One of the best ways to maintain a youthful complexion is to exfoliate. It might take as little as 30 seconds or as long as 15 minutes once or twice a week. But not just any scrub will do. You need one of the best face exfoliators for mature skin.
Once you reach your 30s, your skin becomes gradually drier, thinner, and less elastic. It’s time to switch from the classic apricot scrub to something more gentle.
The thing is, most products marketed towards mature skin don’t work very well. That’s why we selected the top exfoliators for mature skin and reviewed them here to help you shop. We hope you find the perfect one to make your complexion radiant.
- Best Face Exfoliators & Scrubs for Mature Skin in 2019
- 1. Clarisonic Mia Prima Sonic Cleansing Face Brush
- 2. Facial Cleansing Brush by Olay Regenerist
- 3. Facial Cleansing Brush by Olay ProX
- 4. PIXNOR Waterproof Face Brush
- 5. MY Konjac Sponge French Red Clay Facial Sponge for Dry or Mature Skin
- 6. MY Konjac Sponge All Natural Korean Facial Sponge with Activated Bamboo Charcoal
- 7. Wonder Puff 12 Deep Cleansing Puffs
- 8. Super Soft Silicone Face Cleanser and Massager Brush by INNERNEED
- 9. Cetaphil Extra Gentle Daily Scrub
- 10. Clarins One-Step Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser
- 11. LIERAC Gentle Exfoliator
- 12. La Roche-Posay Ultra-Fine Face Scrub
- 13. Neutrogena Deep Clean Invigorating Foaming Face Scrub
- 14. Acure Brilliantly Brightening Facial Scrub
- 15. DRMTLGY Microdermabrasion Facial Scrub and Face Mask
- 16. Paula’s Choice-SKIN PERFECTING 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant with Glycolic Acid
- 17. Peter Thomas Roth 3% Glycolic Solutions Cleanser
- 18. Bliss – That’s Incredi-peel Glycolic Resurfacing Pads
- 19. Vivo Per Lei Facial Peeling Gel
- 20. Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Night Pads Extreme
- 21. ELEMIS Papaya Enzyme Peel
- 22. Microdermabrasion Scrub with Manuka Honey & Aloe Vera Honeyskin Organics
- 23. ASDM Beverly Hills 25% Lactic Acid Medical Strength
- Types of Exfoliators
Best Face Exfoliators & Scrubs for Mature Skin in 2019
1. Clarisonic Mia Prima Sonic Cleansing Face Brush
Clarisonic’s sonic cleansing brush came into being in 2004. More than a decade later, the company has sold more than 15 million. The Mia Prima runs for 60 seconds each time you press the button, and it’s waterproof. That makes it straightforward to exfoliate in the shower. Pair it with your favorite cleansing cream for your face.
What makes this cleansing brush special? It uses sonic oscillation technology. This means it doesn’t spin or tear at your skin. Instead, the bristles move gently back and forth to vacuum up impurities and dead skin.
2. Facial Cleansing Brush by Olay Regenerist
Olay makes their own version of a facial cleansing brush with two speeds. Choose from deep clean or regular exfoliation. It’s also waterproof and runs off two AA batteries.
3. Facial Cleansing Brush by Olay ProX
Or you can kick it up a notch with the Olay ProX cleansing brush. It has three speeds: daily cleansing, deep cleansing, and microdermabrasion (if you use the foam brush head). It operates on two AA batteries and it’s water-resistant.
In microdermabrasion mode, this tool is reported to exfoliate 700% better than using Olay’s facial scrub. A study found that after only one use, women noticed an improvement in their skin tone and texture.
4. PIXNOR Waterproof Face Brush
You may not recognize the brand, but the PIXNOR face brush features two speeds and a completely waterproof design (IPX6). It needs to AA batteries but comes with seven exfoliating heads. These heads include three brushes for your face plus a sponge head to remove makeup. One brush is specifically for massaging your skin and a pumice head is perfect for removing calluses from your feet. The company offers a one-year money-back guarantee.
5. MY Konjac Sponge French Red Clay Facial Sponge for Dry or Mature Skin
The French Red Clay Konjac Sponge is a relative newcomer to the beauty scene. It’s made with powder from the Konjac potato, which is native to Asia. Not only does it exfoliate your skin, but it also nourishes it with vitamins and minerals. This is not a loofah – it’s much more gentle. And each sponge lasts between 2 to 3 months.
All you need to do is soak it in water to soften it, then massage your face with a circular motion. Rinse the sponge and let it dry. Once every two weeks, plan on sanitizing your sponge by boiling it for two minutes or microwaving it in a bowl of water for a minute and a half.
6. MY Konjac Sponge All Natural Korean Facial Sponge with Activated Bamboo Charcoal
If you want to treat a greasy T-zone or have oily skin, try this Konjac sponge with activated charcoal. It’s perfect for treating acne-prone areas and blackheads as it absorbs impurities and excess oil.
7. Wonder Puff 12 Deep Cleansing Puffs
Remember those Buff Puffs? These are similar, although some customers say they are a little scratchier. They are made of polyester fiber and can be used with any cleansing cream.
8. Super Soft Silicone Face Cleanser and Massager Brush by INNERNEED
Silicone face brushes are more sanitary than sponges or puffs. They resist temperatures up to 500°F, so they’re easy to sanitize. Use them to massage impurities out of your pores. Use them with a face wash for even better results.
9. Cetaphil Extra Gentle Daily Scrub
Cetaphil’s Daily Scrub is a creamy cleanser with microfine granules. It’s been tested by dermatologists to be safe for sensitive skin. But it doesn’t just exfoliate. It also conditions your skin and nourishes it with vitamins.
