Last Updated on
The best primers for acne-prone skin do more than help your makeup wear longer. They can reduce shine, correct tone, and texture, and even clear up breakouts. Primers are one of the best tools to hide blemishes and prevent them, too.
Look for these ingredients to get the most out of your makeup. First, salicylic acid, sulfur, and resorcinol fight acne. Next, dimethicone mattifies the skin to minimize shine and redness. Along with that, aloe and allantoin calm your complexion while antioxidants prevent premature aging.
We chose the top primers for acne-prone skin and reviewed them below for you. We hope you discover a new product to try today.
- Best Makeup Primers for Acne-Prone Skin (2020 Update)
- 1. COVER FX Mattifying Primer with Anti-Acne Treatment
- 2. Clinique Super Universal Face Primer
- 3. Coola Suncare Mineral Face SPF 30 Sunscreen Matte Finish
- 4. Mineral Fusion Primer, Color-Correcting
- 5. Better’n Ur Skin MINERAL MAKEUP PRIMER
- 6. Tarte Poreless Mattifying Primer
- 7. DHC Velvet Skin Coat
- 8. Stila One Step Correct
- 9. Jane Iredale Smooth Affair Facial Primer and Brightener
- 10. Murad Oil-Control Mattifier with SPF 15 PA++ –
- 11. E.L.F. Studio Mineral Infused Face Primer
- 12. Laura Mercier Foundation Primer
- 13. Dermalogica Skinperfect Primer SPF 30 Broad Spectrum
- 14. Jolie Oil Free Mattifying Primer
- 15. Benefit Cosmetics POREfessional Pro Balm Face Primer Pore Minimizer
- 16. [Touch in Sol] No Pore Blem Primer
- 17. Rimmel Stay Matte Primer
- 18. NYX Shine Killer
- 19. Smashbox NEW Photo Finish Foundation Primer Pore Minimizing
- 20. Maybelline Face Studio Master Prime Primer, Blur + Smooth
- 21. Laura Geller New York Spackle Mattifying Primer
- 22. Elizabeth Mott Thank Me Later Primer
- 23. Revlon PhotoReady Perfecting Primer
- 24. Too Faced Hangover Rx Replenishing Face Primer
- 25. Almay Primer 5-in-1
- 26. Tarte Cosmetics Clean Slate Flawless 12-Hr Brightening Primer
- 27. L.A. Girl PRO Prep HD High Definition Smoothing Face Primer
- 28. Hourglass Cosmetics Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15
- 29. Pores No More Refiner Primer
- 30. Dr. Brandt Skincare Pores No More Pore Refiner Primer
Best Makeup Primers for Acne-Prone Skin (2020 Update)
1. COVER FX Mattifying Primer with Anti-Acne Treatment
Cover FX checks all the boxes with their Mattifying Primer. To begin, it has salicylic acid from willow bark to heal acne and clarify your skin. Second, it calms inflammation and fades redness. And finally, antioxidants keep your skin healthy and young. While wearing this primer, you’ll find that your foundation won’t slide off or melt away by noon.
2. Clinique Super Universal Face Primer
Clinique’s Super Universal Face Primer comes in two versions: color-correcting and translucent. The color-correcting formula camouflages pores, pimples, and dark circles. At the same time, it conditions your skin with algae and green tea. Hyaluronic acid adds moisture without clogging your pores. Additionally, there are no parabens, oils, or artificial fragrances.
3. Coola Suncare Mineral Face SPF 30 Sunscreen Matte Finish
Coola’s primer has a mineral-based sunscreen that keeps your face matte, but not flat. Users say it feels very lightweight and makes their skin feel silky soft. It also has antioxidants derived from botanical ingredients like lily and honeysuckle.
4. Mineral Fusion Primer, Color-Correcting
The Mineral Fusion Primer is a top choice for customers with hyperpigmentation. It hides everything from acne scars to rosacea to bags under your eyes. Then, it revives dull skin with peptides, chamomile, and aloe. It has no parabens or phthalates.
