Last Updated on
An easy trick for managing shine is to set your makeup with a powder. One of the best setting powders for oily skin will keep your face matte for hours. Your complexion will look fresh and clean throughout the day.
- Top Setting Powders for Oily Skin
- 1. L’Oreal Paris Makeup Infallible Pro-Sweep & Lock Loose Matte Setting Face Powder
- 2. L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte Powder
- 3. NYX Professional Makeup Studio Finishing Powder
- 4. Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte + Poreless Powder
- 5. Maybelline Shine Free Oil-Control Loose Powder
- 6. Maybelline Facestudio Master Fix Setting + Perfecting Loose Powder
- 7. Cover FX Mattifying Prime & Set Kit
- 8. Laura Mercier Translucent Pressed Setting Powder
- 9. ETUDE HOUSE Zero Sebum Drying Powder
- 10. Rimmel Insta Fix & Matte Setting Powder
- 11. Vichy Dermafinish Setting Powder
- 12. Dermablend Loose Setting Powder
- 13. COVERGIRL Professional Loose Finishing Powder
- 14. Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Mineral Correcting Powder
- 15. E.L.F. High Definition Powder
- 16. Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder
- 17. BUTTERCUP LIGHT Camera-Ready, Flash-Friendly Face Powder by Sacha Cosmetics
- 18. N.Y.C. New York Color Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder
- 19. Matte Loose Face Setting Powder by Elizabeth Mott
- 20. Ben Nye Neutral Set Colorless Powder
- 21. Black Radiance True Complexion Loose Setting Powder
- 22. Innisfree No Sebum Mineral Powder
- 23. Schwarzkopf Professional OSiS+ Dust It Mattifying Powder
Top Setting Powders for Oily Skin
Since there are so many brands to choose from, we decided to give you a hand. The reviews below will help you shop for the most-recommended setting powders that reduce shine.
1. L’Oreal Paris Makeup Infallible Pro-Sweep & Lock Loose Matte Setting Face Powder
L’Oreal’s Infallible setting powder has a lot going for it, and it’s one of the most reasonably-priced products we found. First, the micro-fine powder is translucent, so you don’t have to worry about matching your skin tone.
Second, reflective particles blur fine lines and blemishes without caking or looking glittery. And third, the powder not only sets makeup, but it mattifies lip gloss and bakes under eyes.
In case you’re new to the concept of baking, here’s a simple explanation. Paint concealer in a triangle shape (with the wide end up) underneath your eyes. Then use a sponge or brush to pack on the powder. Let it sit for up to 10 minutes before you dust away the excess. The powder “bakes” your makeup so that it conceals better and lasts longer.
In conclusion, we also appreciate the fact that the Infallible Pro-Sweep and Lock Loose Matte Setting Powder contains only five ingredients: silica, talc, isocetyl stearate, tocopheryl acetate, and sodium hyaluronate. There are no parabens which makes us happier about wearing this one all day long.
2. L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte Powder
What’s the difference between this Infallible Pro-Matte powder and the previous one? To begin, the Pro-Matte powder comes in eight shades. Plus, it’s specifically made to absorb excess oil for up to 16 hours.
Thankfully, this is another setting powder without parabens. Two of the main active ingredients are talc and perlite.
3. NYX Professional Makeup Studio Finishing Powder
The NYX Studio Finishing Powder is 100% silica. It has a translucent finish and a silky texture. It also blurs the appearance of imperfections and soaks up extra oil. Shoppers with mature skin love it because it doesn’t settle into lines and can even prevent makeup from creasing.
4. Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte + Poreless Powder
Maybelline’s Fit Me Matte powder uses perlite to reduce shine. This mineral absorbs oil to keep your skin fresh but not flat. The blurring micro-powders ensure that pores are less noticeable. Additionally, the choice of eight shades helps you find the perfect match.
5. Maybelline Shine Free Oil-Control Loose Powder
Users say that Maybelline’s Shine Free Loose Powder lasts them for months. It won’t clog pores or cause acne. Moreover, the lightweight texture makes the skin look satiny fresh. It’s available in two shades.
6. Maybelline Facestudio Master Fix Setting + Perfecting Loose Powder
The Maybelline Master Fix loose powder is translucent with a soft focus effect. It mattifies the complexion and disguises discoloration and uneven texture. Some women wear it over the top of their moisturizer without any makeup at all. This is another powder you can use for the baking technique to set concealer.
7. Cover FX Mattifying Prime & Set Kit
Keep this little kit from Cover FX in your bag and you’ll never have to worry about looking greasy. It includes a matte setting powder, a mattifying primer, and a setting spray. Not only will it keep your complexion looking flawless, but it also contains ingredients to treat acne.
8. Laura Mercier Translucent Pressed Setting Powder
Laura Mercier’s translucent pressed powder comes in a compact with a mirror. That’s convenient as you won’t have to deal with a cloud of dust each time you open it. The French Cashmere talc with light-reflective particles doesn’t cake or crease. Instead, it blurs imperfections while it diminishes shine.