10. Clarins One-Step Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser
Clarins includes biodegradable microbeads of organic cellulose in their cleanser. The beads are not harmful to the environment unlike those little plastic particles in some scrubs. Happily, this cleanser is mild enough to use every day and it removes makeup, too.
11. LIERAC Gentle Exfoliator
LIERAC is a French company that has developed skincare products for more than four decades. Their Gentle Exfoliator features microspheres plus botanical ingredients. It has white clay and linseed flower to lift away impurities. At the same time, Mallow extract and jojoba firm your skin.
12. La Roche-Posay Ultra-Fine Face Scrub
La Roche-Posay’s scrub contains microscopic particles of pumice so it has a very smooth texture. It’s free of drying alcohols, parabens, and soap. Moreover, it’s pH-balanced to protect your skin.
13. Neutrogena Deep Clean Invigorating Foaming Face Scrub
Neutrogena’s foaming scrub combines microcrystalline cellulose and synthetic wax with menthol to give you the best scrub of your life. Users say it leaves their skin fresh and soft and their complexion luminous.
14. Acure Brilliantly Brightening Facial Scrub
If you prefer vegan products, take a closer look at Acure’s Brilliantly Brightening Scrub. It utilizes kelp, lemon peel, and green clay to deep clean your pores and brighten your skin tone. There are no sulfates or parabens in the formula.
15. DRMTLGY Microdermabrasion Facial Scrub and Face Mask
DRMTLGY lets you choose how to use this product. Apply it as a face mask and let it work for a few minutes to dissolve blackheads. Or wash with it as a scrub for daily management of your T-zone. Either way, using it regularly will fade scars and age spots. That’s because it has glycolic acid, green tea, and fruit extracts.
16. Paula’s Choice-SKIN PERFECTING 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant with Glycolic Acid
The AHA Gel Exfoliant from Paula’s Choice employs glycolic acid, one of the best exfoliators for dry skin. It’s milder than salicylic acid as it moisturizes while it cleans. The formula also has chamomile and green tea to treat hyperpigmentation. It’s also fragrance-free.
17. Peter Thomas Roth 3% Glycolic Solutions Cleanser
This cleanser clears away dead skin by dissolving the bonds that hold cells together. It won’t get rid of all your natural oil. Additionally, it’s mild enough for persons with rosacea and acne-prone faces.
18. Bliss – That’s Incredi-peel Glycolic Resurfacing Pads
Bliss’ Resurfacing Pads use glycolic acid, an alpha hydroxy acid that releases dead cells and helps your skin to soak up moisture. After you use one, you should see better color and smoother texture instantly.
Other ingredients like licorice root and calendula further moisturize and soothe your face. Vitamin E repairs damage and strengthens the epidermis. Finally, witch hazel shrinks pores without causing dryness.
19. Vivo Per Lei Facial Peeling Gel
You may enjoy using the Peeling Gel from Vivo Per Lei. It lifts away dull skin to reveal a smoother, more radiant complexion. It also nourishes those dry patches with Dead Sea minerals and glycerin. Apply it twice a week for 30 seconds, then rinse with water.
When you consider Dead Sea minerals, you might think of regular salt which is destructive to the skin. But salt and minerals from the Dead Sea moisturize and fortify. Just ask anyone who spent time soaking there.
20. Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Night Pads Extreme
The Nip + Fab Extreme pads don’t care how old you are. They plump your skin to erase fine lines and discoloration with glycolic acid and hyaluronic acid. Use them before bed to wake up with a renewed appearance.
21. ELEMIS Papaya Enzyme Peel
The creamy ELEMIS Peel won awards in its homeland of South Africa. Massage it into your face so that natural fruit acids can leave it smoother and more radiant. At the same time, bladderwrack and sunflower condition your face to keep you comfortable.
22. Microdermabrasion Scrub with Manuka Honey & Aloe Vera Honeyskin Organics
Honeyskin Organics begins with a base of aloe, not water. They add medicinal Manuka honey and Cehami from Australia. The latter calms redness and irritation while the former fights inflammation. The formula absorbs toxins so that you can rinse away impurities. Furthermore, it’s free of sulfates and parabens and it’s pH-balanced.
23. ASDM Beverly Hills 25% Lactic Acid Medical Strength
Lactic acid is another gentle alpha hydroxy acid that renews mature skin. As a peel, it not only resurfaces your complexion, but it also promotes the production of elastin and collagen. More of these building blocks means firmer skin with fewer wrinkles.
If you’re anxious to get rid of age spots or sun damage, lactic acid can help with that, too. It takes time and repeated treatments, but it will literally peel the hyperpigmented skin off in layers until your complexion is fresh and clean.
Types of Exfoliators
Don’t abrade your skin with harsh scrubs. It’s more fragile than it used to be. You’ll get better results with milder exfoliators. Choose from cleansing brushes, Konjac sponges, and creams with microparticles.
Try one of these mild facial scrubs to rejuvenate your face and protect it from inflammation.
The word “chemical” makes it seem like these exfoliators are dangerous. But in truth, chemical peels and exfoliants slough off dead skin and deep-clean pores in a way that physical scrubs cannot. They may also have additional benefits like boosting collagen production and moisturizing your face.
We hope we helped you discover a new exfoliator to try today. At a minimum, weekly exfoliation will help your skin resist aging. Soon, you’ll notice a revitalized complexion smiling back at you in the mirror.