5. Better’n Ur Skin MINERAL MAKEUP PRIMER
This Better’n Ur Skin is handy for people with combination skin because it takes care of both your T-zone and your cheeks. It mattifies the oily spots and hydrates the dry ones. But that’s not all – it corrects the pH balance and diminishes fine lines, too. The company offers a full refund if you’re not satisfied. And they manufacture it with primarily certified organic ingredients like aloe, jojoba oil, and green tea.
6. Tarte Poreless Mattifying Primer
The Tarte Poreless Primer is a silky gel that optically blurs pores and pimples. When you wear it, you can expect up to 12 hours of shine-free finish. During all that time, botanical extracts like echinacea, rosemary, and hibiscus protect your skin from signs of aging. Finally, avocado and other fruit extracts replenish moisture and essential vitamins.
7. DHC Velvet Skin Coat
DHC’s Velvet Skin Coat is the industry-standard for makeup artists. The silica in it absorbs excess oil to stop shine. The primer looks like a powdery gel. When it sets, it turns your face into a velvety soft canvas that’s perfectly ready for makeup.
8. Stila One Step Correct
The stila primer provides all the color correction you could ever need in one package. The blend of lavender, green, and peach pigments vanish blemishes and age spots alike. Your skin will look instantly fresher. At the same time, the multivitamin complex neutralizes free radicals that age the skin.
9. Jane Iredale Smooth Affair Facial Primer and Brightener
Jane Iredale’s Smooth Affair was formulated with oily skin in mind. But don’t worry, it won’t create dry patches as some oil-control primers do. It makes your complexion radiant enough that you may decide to skip your makeup after all.
10. Murad Oil-Control Mattifier with SPF 15 PA++ –
The Murad Mattifier proved in clinical trials that it can reduce oiliness for up to eight hours. At the same time, willow bark extract clears up acne and gently exfoliates dead cells. Then, argan extract conditions the skin to keep it soft and smooth.
11. E.L.F. Studio Mineral Infused Face Primer
Vegan customers appreciate that e.l.f.Studio products are certified by PETA to be cruelty-free. There also free of phthalates and parabens.
The Tone-Adjusting Green Primer is just what you need to counteract redness from pimples and rosacea. It controls shine so that your foundation and eyeshadow look their best all day long.
12. Laura Mercier Foundation Primer
Do you wish you could skip a step in your morning routine? The Laura Mercier primer doubles as a foundation for acne-prone, sensitive skin. Users with oily skin are delighted how it keeps their complexion clean and fresh throughout the day. The manufacturer recommends putting the primer in the refrigerator so that it’s extra soothing to irritated skin and undereye bags.
13. Dermalogica Skinperfect Primer SPF 30 Broad Spectrum
Dermalogica’s Skinperfect primer has a translucent tint that will make your face luminous. The ingredients create a soft focus filter. After you apply it, your foundation has an easy time concealing blemishes. In addition, the formula increases collagen production to firm up your skin.
14. Jolie Oil Free Mattifying Primer
Jolie’s Mattifying Primer is free of parabens and artificial fragrances. It avoids triggering breakouts while it masks acne and fine lines. Repeat customers comment that it makes their face satiny smooth all day long.
15. Benefit Cosmetics POREfessional Pro Balm Face Primer Pore Minimizer
The POREfessional Pro Balm tames oily skin and large pores. While it manages shine, it helps heal inflammation and fight signs of aging. Should you have an especially stressful or humid day, pat a little primer over the oily spots and blend it with your foundation.
16. [Touch in Sol] No Pore Blem Primer
When we discovered this primer, it proclaimed that it had “sebum catching powder.” Translation: it soaks up excess oil so that your face stays satiny fresh. Plus, soluble collagen and green tea improve your skin’s elasticity and firmness.
17. Rimmel Stay Matte Primer
Rimmel’s Stay Matte Primer is cheap but effective. If you have oily skin, it will mattify the surface and shrink your pores. It works for up to eight hours.
18. NYX Shine Killer
The NYX Shine Killer primer is also made just for oily skin. It prolongs the life of your foundation for hours. Some users put it on without makeup just to look better at the gym.