9. ETUDE HOUSE Zero Sebum Drying Powder
Try this K-beauty product and find out why Americans are going crazy for Korean skincare. The Zero Sebum Drying Powder is made of 80% minerals plus gold and botanical extracts. The extracts include fermented soybean, willow tree, cotton, Cassia bark, cypress, oregano, and Portulaca. Together, these components not only control shine, but they also make your skin healthier.
Etude House points out that they do not use any talc, artificial fragrances, mineral oil, artificial pigments, or animal raw material. In fact, this innovative powder can serve as an eye primer and a dry shampoo for your hair.
10. Rimmel Insta Fix & Matte Setting Powder
Rimmel’s Insta Fix powder might be a drugstore product, but it’s translucent, transfer-resistant, and waterproof.
11. Vichy Dermafinish Setting Powder
Vichy makes reasonable claims about their Dermafinish setting powder. To illustrate, they say it makes makeup wear for up to two hours longer than it would without the powder. Next, they also promise that it’s fragrance-free and non-acnegenic, perfect for sensitive skin. For best results, use the included puff to dust the powder on top of foundation or concealer. Let it sit for two minutes, then brush off the extra.
12. Dermablend Loose Setting Powder
Customers who depend on Dermablend’s foundation know that they can trust it to conceal a variety of blemishes. So it’s no surprise that the Loose Setting Powder is the perfect way to keep that makeup in top shape for up to 16 hours. It’s available in various shades including cool beige, warm saffron, and translucent.
13. COVERGIRL Professional Loose Finishing Powder
The secret to Covergirl’s finishing powder is Noxzema. It manages shine to keep your face looking clean and fresh for hours. Some of the ingredients include oat kernel flour, eucalyptus, and clove flower oil. Unfortunately, it also contains parabens.
14. Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Mineral Correcting Powder
The correcting powder from Physicians Formula is free of talc. It brightens your complexion and reduces redness with other solutions like mica, carmine, and ultramarine. It’s easy to apply with a Kabuki brush which is ironic as it’s a Japanese formula. And while it diminishes shine, it won’t settle into fine lines.
15. E.L.F. High Definition Powder
E.L.F. makes their High Definition Powder with shimmery particles to make your complexion fresh and radiant. Wear it without makeup if you like just to enhance your natural appearance. The more you wear of it, the more it absorbs oil. Of course, like all cosmetics from this company, it’s vegan and never tested on animals.
16. Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder
Coty’s Airspun loose powder isn’t just for setting makeup or baking. Apply it to contour your face and create highlights, too. Even by itself without foundation, it disguises fine lines.
17. BUTTERCUP LIGHT Camera-Ready, Flash-Friendly Face Powder by Sacha Cosmetics
Have you ever taken your photo with flash only to discover how shiny or pale white your face looks? This powder from Sacha Cosmetics solves the problem. It’s purposefully designed to keep you looking natural in photos. It avoids chalky and ashy flashback, plus it won’t turn orange, either.
But that’s not the only benefit. The powder resists rubbing off and absorbs oil to mattify your skin for hours. The Buttercup Light version is best for light skin tones while Buttercup regular suits deeper skin tones.
18. N.Y.C. New York Color Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder
Open the N.Y.C. loose powder carefully as it tends to create its own cloud. Its flexible in that you can apply it to different ways. First, dust your face with it before you apply foundation for extra mattification. Second, brush it over the top of your makeup for a flawless finish. Users suggest leaving the plastic cover in place and puncturing it to reduce mess.
19. Matte Loose Face Setting Powder by Elizabeth Mott
Here’s another setting powder that stops flashback, that white cast when you take a photo with flash. It’s also excellent for controlling oil and ideal for baking to build coverage. Unlike many finishing powders, this one contains no talc. The airbrushed finish maintains your complexion so you don’t need to blot in the middle of the day.
20. Ben Nye Neutral Set Colorless Powder
This silky translucent powder resists sweat, high humidity, and rain. It should keep your foundation and concealer in place all day long. The company recommends it for dancers and other high-energy performers.
21. Black Radiance True Complexion Loose Setting Powder
The Black Radiance setting powder comes with a sponge applicator. You can use it to highlight and color correct so that your skin never looks ashy. The light-diffusing particles camouflage imperfections while the powder keeps your skin oil-free.
22. Innisfree No Sebum Mineral Powder
The Innisfree No Sebum Powder is another Korean beauty product pleasing customers around the world. Although piling it on is likely to turn your skin white, a moderate amount keeps you fresh all day. Some users say they never need blotting paper when they wear it.
The loose powder has a light herbal aroma from natural ingredients like mint and tea leaves. Additionally, it’s 6-free, which means it doesn’t contain artificial fragrances or dyes, mineral oil, talc, parabens, and animal-derived ingredients.
23. Schwarzkopf Professional OSiS+ Dust It Mattifying Powder
Although we’ve been discussing setting powders for makeup, if you have oily hair, you’ll appreciate this mattifying powder as well. It provides 24 hours of hold and volume for fine, limp hair.
Enjoy a silky soft shine-free complexion when you use one of the top setting powders for oily skin. The ones we reviewed above do more than reduce oiliness. Most camouflage large pores and blemishes. Some act as a filter for photos. And many can be worn without any makeup at all.