Last Updated on
If you want to protect your skin from a flare-up, use one of the best face washes and cleansers for eczema. They’re free of fragrances and other irritants, plus they hydrate your face. You won’t have to worry that they’ll leave it feeling dry and tight.
But how can you know if a face wash is safe to use when you have eczema? A simple way is to check against the list maintained by the National Eczema Association. But you can also read the list of ingredients.
Avoid cleansers with fragrances and perfumes. Skip any other allergens you’re aware of, like dyes, parabens, or harsh sulfates.
Instead, select face washes with moisturizing ingredients like aloe, glycerin, fatty alcohols, and natural oils. Niacinamide reduces redness and ceramides keep your skin strong.
To help you shop more efficiently, we chose the top products on the market today and compiled them into this list. We hope our reviews help you find what you need today.
- Best Face Washes & Cleansers for Eczema n 2020
- 1. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Purifying Foaming Cream Cleanser
- 2. CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
- 3. Dove DermaSeries Fragrance-Free Face Wash for Dry Skin
- 4. Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser for Sensitive Skin
- 5. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
- 6. First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser
- 7. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Dermo Cleanser and Makeup Remover
- 8. Eau Thermale Avène Extremely Gentle Cleanser Lotion
- 9. Vanicream Gentle Facial Cleanser
- 10. Era Organics Natural Face Wash
- 11. EltaMD SKINCARE Foaming Facial Cleanser
- 12. Paula’s Choice SKIN RECOVERY Cream Cleanser
- 13. Simple Kind to Skin Facial Wash, Moisturizing
- 14. NARS Skin Gentle Cream Cleanser
- 15. Bioderma Sensibio Foaming Facial Cleansing Gel for Sensitive Skin
- 16. Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micellar Water
- 17. Cleure Lotion Cleanser for Dry Sensitive Skin
- 18. No B.S. Foaming Cleanser – Natural Face Wash For Women
- 19. Gentle Face Cleanser & Makeup Remover by Repecharge
- 20. Pai Skincare Camellia & Rose Gentle Hydrating Cleanser
- 21. Dr. Eddie’s Happy Cappy Daily Shampoo & Body Wash for Children
- 22. Mustela No-rinse Soothing Cleansing Water for Very Sensitive Skin
- 23. skyn ICELAND Glacial Face Wash
- 24. Julep Love Your Bare Face Cleansing Oil
- 25. Vitamin C Daily Facial Cleanser by TruSkin
- 26. Vanicream Cleansing Bars
Best Face Washes & Cleansers for Eczema n 2020
1. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Purifying Foaming Cream Cleanser
The Toleriane face wash from La Roche-Posay starts with nutrient-rich thermal spring water to protect sensitive skin. It’s pH-balanced and mild enough to use morning and night. While glycerin draws in moisture, niacinamide takes away the redness. And of course, there are no artificial fragrances, parabens, or sulfates in the formula.
2. CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
The CeraVe foaming facial cleanser is on the approved list of the National Eczema Association. It features hyaluronic acid, an intense moisturizer. After that, it has both niacinamide and ceramides. The niacinamide calms down redness while the ceramides lock in moisture.
3. Dove DermaSeries Fragrance-Free Face Wash for Dry Skin
Dove’s fragrance-free face wash belongs to their DermaSeries products made for sensitive skin. It literally improves the appearance of your face in as few as four uses. The creamy cleanser is free of fragrances and tested to be hypoallergenic, too.
4. Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser for Sensitive Skin
Neutrogena’s Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser has the Seal of Approval from the National Eczema Association. It also won a 2014 CEW Insider’s Choice Beauty Award. Not only will it remove makeup, but it leaves your face softer and smoother after you wash. There are no perfumes, dyes, parabens or SLS in the bottle.
5. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
If water is wrecking your skin, try Cetaphil’s fragrance-free Gentle Skin Cleanser. You don’t have to rinse after you use it. It removes makeup and grime, but won’t strip the natural oils or upset the pH balance. Even if you don’t use it with water, it won’t clog your pores.
6. First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser
The First Beauty cleanser contains an ingredient called allantoin that boosts cell regeneration and calms irritation. There’s also glycerin and aloe to moisturize and soften your skin. The creamy lather doesn’t have sulfates, parabens, propylene glycol, alcohol, phthalates, or synthetic dyes and fragrances. Finally, white tea and licorice root slow down aging.
7. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Dermo Cleanser and Makeup Remover
La Roche-Posay’s Toleriane Dermo Cleanser removes waterproof makeup, excess oil, and dirt without harming your skin. It has thermal spring water and glycerin to improve hydration. And you can rinse it off with water or use a cotton pad to wipe it away. There are no parabens or fragrances in the formula.
8. Eau Thermale Avène Extremely Gentle Cleanser Lotion
Avène’s Extremely Gentle Cleanser has a proprietary component called Parcerine. It does two things: it calms redness and irritation at the same time it improves the skin’s natural lipid barrier against dryness. Moreover, this product is a lotion that doesn’t require rinsing with water.
9. Vanicream Gentle Facial Cleanser
Vanicream’s Gentle Facial Cleanser foams away dirt and leaves your skin supple and soft. Users with eczema say that it doesn’t cause flares. Not only is it free of sulfates, dyes, and fragrances, there are also no preservatives and no gluten.
10. Era Organics Natural Face Wash
Era Organics Natural Face Wash preserves the natural acidic level of your skin to prevent dryness. It has no perfumes, parabens, or sulfates. To the contrary, it contains soothing ingredients like honey and aloe plus vitamins to thwart premature aging.
