Short hair is easy, right? Fewer tangles, quicker to wash, quicker to dry. Well although, short hair can be lower maintenance and easier to care for in many ways, short hair comes with a whole new set of problems. Pixie cuts and bobs are a lot lighter-weight than long tresses, so can get kinks and flicks in the wrong places, or dry into odd positions. Short hair can take a little more care and attention for the perfect styling and might need tools to shape the hair into submission. That’s where flat irons come in.
A flat iron can be your best friend when it comes to styling short hair. It can add volume and shape and smooth out pesky kinks. Flat irons, however, can be tricky to use on shorter locks. You have to hold the hot plates a lot closer to the scalp and it can be harder to get the control and detail needed for delicate styling. If you are hoping to add subtle curls to a bob, standard straighteners can feel bulky and hard to operate (see flat irons for curly hair here).
It can be difficult to grab hair in a pixie cut or bangs with wide plates. But don’t worry. There are a whole host of tools out there specially designed for short hair. These can have ultra-narrow pencil plates, be smaller in size, have a more compact design and be easier to handle and angle.
So you are on the market for the best flat iron for short hair, but how do you choose which one? Should you get a ceramic or titanium-plated device? What size, heat, or price should you consider? Well, titanium-plated devices conduct heat and warm up faster than ceramic ones.
They are particularly good for natural black hair. Ceramic plates can also be very effective, but maintain a more even heat, making it easier to avoid heat damage. The optimum plate size and heat can depend on your hair length and type, and price depends on what you’re willing to spend. To find the perfect straightener for your hair, we have created a list of our 10 favorite flat irons on the market that are well suited for short hair. Take a look!
- 10 Best Flat Irons for Short Hair – 2020 Reviews
- 1. Bed Head Pixie 0.5 Inch Straightener
- 2. HSI Professional Glider Mini 0.5 Inch Flat Iron
- 3. Kiss Products Red Ceramic Tourmaline 0.3 Inch Pencil Flat Iron
- 4. BaBylissPRO Mini Hair Straightening Iron
- 5. LOVANI Mini Portable Flat Iron
- 6. AmoVee Mini Flat Iron Hair Straightener Negative Ionic Technology, Black
- 7. KIPOZI Pencil Flat Iron for Short Hair and Pixie Cut and Beard Hair, 0.3 Inch
- 8. Remington S5500 1 inch Anti-Static Flat Iron, Purple
- 9. Terviiix Small Flat Iron for Short Hair, Temperature Adjustable, 0.3 Inch
- 10. Kiss Products Mini Flat Iron, 0.5 Inch, Red
- What size flat iron is best for short hair?
- What are the best straighteners for short hair?
- How do you use a flatiron on short hair?
- Related Articles
- Popular Articles
10 Best Flat Irons for Short Hair – 2020 Reviews
1. Bed Head Pixie 0.5 Inch Straightener
Give your hair personality in no time. The super narrow 0.5 inch plates of the Bed Head Pixie flat iron make styling even the shortest pixie cut easy! The flat iron tapers to a super-thin size meaning you can get close to the roots to straighten and style. The plates are tourmaline ceramic which offer effective straightening with a consistent heat. The tourmaline technology emits negative ions to reduce frizz and flyaways leaving hair extra shiny.
The Bed Head Pixie straightener has a range of temperatures from 140F to 430F, so it should work on any hair type. It takes just 30 seconds to heat up, saving you time. The design is travel-ready, the compact design being easy to pack and the worldwide dual voltage equipping it for international use. The device has a long, tangle-free swivel cord making it even simpler to use.
- Mini tourmaline ceramic straightener
- Plates 0.5 inches wide
- Temperature 430F
- Extra-small half-inch plates allow precision straightening and styling
- Tourmaline ceramic technology reduces frizz and adds shine
- Affordable price
- Does not have an automatic shut off feature like some flat irons
- Some people found the blue metallic paint would scratch off
2. HSI Professional Glider Mini 0.5 Inch Flat Iron
Small and powerful, this mini flat iron offers bold results for all hair types, especially thick or coarse hair. The high quality plates are specially designed to avoid damage, as they have 8 HeatBalance micro-sensors that make sure the plates maintain an even heat. This stops hot patches along the plates that can singe parts of the hair, and means you don’t have to pass the straightener over the same areas multiple times. The plates are ceramic and infused with tourmaline. These emit lots of negative ions which work to hydrate hair, reduce frizz and keep it looking super shiny. They do this by allowing smaller water molecules to penetrate the hair and neutralising positive ions.