19. Smashbox NEW Photo Finish Foundation Primer Pore Minimizing
Smashbox won an award from Allure for their Pore-Minimizing Primer. It’s tailored to combination and oily skin especially if you want to disguise imperfections. It has a built-in “photo filter” with light-diffusing particles. Skip the powder foundation, this one works better with liquids and creams. In addition, it’s gentle enough for contact lens wearers and doesn’t have talc, perfume, or parabens.
20. Maybelline Face Studio Master Prime Primer, Blur + Smooth
The Maybelline Blur and Smooth Primer is translucent with microscopic blurring spheres. It makes your skin ready for the camera by hiding uneven texture.
21. Laura Geller New York Spackle Mattifying Primer
The Spackle Primer corrects a variety of issues like large pores and acne scars. Not only does it control oil all day long, but it also makes your complexion smooth and soft. Fortunately, it doesn’t dry out the skin. And even with a name that makes it sound like a heavy-duty product, it feels lightweight.
22. Elizabeth Mott Thank Me Later Primer
The Thank Me Later primer is waterproof. Next, it manages shine to create a matte canvas ready for makeup. One of the main ingredients is dimethicone, known for reducing oiliness and redness. If you’re nervous about silicone-based primers, this one comes with 100% satisfaction guarantee. It’s also free of parabens.
23. Revlon PhotoReady Perfecting Primer
Revlon’s PhotoReady primer is yet another primer that preps you for the camera. The light-diffusing components blur uneven tone and texture. It sets to a clear, satin finish that you can enjoy with or without makeup.
24. Too Faced Hangover Rx Replenishing Face Primer
Acne-prone skin needs moisture to avoid overproducing oil. That’s where this primer helps. It uses probiotic coconut water to hydrate your skin. As a result, you’ll end up with a healthier, brighter, dewy face. Moreover, it has no silicone, but you can wear it under liquid or powder foundation.
25. Almay Primer 5-in-1
Almay’s primer has microspheres that disguise reddened skin and dark circles alike. Furthermore, it mattifies your complexion. Customers say although it brightens their skin, it’s very lightweight.
26. Tarte Cosmetics Clean Slate Flawless 12-Hr Brightening Primer
Control shine and diminish hyperpigmentation with the Tarte Cosmetics Clean Slate primer. It brightens dull skin and lasts up to 12 hours. Although it’s free of silicones, it’s waterproof.
27. L.A. Girl PRO Prep HD High Definition Smoothing Face Primer
Fans of the LA Girl primer like how it makes their face feel silky soft. Fine lines and pores fade and makeup lasts for hours longer when they wear this product. Also important, it’s free of parabens and perfumes.
28. Hourglass Cosmetics Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15
The Veil mineral primer gets double mileage from minerals. Not only does it provide broad-spectrum protection, but it’s also a top face sunscreen for acne prone skin. Even with those benefits, it feels light on the skin. And it doesn’t have artificial fragrances or parabens.
29. Pores No More Refiner Primer
Dr. Brandt no more refiner primer is an excellent product that is suitable for all skin types. This product is better for combination or oily skin. This primer can be used all through the day. It provides an amazing matte finish and can be applied without or with makeup.
Dr. Brandt no more refiner primer is handy. The quantity of the primer is 1 Oz. You can use it for a fast touch-up. The primer hides the pores and evens your skin tone. It feels like there is no make-up on your face.
30. Dr. Brandt Skincare Pores No More Pore Refiner Primer
Are you struggling to hide the fact that you’re not as young as you used to be? The Dr. Brandt primer conceals fine lines and diminishes wrinkles. The powdery finish reduces shine even if it’s a hot and humid day. One of the key ingredients is flaxseed extract that absorbs sebum. Another is tea tree oil that helps heal acne.
Even if you’re prone to breakouts, there are many high-quality primers for acne-prone skin. They prep your face so that you get the most out of your makeup. This includes keeping shine under control and disguising blemishes. As you shop, take note of additional benefits like sunscreen, light diffusers, and anti-aging ingredients. Also look into other removal products (momcurls.com/best-blackhead-removal-products) to compliment your primer.