. That’s a shame since you’ve just spent all that time (and maybe money) getting a tan.
- Second, parched skin is prone to lines and wrinkles. It will make you look older than you are.
Now, if those two results aren’t enough to convince you, think about the next two.
- A moisturizer will cool down your skin and lessen the side effects of sunburn.
- Plus, an after tan lotion will make your skin feel smooth comfortable.
If you want to look and feel your best after tanning, it’s definitely worth it to take a minute to apply lotion (1).
Check out tanning salons near you!
The Difference Between Regular Moisturizers and after Tan Lotions
You might be wondering if it matters whether you use your regular lotion or something recommended for after tanning. That’s a valid question because not all moisturizers are created equal.
Ingredients that help your skin recover from tanning include Vitamin C and E, aloe vera, and plant-based moisturizers like shea butter, hemp, and jojoba oil.
Some experts recommend avoiding petrolatum and mineral oil as they may retain heat (2).
Tan extender lotions provide deep hydration and plenty of antioxidants to prevent fine lines and wrinkles from forming.
Other Ways to Care for Your Skin after Tanning
While moisturizers help your skin recover from the outside in, drinking water will improve it from the inside out (3).
Take a bottle of water with you when you go tanning. Then be sure to finish it after your session. Also, stay hydrated at the beach and the pool by taking breaks and sipping.
Give yourself a break from tanning by waiting at least a day before you go back out into the sun. If you’re on vacation and want to make the most of your time, you can still go to the beach while wearing sunscreen.
Slather on the moisturizer because after tan lotions and tan extenders will help you look and feel better. They prevent your skin from peeling, protect your bronze, and defend against wrinkles.
Have you found a lotion that you love to use after tanning? Leave us a comment to tell us about it.
- https://www.livestrong.com/article/176199-how-to-care-for-skin-after-tanning/ by Kay Ireland, accessed 10 May 2019
- https://www.wikihow.com/Take-Care-of-Your-Skin-After-Using-a-Tanning-Bed by Chris M. Matsko, M.D., published 29 March 2019, accessed 10 May 2019
- https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-care-for-skin-after-tanning/ accessed 10 May 2019
Related ArticlesView All Posts
Don’t we all want that all-over golden Kardashian tan? Well, if neither genetics nor climate would cooperate, that color we want can be achievable with a high-quality tanning bed. Since we don’t have the Kardashian fortune either, we should ask[...]
Tanning goggles are must-have equipment when getting into a tanning bed. These tight-fitting glasses are uniquely and innovatively designed to provide superior protection for your eyes against UVB and UVA rays. They ensure that the prolonged exposure to the UV[...]
Tanning has been a famous fashion trend for almost a century now. Tanning was introduced in 1923 by Coco Chanel, who spent too much time sunbathing while yachting between Cannes and Paris. And since then, skin tanning has been a[...]
Popular ArticlesView All Posts
How do you know which are the best essential oil brands for your money? After all, this is an industry that isn’t regulated by the FDA. Oil quality can vary based on the distillation process of each company. Does the[...]
If you suffer from dark spots on the skin (hyperpigmentation), sometimes it can feel like everyone is looking at them. Luckily they aren’t dangerous, but they can be a bother in public. Especially when they occur on the face and[...]
You’ve enjoyed your dip powder nails for a few weeks now, but the time has come to remove them. Lucky for you, you don’t have to visit a salon to take off your manicure. You can remove SNS nails at[...]
Blackheads. Pesky little black-tipped spots that lurk in the pores of your nose. However rigorous your daily cleansing routine, blackheads can start feeling like that annoying friend that just keeps hanging around. Unfortunately, blackheads are one of the most common[...]
Do you wish you had a magic eraser for your face? Those laugh lines and dark spots are proof that you have a lot of stories to tell. But if you’d rather keep your age a secret, then a foundation[...]
Acne-prone skin deserves tender loving care. It needs to be hydrated just like the rest of your body. While creamy, thick oils are out of the question, there are still plenty of moisture-boosting options. The best night creams for acne-prone[...]
Battling with bad skin and breakouts? Does greasy skin leave you pimple-prone? If so, salicylic acid might just be your new best friend. And your spot's worst enemy. Many people struggle with spots, pocks, and persistent skin trouble. These can[...]
If you get an oily scalp like me, you will probably marvel at those people that can wait five days between hair washes. While, let’s face it, us oily-scalpers are every-other-day-hairwash people at best. And an oily scalp often means[...]