This flat iron has instant heat-up and reaches a fixed, flat temperature. For most people this works well and is sufficient but if you need a very specific temperature for your hair type, you might prefer a product with adjustable settings.
- Mini tourmaline ceramic straightener
- Micro-sensors for even plate heat
- Dual voltage so international use ok
- Small compact size perfect for short hair as well as throwing into your handbag or taking on the move
- Tourmaline-infused ceramic plates work to reduce frizz and leave hair silky smooth
- Affordable price
- There is no automatic shut off feature
- Single heat which is not adjustable
- Some people found it too small
3. Kiss Products Red Ceramic Tourmaline 0.3 Inch Pencil Flat Iron
One of the thinnest flat irons out there, the Kiss flat iron is perfect for the shortest hair styles. With pencil plates at just 0.3 inches, they can easily grab hair up close to the root, and create sophisticated and detailed straightening and style! It means they are versatile enough to straighten, curl or add volume or flips. This product has ceramic, tourmaline-infused plates which heat up evenly and help preserve the hair’s moisture. This material works to keep frizz to a minimum and avoid damage.
The plates heat up to a high heat of 450F offering powerful straightening. They take around 60 seconds to heat up, slower than some but quick enough that you won’t be waiting around. Unfortunately there is no temperature control so be careful if you have particularly delicate or damaged hair.
- Mini ceramic tourmaline-plated flat iron
- 0.3 inch-wide plates
- 1 heat setting of 450F temperature
- Thinner plates than others on the market for precision styling on even the shortest hair
- Tourmaline-infused plates reduce frizz and hydrate hair
- Even heat distribution to avoid hair damage
- Single fixed heat setting and no temperature control
- Some people thought the plates did not meet as evenly as they could
4. BaBylissPRO Mini Hair Straightening Iron
This BaBylissPRO Nano flat iron has a super small and compact size of 0.5 inch wide plates and 6 inch body length. Not only does this make it one of the best irons for short hair, but it also means you can take it pretty much anywhere with ease. On holiday, to the gym, to work or travelling round the world, the lightweight and compact size means you can throw it into your bag with ease and operate and angle it with precision. It has dual voltage, as well as a carrying case, making it even more perfect for taking on the move. Although you will need to get the correct plug adaptor for different countries.
The plates of this BaBylissPRO flat iron heat up quickly and reach temperatures of 430F. This device retains heat and offers smooth straightening with impressive, sleek results. BaByliss offers professional grade products, with years of quality and innovation behind the brand.
- Mini BaBylissPro Nano Titanium hair straightener
- 0.5 inch plates
- Temperature of 430F
- Compact size perfect for styling short hair as well as taking on the move
- Nano titanium-plated design offers fast heat-up and powerful results
- Comes with heat resistant carry case
- Fixed temperature setting
- Some people found this product snagged hair
5. LOVANI Mini Portable Flat Iron
With floating plates, this ceramic hair straightener is designed for a gentle straightening experience with ultimate comfort. The Lovani Mini has tourmaline ceramic plates that offer an even heat that help protect your hair from damage. It uses negative ion technology to keep your hair healthy with a shiny finish, as the special tourmaline technology helps to reduce frizz and lock in moisture.
The small compact size plates, just 0.5 inches, are perfect for shorter hair and also make this a great product to take with you on the go. This is a versatile product that can be used for straightening, curling as well as adding volume and flips. The ergonomic handle design means it gives you the optimum grip to angle and manoeuvre the device for the styling you desire. The plates heat up to a fixed temperature of 410F which should be hot enough for most hair types.
- Tourmaline ceramic plates
- 0.5 inch plate design
- Fixed heat 410F
- Tourmaline technology produces negative ions to leave hair frizz-free
- Floating plates to avoid pulling and snagging the hair during use
- Rounded edges make this best for 2 in 1 curling and straightening
- Fixed temperature, non-adjustable heat settings
- Better suited to thinner rather than coarser hair
6. AmoVee Mini Flat Iron Hair Straightener Negative Ionic Technology, Black
The special advanced V shape design and small gap from the end stops the plates from warping and increases the lifespan of this straightener. The tourmaline-infused ceramic plates produce a high, efficient heat to straighten effectively without sticking. The iron works well to reduce frizz as well as protect hair with even heat conduction.
The flat iron has a small, lightweight compact design, making it best for varying short hair styles. The tool is 1.4 inches wide and 7.87 inches long, so not quite the smallest on the market, but more compact than a standard model. This device has a swivel cord to allow you more freedom and no tangling during styling. It is one of the best devices for traveling as the compact size means it is easy to pack and carry around while the safety lock makes it even easy to transport with care.