11. EltaMD SKINCARE Foaming Facial Cleanser
EltaMD’s Foaming Facial Cleanser is the preferred choice of many people with delicate skin. That’s because it removes makeup but won’t over dry your face. The two ingredients that reach deep into your pores are amino acids from apples and bromelain. They lather away impurities and leave your skin moisturized.
12. Paula’s Choice SKIN RECOVERY Cream Cleanser
Paula’s Choice Skin Recovery cruelty-free cleanser has no synthetic fragrance. It’s thick and creamy and comforts dry, tight skin. There are plenty of emollients like soybean oil and mineral oil to keep your face soft and hydrated.
13. Simple Kind to Skin Facial Wash, Moisturizing
Simple’s Kind to Skin pH-balanced Moisturizing Facial Wash comes from the UK. The base ingredient is triple purified water. It also has humectants to help your skin absorb moisture and vitamins to strengthen. Then, the inclusion of chamomile soothes irritation. Furthermore, the company leaves out perfumes, sulfates, and parabens.
14. NARS Skin Gentle Cream Cleanser
This cream cleanser from NARS smells pleasant due to natural ingredients like wild rose extract and chamomile. It also has Monoi oil and a light-reflecting complex to make your face smooth and radiant. Additionally, it’s free of parabens, alcohols, and artificial perfumes.
15. Bioderma Sensibio Foaming Facial Cleansing Gel for Sensitive Skin
Bioderma’s cleansing gel prevents dehydration while it washes away oil and makeup. Users say it doesn’t make their skin red or tight.
16. Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micellar Water
Another extremely mild cleansing solution is to use micellar water. This liquid can remove makeup if you let it soak for a little while with a cotton pad. It also wipes away excess oil and dirt.
17. Cleure Lotion Cleanser for Dry Sensitive Skin
The Cleure Lotion Cleanser pleases many customers with very sensitive skin. It cleans away dirt, mascara, and foundation without causing irritation. In fact, it’s gentle enough that places like the Mayo Clinic recommend it. It has no artificial fragrances, parabens, alcohols, sulfates, or formaldehyde. If you don’t love it, they offer a full refund.
18. No B.S. Foaming Cleanser – Natural Face Wash For Women
The No B.S. cleanser has an uncomplicated formula without a load of artificial ingredients. It starts with deionized water and adds aloe, glycerin, and natural extracts that soothe and nourish the skin. Not only does it reduce inflammation, but it also prevents acne breakouts and premature aging.
19. Gentle Face Cleanser & Makeup Remover by Repecharge
Would you like to try a product designed by a world-renowned esthetician? Repecharge’s face cleanser is truly effective at removing waterproof mascara. Finally, you can speed up your nightly routine and avoid using additional products. It has no parabens, dyes, or synthetic fragrances. In addition, it has marine seaweed, lactic acid, and olive extract to revitalize your skin.
20. Pai Skincare Camellia & Rose Gentle Hydrating Cleanser
Exfoliating dead skin helps you stay looking younger. It also allows moisturizers and serums to penetrate better. That’s why Pai includes a muslin cloth along with their creamy hydrating cleanser. Plus, this face wash enhances the skin’s health with Omega-3 and vitamins without the need for detergents and alcohols. Moreover, many of the ingredients are certified organic.
21. Dr. Eddie’s Happy Cappy Daily Shampoo & Body Wash for Children
Yes, it’s baby shampoo. But that shouldn’t stop you from enjoying relief from eczema when you use it. It’s very moisturizing and gentle, tested to be hypoallergenic and safe for skin prone to atopic dermatitis.
22. Mustela No-rinse Soothing Cleansing Water for Very Sensitive Skin
Mustela protects the skin of both children and adults with this no-rinse cleansing solution. It’s actually micellar water. Apply it with a cotton pad to wipe away dirt and oil.
23. skyn ICELAND Glacial Face Wash
Detoxify your skin with pure Icelandic glacial water. The skyn face wash is rich and foamy and full of botanical extracts to soften and heal your skin. It helps restore the natural lipid balance and soothe irritation. But note that it contains willow bark, a form of natural salicylic acid that unclogs pores and exfoliates.
24. Julep Love Your Bare Face Cleansing Oil
Korean skincare inspired Julep’s face cleansing oil. It quickly removes makeup without leaving any greasy residue. Users say it leaves their skin baby soft. Some of the main ingredients include pink grapefruit extract to even out skin tone, olive oil to relieve dryness, and rosehip seed oil to protect against environmental damage.
25. Vitamin C Daily Facial Cleanser by TruSkin
Vegans will appreciate this cruelty-free natural facial cleanser with organic ingredients. It revitalizes dull skin with orange peel, tea tree, borage, and MSM. The company says it helps prevent acne breakouts.
26. Vanicream Cleansing Bars
Old school holdouts, we’re looking at you. We included these bars of soap from Vanicream because they meet the minimum requirements. They make a nice compromise if you like to wash your face in the shower. Not only are they fragrance-free, but they’re specially formulated for people who need to avoid chemical irritants. And yes, they will leave your face soft and clean.
If you’re dealing with eczema on your face, don’t despair. Along with medication and the best moisturizers, you can protect yourself against flare-ups with the right face washes and cleansers for eczema.
Choose a cleanser that gets the job done without making your skin dry and tight. There are several that manage to remove even waterproof makeup without stripping natural oil. For best results, always apply a face cream when you’re done washing.