- Tourmaline-infused ceramic plates
- Fixed temperature setting of 410F
- Comes with heat proof glove
- Tourmaline reduces frizz and V shape avoids plates warping
- Mini size is great for the nape of the neck, bobs, pixie cuts, bangs, beards or other short styles
- 360 degree swivel cord avoids tangling
- This flat iron has a fixed temperature only
- This iron may not work as effectively on very coarse hair
7. KIPOZI Pencil Flat Iron for Short Hair and Pixie Cut and Beard Hair, 0.3 Inch
If you are looking for the thinnest plated flat iron on the market for the shortest pixie cut or even beard hair, check out the powerful Pencil Flat Iron from Kipozi. With plates at just 0.3 inches, it is ideal for getting right up close to the roots and gives you a high level of control to achieve the most delicate styling. The flat iron evenly distributes heat along the plates to reduce frizz and maintain the hair’s moisture while you work.
One of the best things about this straightening iron is that it has a temperature range up to a high heat of 450F, as well as 5 adjustable heat settings. This means you can find the ideal heat settings for your hair type and avoid heat damage. This is unlike many mini flat iron tools on the market which have just one fixed heat.
It has a very fast heat-up time, meaning you don’t have to sacrifice time, power or control when choosing flat irons for short hair. This flat iron is lightweight, compact and easy to operate.
- Titanium-plated flat iron
- 0.3 inch plates
- Adjustable heat settings with temperature up to 450F
- Super narrow plates make this top choice for best flat irons for short hair.
- Adjustable heat settings to choose appropriate heat for hair type
- 8 foot long swivel cord to avoid tangling when styling
- Automatic shut off after 60 minutes of non-use
- Some people found the outside of the iron heated up and was hot to touch
- Some people felt that the plates snagged hair a little during use
8. Remington S5500 1 inch Anti-Static Flat Iron, Purple
Does your short hair suffer from static? Do you want a powerful straightening tool that works quickly but is still suitable for short hair? The Remington S5500 is full size, but the 1 inch plates and narrow design mean this is particularly well-suited to short hair. In fact it has 30% longer plates meaning you don’t have to sacrifice more time to getting ready, while still being able to get close into the roots. This flat iron also has special technology to reduce static by up to 50% so say goodbye to flyaways.
This is a ceramic-plated flat iron with a maximum temperature of 410F and 6 adjustable heat settings to make sure you can find the right one for your hair. There is an LCD display to monitor this. If you leave the iron on it also shuts off automatically after 60 minutes.
- Ceramic-plated flat iron
- 1 inch wide plates
- 6 heat settings reaching 410F
- Special technology for 50% more static
- Long, narrow plates mean quicker straightening while still being suitable for short styles
- LCD temperature display to monitor best heat for your hair
- Bigger than mini flat irons, meaning it could still feel bulky for extremely short hair
- Some people complained of the electrical smell
9. Terviiix Small Flat Iron for Short Hair, Temperature Adjustable, 0.3 Inch
This awesome mini flat iron from Terviiix has all the features of a standard iron without the bulky size, including a super-fast heat-up time of 15 seconds and adjustable heats. This, along with the super-narrow, 0.3-inch plates makes this one of the best flat irons for short hair as you get power, control and precision in your styling. The plates are ceramic and infused with tourmaline crystal which releases negative ions, helping to reduce frizz. This means your hair will retain its natural moisture, and you will end up with sleek, shiny results.
This device reaches a maximum temperature of 450F and goes as low as 122F, so whatever your hair type, you can get optimum results without damage. The small plates allow you to get close to the root and angle as you need. The small size and 60 minute shut off mean this is a great device to take on the move. It has dual voltage, also making this an ideal mini flat iron to take travelling.
- Ceramic, tourmaline-infused plates
- 0.3 inch plate size for short hair
- Adjustable temperature settings from 122F to 450F
- Fast 15-second heat-up time
- Extra narrow plates perfect for precision on short hair
- Tourmaline technology to reduce frizz
- Some people found the casing heated up with the flat iron
- More suited to short, finer hair than coarse hair
10. Kiss Products Mini Flat Iron, 0.5 Inch, Red
Short to mid-length hair? This flat iron from Kiss has 0.5 inch plates, perfect for leaving your short hair straight, shiny and smooth. The titanium-based technology means plates conduct heat fast reaching high temperatures of 450F. The settings are adjustable so whether you have delicate or coarse hair you can get great results.
This device heats up quickly so you can avoid waiting around, but it also boasts even heating so you won’t get hot spots that can damage your hair. The nano plated design means the plates pass smoothly over hair and don’t stick. It helps to add shine and stop frizz in its tracks. The small size makes this tool very versatile, so it can be used for styling, adding volume and curling as well as straightening.
- Nano-titanium plates
- 0.5 inch plates
- Variable and adjustable temperatures up to 450F
- Easy-to-grip ergonomic handle design
- Narrow 0.5-inch plates perfect for short to mid-length hair
- Tangle-free swivel cord
- Ridges along the outside of the plates make it more difficult to curl
- With very thin hair some people felt they had to use extra pressure to clamp hair effectively
What size flat iron is best for short hair?
If you have short hair you may achieve better results using a specialized flat iron, with 0.5 inch or 0.3 inch plates, as opposed to the standard 1 or 2 inch. This is so that you can get closer into the roots of your hair and fully grab hair to style it which can be difficult with wide, chunky plates.
The ideal size for you may depend on your exact hair length, for example a 0.3 inch device is great for a pixie cut or beard hair, but a 0.5 inch tool is more suited to a bob.
What are the best straighteners for short hair?
The best flat irons for short hair are models with specially designed small, narrow plates that can effectively grab even the shortest hair and style with precision. You can find ceramic and titanium-plated designs, titanium-plated devices heating up faster and being more well-suited to particularly coarse hair, ceramic providing a more even heat, and working well for all hair types.
How do you use a flatiron on short hair?
First fully wash and dry your hair as natural oils combined with high heats can lead to singed or damaged sections. Add a heat protecting spray before use to avoid damage, and heat up plates to the right temperature for your hair type.
If you have thinner, more delicate short hair, use a lower temperature (see our top flat straighteners for fine hair here). Then start by straightening any bangs, and straighten hair in small sections, starting with the lower layers. If you have very short hair or a pixie cut, angle the flat iron to get as close to the roots as possible.
So there you have our top 10 flat irons for short hair. If you have short locks, you no longer need to struggle to style your hair with big, chunky irons. Get ready for easy, smooth styling with your new narrow-plated, mini flat iron and make the most of your fabulous short hair!
Related ArticlesView All Posts
If you have natural African American hair, having the right hairdryer can be important. Natural hair is hair that has not been treated by chemicals or dies. Whatever your type, natural hair can be prone to dryness. It gets heat[...]
For lovers of heat hairstyling, the worst thing to realize is that your hair has become damaged. Suddenly using heat on your hair can feel like a catch 22 — you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.[...]
Stressing out about disturbing your roommates with a hairdryer that sounds like a freight train roaring through the night? Hate having to sneak off to the bathroom to dry your hair when your partner is playing sleeping beauty in bed?[...]
Popular ArticlesView All Posts
How do you know which are the best essential oil brands for your money? After all, this is an industry that isn’t regulated by the FDA. Oil quality can vary based on the distillation process of each company. Does the[...]
If you suffer from dark spots on the skin (hyperpigmentation), sometimes it can feel like everyone is looking at them. Luckily they aren’t dangerous, but they can be a bother in public. Especially when they occur on the face and[...]
You’ve enjoyed your dip powder nails for a few weeks now, but the time has come to remove them. Lucky for you, you don’t have to visit a salon to take off your manicure. You can remove SNS nails at[...]
Fine hair refers to the thickness of your individual hair strands. If you have fine hair, I'm sure you go through ups and downs with it. On some days you probably rejoice in the fact that it is easy and[...]
Blackheads. Pesky little black-tipped spots that lurk in the pores of your nose. However rigorous your daily cleansing routine, blackheads can start feeling like that annoying friend that just keeps hanging around. Unfortunately, blackheads are one of the most common[...]
Do you wish you had a magic eraser for your face? Those laugh lines and dark spots are proof that you have a lot of stories to tell. But if you’d rather keep your age a secret, then a foundation[...]
Acne-prone skin deserves tender loving care. It needs to be hydrated just like the rest of your body. While creamy, thick oils are out of the question, there are still plenty of moisture-boosting options. The best night creams for acne-prone[...]
Battling with bad skin and breakouts? Does greasy skin leave you pimple-prone? If so, salicylic acid might just be your new best friend. And your spot's worst enemy. Many people struggle with spots, pocks, and persistent skin trouble. These can[...]
If you get an oily scalp like me, you will probably marvel at those people that can wait five days between hair washes. While, let’s face it, us oily-scalpers are every-other-day-hairwash people at best. And an oily scalp often means[...]